Incorrect promptings?

Le_chocolat

Le_chocolat,

It's water under the bridge in certain aspects. I doubt any of us ever know much of the planned purpose(s) when we follow the spirit, or actual outcome(s),... who is affected (or saved) or how many. Was it even about that guy? What more can one do than act when prompted? Lay it at the feet of the Savior; how can He not count it to your blessing?

Le_chocolat,

It's water under the bridge in certain aspects. I doubt any of us ever know much of the planned purpose(s) when we follow the spirit, or actual outcome(s),... who is affected (or saved) or how many. Was it even about that guy? What more can one do than act when prompted? Lay it at the feet of the Savior; how can He not count it to your blessing?

One problem I have - how can anyone honestly receive a blessing or justly be condemned when they do not understand what it is that they are doing or the result of it? But more so how can a G-d not be somewhat responsible for allowing choices to be made that affect eternal outcome while diligently keeping the most important aspects of the choices from being understood until after the choice is made and the results put into motion?

The Traveler

One problem I have - how can anyone honestly receive a blessing or justly be condemned when they do not understand what it is that they are doing or the result of it? But more so how can a G-d not be somewhat responsible for allowing choices to be made that affect eternal outcome while diligently keeping the most important aspects of the choices from being understood until after the choice is made and the results put into motion?

The Traveler

:confused:

I'm sorry if I wasn't well stated, but as I see it we live by faith (which goes hand-in-hand with not knowing everything we are to do IMO) and it's difficult for me to follow your logic how following the spirit with little understanding about it makes the leap to God being irresponsible for not revealing 'everything' or how all eternity hangs on the outcome. Sorry if I missed what you meant.

In short... what Q said.

But it makes sense to me what PC said to you here (... and I think it applies,... well, to everyone): http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/56442-would-savior-apologize-ask-forgiveness-3.html#post781042 :P

Maybe to clarify. The conversation in the other post, at the core, just seems linked to me. Again, sorry if I don't get it.

Edited by Magen_Avot

:confused:

I'm sorry if I wasn't well stated, but as I see it we live by faith (which goes hand-in-hand with not knowing everything we are to do IMO) and it's difficult for me to follow your logic how following the spirit with little understanding about it makes the leap to God being irresponsible for not revealing 'everything' or how all eternity hangs on the outcome. Sorry if I missed what you meant.

In short... what Q said.

But it makes sense to me what PC said to you here (... and I think it applies,... well, to everyone): http://www.lds.net/forums/lds-gospel-discussion/56442-would-savior-apologize-ask-forgiveness-3.html#post781042 :P

Maybe to clarify. The conversation in the other post, at the core, just seems linked to me. Again, sorry if I don't get it.

Because we live by faith we really do not have an informed choice and that is why Christ can take the blame and suffer our sorrows. That is the simple answer. We can make a choice allowed by G-d but not known to us - because in the beginning we, with full and informed knowledge expressed the faith in G-d to experience uncertain mortality and experience consequences or blessings from our incomplete choice - but the consequences or blessings are not permanent or eternal upon us.

Because Christ is our proctor he is able take responsibility for all consequences from our deliberately engineered uninformed choices. This is and always was the plan of G-d. When our eyes are opened to this and we understand - every knee will bow and every tongue confess that Jesus is the Christ. And then with full knowledge we will make the choice to suffer with G-d or seek our blissful pleasures.

Perhaps when it is discovered that there is no end to enduring - in such light - many, will, perhaps choose the path in eternity of delight and pleasure. Perhaps it is as simple as letting G-d take all the blame and sorrows or following his example take blame and sorrows - not those of our making that belong to Christ because he took them from us but those of others that are made against us. And perhaps that is the difference between being a G-d that suffers that others can have their desires or an entitled and eternally cared for underling.

The Traveler

• 1 month later...

I believe the prompting could have come from the spirit. Especially considering you felt the prompting at times you were most in tune with the spirit (watching general conference or reading the scriptures).

However, our Father in Heaven has given each of his children a wonderful gift of agency. Hypothetically, lets say this was in fact a prompting of the spirit. You acted correctly by following this prompting. This doesn't mean the young man in question has to respond appropriately. He has the freedom to choose. In fact it is entirely possible that he felt a similar prompting that created the animosity he has toward you. It may not be anything you have done wrong, but rather his own guilt of acting contrary to what the spirit indicated.