Gun Safe

Bini

We have some family that have a lot of firearms but apparently don't have a gun safe for them and instead locks them up in a closet in their basement. Just wanted to get some input on the wide variety of gun safes that are out there. What are important features and what is a good brand? Maybe I can pass the info along..

I tore this ad out because of the price. After some online browsing, I am seeing that these gun safes are easily $3k and upwards. I guess my question is do you get what you pay for with these? Or is a gun safe a gun safe, end of story..

295cy9g.jpg

Yep! There's a lot of difference in them.

The "holy grail" of gun safes/ gun vaults are

- Easily accessible to the owner

- Almost impossible for anyone BUT the owner

- Fireproof / Heatproof

- Waterproof / Flood proof

- Able to be gotten in your front door/ into the room you want to keep it.

Having all 5 requirements = a durn expensive safe.

Most people relax on a couple of those reqs, to save in price.

I personally don't care about easy access for me... Because if Im planning on going shooting, I can plan in a few minutes to do the combo & schlep about. And if I'm NOT planning on shooting, that means a personal protection piece which doesn't live in the vault, anyway (on me, on my nightstand, or bolted to my bed frame).

The 2 areas I personally require are

- Theft Prevention (after being so considerate to would be thieves as to gather several thousand dollars in high value/easy sell merchandise in one area, I like to then annoy them, by their not being able to just pick the thing up and walk out, nor being able to drill through thin metal in a jiffy. I have friends who hillbilly-up (aka brilliant cheap fix) by purchasing a cheap wall safe with a stout door, and then sink the thing in concrete. I usually end up selling everything I own once a decade or so (and move more frequently) so I prefer to have the prettier "bought it this heavy and pain in the neck to drill" so I can resell it.

- Fire protection. I've never been in a house fire, although I've been in MANY floods. So flood/waterproof might be more pragmatic... But I just can't get over the idea of a) not only being in a fire, but a firefight as all my ammo combusted, b) that I can durn well food saver vacuum pack in plastic anything I actually cared about not getting wet, c) that I usually have a lot of both warning AND cleanup windows on floods, but house fires one has moments. So, really, is is just me being paranoid. But I don't want to be either getting shot, or worrying about it, when trying to get loved ones out of a burning building. Insult to injury.

Here are some great sites to read up on:

Best Gun Safes at Every Price Point - Guns & Ammo

Gun Safe Reviews | Best Buying Guides of 2013

Q

Edited by Quin
Links

We have some family that have a lot of firearms but apparently don't have a gun safe for them and instead locks them up in a closet in their basement. Just wanted to get some input on the wide variety of gun safes that are out there. What are important features and what is a good brand? Maybe I can pass the info along..

What is the primary concern? Theft protection? Keeping them away from curious children? Preservation of priceless/expensive guns in the event of a disaster? A cheap safe will keep a kid away from your guns*, but not so much a thief or a fire/flood.

*Owning a safe does not excuse you from teaching age appropriate gun safety.

What is the primary concern? Theft protection? Keeping them away from curious children? Preservation of priceless/expensive guns in the event of a disaster? A cheap safe will keep a kid away from your guns*, but not so much a thief or a fire/flood.

*Owning a safe does not excuse you from teaching age appropriate gun safety.

They do not have kids. And I agree 100% that a gun safe does not excuse you from teaching age appropriate gun safety. I don't believe I suggested that.

They do not have kids. And I agree 100% that a gun safe does not excuse you from teaching age appropriate gun safety. I don't believe I suggested that.

And I didn't suggest that you suggested that. If we're going to go 'round pointing out things we haven't suggested we could be here a while.

Edited by Dravin

Fort Knox is my preference in a full size safe (Fort Knox). I also have push button safe, very similar to this one (Gardall Pistol Safe PS915E Electronic Lock - Gun Safes - Free Shipping) for my bedroom. The second is just to hold a pistol and reloads. I can't show which one I have as it is a discontinued model. I also use it when I travel so I can secure my handgun on trips. Our office has access to one of the bio-metric safe manufacturers at a discounted price. I plan on getting at least one, possibly two of thier smaller safes for handguns as well. I forget which company, but I think it is Barska.

Security, ease of access, fireproof are the keys to buying a safe. You will get what you pay for, so if you go cheap, you have a cheap (= easily defeated) safe.

• 1 year later...

Did they ask you for info on gun safes?

Why do you think they need one?

They store all their firearms in their basement. They're not locked up, in clear view, and accessible to anyone that goes down there. I would think it's not the wisest setup. If someone broke in, and stumbled upon those firearms and took them, you'd feel pretty crummy about not having locked them up inside a safe.

First, If anyone in my family just started looking for a safe for me because they thought It would be better for me, I would tell them to but out of my business and stay out of my basement.

That being said, if I asked for some advice and help, I want info not charity.

The gist of your posts suggest that you are simply sticking your nose in where it is not asked for and this is really not your business.  While your help may be offered out of love, it may not be percieved that way.

How your family lives their lives or choses to secure their guns is not your concern, unless there is a credible threat to someone's safety.  The possibility of a breakin is NOT a credible threat.

BTW, it is my concern when they watch my daughter, who is 3. I didn't know their guns were not properly stored. They are also the ones who will care for my daughter until she's 18 if my husband and I die. So yeh, it does concern me.

This information is important to the discussion.  There is a credible threat to the safety of your child.  By all means you should be concerned about how the guns are stored. Glad they got one.

This information is important to the discussion.  There is a credible threat to the safety of your child.  By all means you should be concerned about how the guns are stored. Glad they got one.

If you check the post date of this thread, it was posted a LONG time ago.