C'mon now Christians! What were you thinking???

I'm going to play Christians' advocate here...because none of us are intimately familiar with the details. Many Christian outreaches like this combine food and gospel. Yes, they want to feed the hungry--but especially to open their hearts to the gospel message. How awkward then, to suddenly have a group of atheists show up and say, "Mind if we pitch in?"

How can they? Sure, give out food--but now I'm feeling spiritual opposition when I try to share some gospel with those I'm feeding. Part of my crew is not in agreement.

Questions I might raise--did the group just show up? If so, it could appear as a publicity ambush. The atheist representative even admitted she did not expect a welcome--she was just surprised at the content of the response. Was she looking for trouble, or was this really just some random act of kindness by the group?

Frankly, I suspect that the atheists wanted to embarrass the Christian group. Even the Bible belt has non-faith based charities folks can help at--naw, let's go ruffle the feathers of the faithful.

Truly, I could be wrong, and these Christians could be paranoid and narrow-minded. However, the atheists could have been out more for fun and controversy than for innocently wanting to feed the hungry.

I'm going to play Christians' advocate here...because none of us are intimately familiar with the details. Many Christian outreaches like this combine food and gospel. Yes, they want to feed the hungry--but especially to open their hearts to the gospel message. How awkward then, to suddenly have a group of atheists show up and say, "Mind if we pitch in?"

How can they? Sure, give out food--but now I'm feeling spiritual opposition when I try to share some gospel with those I'm feeding. Part of my crew is not in agreement.

Questions I might raise--did the group just show up? If so, it could appear as a publicity ambush. The atheist representative even admitted she did not expect a welcome--she was just surprised at the content of the response. Was she looking for trouble, or was this really just some random act of kindness by the group?

Frankly, I suspect that the atheists wanted to embarrass the Christian group. Even the Bible belt has non-faith based charities folks can help at--naw, let's go ruffle the feathers of the faithful.

Truly, I could be wrong, and these Christians could be paranoid and narrow-minded. However, the atheists could have been out more for fun and controversy than for innocently wanting to feed the hungry.

Let's say for discussion's sake you are correct. You are bringing people to the gospel through service. You want to teach God's principles through this. An atheist comes by. So, you tell them, we would love for you to help in service that you may feel God's love. So, please, join us but just so you understand, we are going to teach Christian gospel in this soup kitchen and you have to respect these teachings and not undermine them.

What's wrong with that?

By the way, I just heard on the TV that this atheist group is a very active activist group with the intent of debunking religion. But, they do service work without pushing atheism or mentioning anything about religion - they just serve for the sake of service.

So... their intent for this particular offer to help in the soup kitchen is suspect but also valid... I still posit that the Christian group failed to capitalize on a great opportunity to serve - not only the people, but most importantly, the atheist group.

Edited by anatess

Really, because atheist means evil? First and foremost atheists are human beings who can just as easily as Christians have empathy for the poor and unfortunate. I think giving them the benefit of the doubt is better than assuming they had "ulterior motives".

M.

From the Upstate Atheist website:

Upstate Atheists is a non-profit organization in Spartanburg, SC. Our purposes are to provide to the public and public institutions our volunteer labor and charitable donations, and to educate the public on matters related to non-theist beliefs.

This is veiled language that they are activist and they use charities and charitable work to get their message across. So in reality, these two groups are not compatible. Besides, if the Atheist group really want's a captive audience, as their mission statement says, then hey, why are they trying to join up with a Christian group?

This really smells bad and the Christian group is being made to look like the bad ones.

Really, because atheist means evil? First and foremost atheists are human beings who can just as easily as Christians have empathy for the poor and unfortunate. I think giving them the benefit of the doubt is better than assuming they had "ulterior motives".

M.

Nowhere did PC use the word evil or imply evil. That they possibly had a political agenda? Perhaps.

Of course, some people think politics is evil, but that wasn't what he was saying, either.

We can never have all the details, but I don't think it is beyond the stretch of imagination to think that an atheist group that wants to "educate" others on "notheist" beliefs might have specific motive for choosing a group that they KNOW will be sharing the Gospel during this time of service. Their stated mission is in direct conflict with the organization they chosen to "help".

