Not LDS....but funny

bytor2112

And I will be the Buzzkillington with this and say Buddhist monks are vegetarian

Actually, I had a Buddhist monk tell me that Buddhism does not call for vegetarianism. Many western Buddhists have taken the admonition against harming animals to mean that they should not be killed for food. Yet, he says, this is not something taught in holy writings, nor is it a requirement. When I visited a local temple, the monks said that when they beg for food, if meat is put in the bowl they will eat that meat.

Buddhism and Vegetarianism: Not All Buddhists Are Vegetarian

I thought Buddhists just don't eat the meat from cows as they consider cows sacred.

Cows being sacred is, IIRC, a Hindu thing, not a Buddhist thing. These kinds of conversations are always a little tricky because, like Christianity, there is no monolithic Hinduism or Buddhism.

Edited by Dravin

Cows being sacred is, IIRC, a Hindu thing, not a Buddhist thing. These kinds of conversations are always a little tricky because, like Christianity, there is no monolithic Hinduism or Buddhism.

Oh you are so right. That's what I was thinking of.

There's religion and there's culture. They tend to overlap. In Juddaism and Islam, the religion and the culture are closely tied together so the dietary variations are not as pronounced.

Hinduism and Buddhism are more varied in culture. The religion itself may not have dietary laws but the cultures predominant in the religion have certain cultural practices that bleed into the religious practice.

But this is not funny anymore. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Wait...I get it now! Wow...LOL...ROFL...hee hee...ha ha...:bouncing::bouncing:

I'm glad someone finally got it. All this talk of dietary restrictions and such when it has nothing to do with the kind of food. :lol:

• 4 years later...