MainTour

I am writing the Family History profiles of Joseph Smith Sr and Lucy Mack for the Familypedia project and am having trouble finding accurate information on the time and place of their marriage. I also can't find the name of their first child who died shortly after birth in 1797 (and the location also).

I also will note that a number of published sources (including MormonWiki) incorrectly state the Smith family moved to Tunbridge VT in 1802. This statement contradicts the birth records for Alvin Smith and Hyrum Smith who were born in Tunbridge in 1800 and 1802 respectively.

I am writing the Family History profiles of Joseph Smith Sr and Lucy Mack for the Familypedia project and am having trouble finding accurate information on the time and place of their marriage.

They were married on January 24, 1796 in Tunbridge (Lucy's own words)

I also can't find the name of their first child who died shortly after birth in 1797 (and the location also).

Stillborn, unnamed baby boy (according to Joseph Smith Sr's patriarchal blessing book).

I also will note that a number of published sources (including MormonWiki) incorrectly state the Smith family moved to Tunbridge VT in 1802. This statement contradicts the birth records for Alvin Smith and Hyrum Smith who were born in Tunbridge in 1800 and 1802 respectively.

Alvin was born in 1798 and Hyrum in 1800.

Lucy and Joseph Smith Sr. lived in Tunbridge for six years then they moved to Randolph in 1802.

Suzie, what are your references for the move to Randolph in 1802 instead of Turnbridge. If our information on Mormonwiki.com is incorrect, I need to get that corrected.

Thank you for the information posted so far.

I've checked on FamilySearch.org and they have birth records for Alvin (1798), Hyrum (1800) and Sophronia (1803) all born in Tunbridge township, Vermont. That leaves me confused about when they moved to Randolf? (Was that a mistake by Mother Lucy?) (And we all know that Joseph Smith was born 1805 in Sharon VT).

Thank you for the information posted so far.

I've checked on FamilySearch.org and they have birth records for Alvin (1798), Hyrum (1800) and Sophronia (1803) all born in Tunbridge township, Vermont. That leaves me confused about when they moved to Randolf? (Was that a mistake by Mother Lucy?)

No, she wasn't mistaken. They moved to Randolph in 1802 but Joseph Smith Sr. during that same year lost all the money he invested on a new business venture (he was a victim of fraud and was left literally penniless and forced to sell his farm) so he had no choice but to move back his family to Tunbridge sometime before May of 1803, when Sophronia was born.