Told my dad I am LDS... scary reaction

BoMISRotJ

So I got backed into a corner when my father asked where I had been today (Christmas party).

I said I was going to an LDS church

Here is along the lines of what he said

"Be careful of cults, but at least you are not a Mormon, those guys don't even believe in the same god we do. If you were that crazy Jehovah witness or Mormon I'd disown you (and he laughed)"

I have no idea what to do. There is a reason I didn't plan on telling him, but he backed me into a corner. It would be great if I didn't have to half depend on him financially. Any suggestion on how to proceed?

After reviewing your profile, I'd say something more like:

"Dad, look, it's not like I joined the Democrat Party! These people work hard, are generally successful and help a lot of people. That's not a bad place to network, right?"

Basically, I wouldn't give too serious of a response to someone who isn't being serious (or at least respectful) with me first.

It's almost like someone saying, "You a Mormon? Don't you have more than 1 wife?" And I say something like "Yep. Got 3 wives at home! C'mon man, we're in the 21st century. You're not still hung up on all that old stuff, are you? We gave that up because we had all those Mothers-in-Law for all those wives!"

I told my mum yesterday I was getting baptised today into the LDS church, she was upset. She threw the word cult out but I think that was just her saying that in the heat of the moment.

My advice is to be as honest as possible, you dad will come round. You are his child, he loves and cares for you so will eventually respect your decision. I know how hard this is - but if you feel truly convicted this is the right church, then you have to go ahead with how you feel. Those who love you will come round to the idea.

Pray and ask the Lord for guidance. His advice is best. He knows precisely how you should handle your situation. We can only offer our own limited wisdom. But whatever you do, never apologize for what you believe in, especially when it comes to Jesus Christ. You seem to have strong political convictions, let those same convictions carry you through all your mortal tribulations in Christ.

I am just waiting for the day when he googles LDS and finds out his son is a Mormon. I guess he does not know they are one in the same. I am also then waiting for him to go on the internet and find the cultwatch article about us. Has anyone read that? It is insane the leaps and bounds they go through to make us sound crazier than... I can't think of an unoffensive noun.

tell him

When my wife and I joined we had months of family telling us all the anti Mormon stuff. I joked about it and explained and didn't take it personal. None of our family has the slightest interest 17 years later but they have attended our 3 children's baptism's. Been to LDS Nativity many times. Some have fed Missionaries. And all now respect our choice.

If you don't come forth and talk to your Father man to man he will feel you are ashamed of it. And that it is something secretive or cult like. Pick a time, sit down and talk to him. Then deal with the results as they come. 95% of the time the negative stuff is from not understanding what is truth and what is lies. When you explain it and it makes sense then it is easier. Remember if he has negativity it is likely over concern for you not an attack on you or your ability to decide your own life.

Be prepared for a period of distrust of the church, but if you are forth coming about your LDS life your own example will show how good your choice is. Invite him to activities explain Home Teaching and ask permission for them to visit you etc. It's okay if he says no but always offer. You never know when they will say yes.

I'll give you a non-LDS perspective--tell them. If my girls decided to join your church when they were college-aged I'd certainly want to know. I'd want to talk to them about it, and listen to them share the hows, whats, whys, whens and wheres. If they did not, and I found out on my own, then I'd be more likely to distrust them and their new church.

Why wouldn't you tell them? Fear? God is not the author of fear. Own your conversion and let them know. If they cut off funding, and your conversion was God-directed, will he not make a way for your to achieve education and a productive future?

Some good advice here. IMO part of the process of growing up is to become emancipated from our parents. To do this we need to completely own our decisions. Once we start to do this, regardless of whether someone agrees or disagrees with our actions they will respect it.

You can simply have a good discussion with your Dad (and Christmas could be a great time). Something like Dad, I want you to know how much I love you and appreciate you, I want you to know how much I love God and how much I love Christ. I have felt Him inspire me in my life many times. I have felt His Spirit in my life and because of this I have recently joined the LDS Church or Mormon (and then bear a testimony). Let him know how much you appreciate his guidance but that you have felt strongly about joining the church. He may not like it, he may not agree with it but if not immediately he will come to respect your decision.

I have had the opportunity (probably the unfortunate kind) to be involved a little in politics. And this much I can say, if you are not rock solid in what you believe and who you are and I mean like a rock you will end up becoming someone completely different with different goals than when you start out. Politics is in general an absolutely disgusting game where the crooks, bullies, and thieves rule and the honest, good, and virtuous are kicked about. And it doesn't matter which "side", they are just about all the same where the only thing that really matters is power, influence and money; ideas are just what someone needs to tell others to get elected.

There are very, very few principled good men and women in politics and I admire them deeply. They pay a cost every day to stand up and be principled. They have backbones of steel; and the only way to get a backbone of steel is to continuously take a stand for what you believe in and to not waver.