Wearing crosses and blessing objects

andypg

A family friend went to Italy recently and got me a cross. The cross is a San Damiano cross. It's a very important cross for Franciscans. Knowing that I like the Franciscans and that their spirituality interests me, she got it for me. I know most Latter-day Saints don't wear crosses, I'm new to the church so was wondering if I could wear this cross (as a reminder of the atonement and the resurrection).

Also, as a former Catholic, I'm used to blessing religious objects like crosses and rosaries. It feels weird not having my cross blessed. Have you ever heard of a priesthood blessing for a religious object? I'd love for it to be blessed.

Thanks for your help.

if you want information on the cross, here's the Wikipedia page for it San Damiano cross - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Go ahead and wear a cross, while we don't use it on our buildings there isn't anything wrong with the cross. When most LDS talk about blessings they're talking about things such as blessings for the sick and afflicted, blessings of comfort, or patriarchal blessings, and such things clearly aren't applicable to objects. The closest I can think of is dedicating graves and homes, and consecrating oil. What exactly are you seeking for the exercise of priesthood authority to do?

By all means, go ahead and wear the cross if it reminds you to walk with God. Just because it's not a Utah cultural thing, doesn't mean it can't be your choice.

As to having it blessed, I admit I've never understood the Catholic tradition of having an object "blessed". Could you explain it perhaps?

I'm also going to tell you the future here, if you display your cross in public at LDS functions or meetings: Someone is going to ask you why you have it... and then explain that "The cross is a method of execution. Would you want an 'electric chair' with you everywhere?"

It will happen.

I would just reply with Matthew 10:38

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

And even though we believe in a figurative meaning, the cross you have is symbolic... just like having a CTR ring.

As a general rule we LDS do not believe in including graven images as part of our worship. I would say the more important you think of some image the more you should not use it and center your spiritual contraindication and discipline away from such physical things.

The Traveler

I'm also going to tell you the future here, if you display your cross in public at LDS functions or meetings: Someone is going to ask you why you have it... and then explain that "The cross is a method of execution. Would you want an 'electric chair' with you everywhere?"

It will happen.

I would just reply with Matthew 10:38

And even though we believe in a figurative meaning, the cross you have is symbolic... just like having a CTR ring.

As a general rule we LDS do not believe in including graven images as part of our worship. I would say the more important you think of some image the more you should not use it and center your spiritual contraindication and discipline away from such physical things.

The Traveler

That didn't take long.

I've worn an ankh to church and people thought it was a cross and I even got some comments that skippy mentioned. I just laughed and moved along.

As a general rule, Mormons don't bless objects. As Dravin said the closest we come is dedicating homes, buildings, or graves.

If you can answer dravin's question, we might be able to help you more.

I wear my St. Michael medal.

There are enough cops in my ward that everyone knows what it is/no explanation necessary.

One of the sisters in our ward holds Shabaat on Fridays (and an open house/potluck, $5 or a dish at the door).

For Dia De Los Muertos... Primary made & painted sugar skulls

Some wards are more inclusive than others, but mine is particularly welcoming in converts bringing traditions with us, and sharing.

Q

I concur with others. I would do something out of respect for someone. But also at the same time as traveler pointed out, we should naturally go away from graven images. But how far do we go?

Images of Christ?

Temples?

Moroni?

Prophets?

Do you see what I am doing here? Joseph explained it.

"There is one thing under the sun which I have learned and that is that the righteousness of man is sin because it exacteth over much; nevertheless, the righteousness of God is just, because it exacteth nothing at all, but sendeth the rain on the just and the unjust, seed time and harvest, for all of which man is ungrateful." (TPJS, pg 317)

Thanks everyone.

For me, the cross isn't a sign of death but a sign of victory! Christ's death on the cross and his resurrection brought about victory over death and gives us life. As St. Paul says, "We preach Christ crucified. "

For me, that's one of the beauties of Christianity, it's a religion of contradiction! Death brings life. The cross is a sign of victory!

As for why bless a crucifixes and rosaries, I am actually not sure, just something I've always done as a Catholic and feel kind of weird not doing. I asked on a Catholic forum I'm a member of, so if I get an explanation I'll let you guys know.

I would disagree that we "go away from" graven images. Our church is full of physical symbols.

Temple garments, temples as "the house of God", the Angel Moroni on nearly every temple, CTR rings, consecrated oil, etc.

We don't worship these symbols but I don't see wearing a cross as anything different than our symbols. There is no doctrine against recognizing the cross. I see no harm in it if it brings comfort and closeness to Jesus Christ as a reminder of his sacrifice.

After reading the few responses here, I see the majority don't see a problem with wearing the cross. I think more the problem is with the blessing of the cross.

I'm not sure you would find many priesthood holders that would perform such a blessing.

As for why bless a crucifixes and rosaries, I am actually not sure, just something I've always done as a Catholic and feel kind of weird not doing. I asked on a Catholic forum I'm a member of, so if I get an explanation I'll let you guys know.

This is my understanding on blessed objects

1) It sets an item apart for specific use. /religious significance/ sanctifies it. Before being blessed its just wood, metal, stone, etc. Handled by anyone, and destroyed without compunction. Once blessed, however, the object becomes sacred.

(It's partly why most Christians don't really "get" why desecrating a Qur'an is taken so strongly, but do get why desecrating a mosque is. Most bibles are not blessed, or sanctified, or an any other way made special, much less special in the eyes of God. Instead we write in them, leave them in hotel rooms, recycle them, etc. Most church buildings, otoh, are consecrated. So we "get" that.).