I take my kids to an evangelical homeschool Co-op. It's heavily volunteer-oriented. They don't let us do any real volunteering because we're Mormon, and the purpose of the homeschool coop is to help parents infuse a certain specific worldview into their kids, and we differ substantially enough with their statement of faith that it wouldn't work out.

Both parties has managed to handle things pretty well. Nobody has accused anyone of thinking evil, nobody has notified the media to make the other side look foolish, nobody has freaked out or displayed ignorance or meanness or voiced any hateful remarks. (Except for one lady who put my wife in tears, but the rest of them were so sincere in their love-bombing that we stick around.)

Maureen, I think you should calm down. You've made some uncharitable assumptions about PC's motivations.

From the Upstate Atheist website:

This is veiled language that they are activist and they use charities and charitable work to get their message across. So in reality, these two groups are not compatible. Besides, if the Atheist group really want's a captive audience, as their mission statement says, then hey, why are they trying to join up with a Christian group?

This really smells bad and the Christian group is being made to look like the bad ones.

Just because they are promoting their cause does not mean they are anti-everyone else. Why do Christians believe they have a patent on morality and charitable actions. And my remark to PC is in the form of a question. If I'm understanding his thinking incorrectly, he can correct me.

M.

Without fully understanding the details, it does strike me as a bit fishy the atheist group was so determined to work with the Christian group. Now, if the two groups met before and decided to work together on such-n-such terms, that would be one thing. But when one group decides to join the other, potentially not agreeing to the original intent... well, that seems unnecessary and therefore odd.

If the Christian group wants to promote their cause whilst serving, why should the atheist group help out and also promote their cause? I would never put two such polar opposite ideals in the same charity cause.

I went to the food panty's website and it stated that the goal was to share the love of God. If that is their goal, how could they possible partner with a group that has no love for God? It would make as much sense as having Planned Parenthood provide volunteers to a pro-life crisis pregnancy center.

I would not seek to enter an LDS temple because I know it would be disrespectful for me to do so because my beliefs are so different. Your temples are dedicated to serving and worshiping God as you know Him. A non-LDS Christians' resources are dedicated to serving and worshiping God, as well. Just as you would not open your temples up for Baptist baptisms, the food pantry in question should not be compelled or shamed into opening up volunteer opportunities for atheists.

I went to the food panty's website and it stated that the goal was to share the love of God. If that is their goal, how could they possible partner with a group that has no love for God? It would make as much sense as having Planned Parenthood provide volunteers to a pro-life crisis pregnancy center.

I would not seek to enter an LDS temple because I know it would be disrespectful for me to do so because my beliefs are so different. Your temples are dedicated to serving and worshiping God as you know Him. A non-LDS Christians' resources are dedicated to serving and worshiping God, as well. Just as you would not open your temples up for Baptist baptisms, the food pantry in question should not be compelled or shamed into opening up volunteer opportunities for atheists.

I still don't get it.

Service is service. It doesn't matter where the service comes from, the light of Christ can shine through them. It is a bigger lesson on Christian gospel to be able to work with atheist groups in service. It is easy enough to organize the event with the atheist group by clearly outlining the expectations in said charitable event. Jesus, himself, taught in a tax collector's house.

The article I linked states that the president of the Christian group adamantly stated that she would resign first before she would work with any atheist group...

Let's say for discussion's sake you are correct. You are bringing people to the gospel through service. You want to teach God's principles through this. An atheist comes by.

The problem is that it was not a single atheist wanting to pitch in and help the Christians feed the poor. A group came, apparently unannounced, to 'crash the party.'

Frankly, we'll probably be seeing more of these episodes...on Youtube, thanks to our cell phones. Anatess, you've got me wondering if I am paranoid...but I don't think so. The group got its intended result, and I'm not sure the Christians could have done much different, other than choose their words more carefully.

M.

A non-theist group comes to a Christian feed-the-poor event, unannounced, and says, "Might we lend a helping hand." Your busy serving food, and perhaps praying with those who are willing...and this group comes to crash your charity event?

