Looking for details of old General Conference talk.

Mahonri1847

Hello! A couple of weeks ago I came across a General Conference talk where a general authority related some counsel given to a man about his debts. The man owed another individual, and made a statement something like, ''what about my house''? the counsel was given, ''so what about your house, wouldn't you rather honor your commitments? or wouldn't your wife rather you honor your commitments made that man? This talk was in the 70's or 80's I believe. is there anyone out there that can help me relocate this talk, session, etc.?

Thanks.

I'm not sure if this is what you're referring to, but your summary made me think of this little story that I read or heard not too long ago.

Elder Bernard Brockbank told how he was encouraged to obey the law of tithing:

“A few years ago when my wife and I were involved with a young family, we were struggling to meet our financial needs, … and we were not honest in our payment of tithes and offerings. We were attending church and I thought that we loved the Lord, but one day my wife said to me, ‘Do you love God?’ and I answered, ‘Yes.’

“She said, ‘Do you love God as much as you love the grocer?’

“I replied, ‘I hope that I love him more than the grocer.’

“She said, ‘But you paid the grocer. Do you love God as much as the landlord? You paid him, didn’t you?’ She then said, ‘The first and great commandment is to love God, and you know we have not paid our tithing.’

“We repented and paid our tithes and offerings, and the Lord opened the windows of heaven and poured out blessings upon us. We consider it a great privilege to pay tithes and offerings to the Lord.

“I would like to mention that when we were not honest with the Lord, we were disturbed and had difficulties and problems” (in Conference Report, Apr. 1971, 113–14; or Ensign, June 1971, 86).

This is totally bugging me because I have listened to this talk a bunch of times. My tablet had problems and I had to reset it so I do not have them handy. All I know is it was in the 2000s not 70s or 80s. So sorry. I will download conference talks and try and listen for it. Maybe you could download them too. Or was it a BYU devotional?