2) For those who believe in demons & demonic possession, as well as witchcraft, (not all Catholics do) etc... It's important to purify an object that will be used for sacred purposes ... To make sure that one is actually praying to God and not invoking demons or using a cursed object.

Q

Hi andypg. I hope you're doing well! :)

Take this for what it's worth:

How could my head produce hair, if it was dead? Neither can the earth produce grain, if it is dead. Now, brethren, do you not see the propriety of our blessing the earth—the earth that we inhabit and cultivate? If you do not see the propriety of it, for heaven's sake do not bless the sacrament again. Do not take a bottle of oil to the prayer circle to be blessed, when you do not believe the earth can be blessed.

If you have got half-an-acre, you can bless it, and dedicate it, and consecrate it to God, and ask him to fill it with life. Well, then, if you can bless half-an-acre, why can you not bless a whole acre? And if you can bless an acre, why can you not bless all this Territory? Just reflect for a moment. If you can bless a gill of oil, then you can bless a pint. When you bless a pint, you can bless a quart, and so on until you can bless a bottle of oil as big as this valley.

Bless God! Yes, I bless my Father and my God pertaining to this earth; I bless his Son; I bless everything in heaven and on earth (JoD Vol. 6, p. 36).

-Finrock

Not sure a piece of wood or metal, no matter how fancy it is can be considered as living as something growing crops.

I really am not understanding why a blessed cross is any different than an unblessed one. If a cross makes you remember Christ does a blessed one make you remember Him more?

As a Priesthood bearer I would not participate in the blessing of an object like this and yes I do think its different than blessing a home.

my 2 cents - your mileage may vary

This is my understanding on blessed objects

1) It sets an item apart for specific use. /religious significance/ sanctifies it. Before being blessed its just wood, metal, stone, etc. Handled by anyone, and destroyed without compunction. Once blessed, however, the object becomes sacred.

(It's partly why most Christians don't really "get" why desecrating a Qur'an is taken so strongly, but do get why desecrating a mosque is. Most bibles are not blessed, or sanctified, or an any other way made special, much less special in the eyes of God. Instead we write in them, leave them in hotel rooms, recycle them, etc. Most church buildings, otoh, are consecrated. So we "get" that.).

2) For those who believe in demons & demonic possession, as well as witchcraft, (not all Catholics do) etc... It's important to purify an object that will be used for sacred purposes ... To make sure that one is actually praying to God and not invoking demons or using a cursed object.

Q

But is writing in a Bible really desecrating it? I think most LDS and Christians hi-light or leave notes on scriptures that have meaning to them. Yet I don't call that desecrating.

But is writing in a Bible really desecrating it? I think most LDS and Christians hi-light or leave notes on scriptures that have meaning to them. Yet I don't call that desecrating.

That's my point: we don't bless (most) bibles, so it's not desecrating it to write in it.

We consecrate Temples, however, and it would be desecrating it to spray paint on it.

Not sure a piece of wood or metal, no matter how fancy it is can be considered as living as something growing crops.

I really am not understanding why a blessed cross is any different than an unblessed one. If a cross makes you remember Christ does a blessed one make you remember Him more?

As a Priesthood bearer I would not participate in the blessing of an object like this and yes I do think its different than blessing a home.

my 2 cents - your mileage may vary

Use the Temple analogy.

A Temple is just wood, metal, & stone.

Same as any McDonalds.

Heck, thousands of non-members flood new ones after they're finished being built

Until when?

What happens that turns a building into a sacred space?

Q

LDS do consecrate temples as holy spaces. I found it interesting that the one temple that fell into antagonistic hands was destroyed completely and entirely by "natural" forces.

But Mormons don't consecrate scripture or CTR rings. Burning a Bible or Book of Mormon is disrespectful but not sacrilegious. We do have holy spaces an sacred ground. Temples, graves, and homes. Chapels are also more sacred and respect given to that room in the church building more so than classrooms or the cultural hall/gym where you can have a more casual and secular spirit. Israel was consecrated and dedicated to the returning of the House of Israel (in the 1800s, long before it was made a homeland to the Jews). Every mission is dedicated to the preaching of the gospel.

Quin gave the perfect explanation for why Catholics bless objects. It has nothing to do with worshiping graven images.

Non-LDS people raise their eyebrows when we talk about garments being sacred. It's the same thing for crosses and rosaries, etc. It's just something we consecrate and set apart as a reminder of our Spirituality in the same manner as garments. Catholics bless homes, cars, offices, etc. These we consecrate to be used for Godly purposes and we have faith that the Spirit will protect us that dwell in it.

My husband blessed our home when we moved into it. I haven't asked him to bless jewelry (I still wear my Catholic scapular of my patron saint) as I have the garments to remind me of my covenants but he would do it if I asked him.

The thing Andypg is, there are a lot of Catholic traditions. You may continue the practice as long as you understand completely what they are for and that it falls within your understanding of the restored gospel. If you find that the purpose for them was nothing more than just ritualistic (like kissing the foot of the cross on Good Friday) then it's better to wean yourself from those and start new traditions - like spending Good Friday volunteering at a soup kitchen to remind you of Jesus' loving act of washing the apostle's feet, etc.

Edited by anatess

That's my point: we don't bless (most) bibles, so it's not desecrating it to write in it.

We consecrate Temples, however, and it would be desecrating it to spray paint on it.

Use the Temple analogy.

A Temple is just wood, metal, & stone.

Same as any McDonalds.

Heck, thousands of non-members flood new ones after they're finished being built

Until when?

What happens that turns a building into a sacred space?

Q

Quin, you really think a Temple is no different than a McDonalds or a piece of wood carved into a cross?