It's not about condemning all atheists as evil. It's about common sense. They could have called first, found out what kind of ministry this was, or, better yet, find a group that's more compatible.

We don't know all the details, so why should we be so quick to condemn our brothers and sisters, and defend the uninvited atheists???

Just because they are promoting their cause does not mean they are anti-everyone else. Why do Christians believe they have a patent on morality and charitable actions. And my remark to PC is in the form of a question. If I'm understanding his thinking incorrectly, he can correct me.

M.

OK...stand corrected. Where are you getting this from? I think you are missing what many conservative evangelicals and fundamentalists do at these kinds of events. They don't just pass out feed. They may have a sermon, they may pray with the guests, they may flat out invite them to except Jesus into their hearts. Having atheists mixed in with the volunteers makes no sense. That this group invited themselves, and then played wounded innocents when they were turned away suggests to me it was a set up--or they had no sense.

This has nothing to do with moral superiority, or who's good and bad. We're all broken vessels.

I still don't get it.

Service is service.

Really? An atheist can pray with the hungry, invite them accept Jesus into their hearts, comfort them with Bible verses as they listen to their woes--all while feeding them?

Not all groups do service in a purely secular way. Many groups so fuse the evangelism (gospel witnessing), the offers of prayer and counsel, with the offer of food/clothing etc. that having a non-believer amongst the volunteers would be foolish.

And again, I think the atheists knew this. Their intention was to embarrass the Christians. Chances are, they view these types of feedings as immoral--like bribing people to come close to God with food. Yeah, the two groups were incompatible, and the atheists wanted to paint the Christians as bad guys.

That this group invited themselves, and then played wounded innocents when they were turned away suggests to me it was a set up--or they had no sense.

Where do you get the information that they showed up uninvited at the soup kitchen? I have been looking at numerous articles about this controversy and I cannot find anything that says that they showed up at the soup kitchen uninvited and offered their services.

Isn't it just as likely, or perhaps even more so, that they did not physically showed up at the soup kitchen but contacted the charity's coordinators via phone or email and offered their services?

M.

That's not what I meant at all. They can "proselytize" and promote their cause all they want, it's just their tactic of trying to tag onto a Christian group with the intent that they can get refused and use said refusal as a hammer to beat the Christian group with. Why not go on their own and pass out whatever pamphlets they want? I know, they don't get the coverage they want. Their tactic is highly transparent.

It is of little consequence if they showed up at the soup kitchen or sent a letter or e-mail. I think the stink they made at being turned down or being turned away as potential partners is the story.

The fact that the atheist group's stated mission is diametrically opposed to that of the group that was

hosting or running this particular feed or event. It boggles my mind that this group was upset about being turned away. What a great publicity grab for this atheist group try to volunteer for this event knowing we would be turned away go to the press and tell our story and lets run with it.

Quotes from the article written in The Christian Post:

Brannon says her group knew the organization was Christian-based before they inquired to help out, but the rejection she received was one she did not expect.

"Being in the Bible belt, the majority of volunteer opportunities or charities are with Christian organizations. There are never any problems. Most of the Christian organizations that we work with are extremely kind and welcoming to all people," said Brannon.

Despite being denied to help, a few believers put their differences aside and decided to help the organization in handing out care packages.

"We were amazed at the support. We had a few very wonderful Christians show up and show their support. It was a wonderful display of people with different beliefs working together to accomplish something amazing," said Brannon.

PC, I don't understand why you think the atheists were "crashing a party". The atheist group has worked with other Christian groups before without any problems. I'm at a loss as to why posters on this site have such a negative attitude to other human beings who are trying to be of service to their fellowman. They don't believe in God, so what, they are still doing good and working well with others with different beliefs.

M.

Maureen, I don't know why this is so hard. This group uses its soup kitchen as a tool for evangelism--for winning converts. The atheists can certainly work with non-faith-based humanitarian efforts, as well as with those faith-based ones that are mostly about meeting physical and emotional needs.

Others are not being harsh on the atheists for offering to help. We are criticizing their parlaying the incident into a chance to play victims and portray Christians as hateful and narrow.