Temple Clothing Adaptation for Disabled

Sharky

I was asked by a brother in the ward for some advice ... he has some issues limiting the coordination of his hands & fingers so tying bow-knots or hooking small clasps is frustrating at best, impossible at worst.

He desires to go to the Temple more often; however, he is very self-conscious about needing help with such simple things.

Does anyone have suggestions of ways to help make the apron (hook or tie) easier for him to put on?

Any suggestions about the cords that tie on the robe? or the cord from the cap?

Also, sometimes he needs a cane to help with his balance. Any thoughts on what would be appropriate would be appreciated.

Thanks!

My housemate - has similar problems - she just uses her normal walking stick at the moment but is planning to get one that is only one color rather than patterned at some point. With regards to using the ceremonial clothing - as hard as it for her to allow them to help her the temple workers and other members are always happy to help her and never made her feel awkward or uncomfortable about doing so if that makes sense!

Distribution do make adapted items for people with disabilities - I would suggest calling them and seeing what they can suggest - but maybe after he has gone through for the first time - as he might find that the things he was worried about being a problem wont actually be a problem!

You could contact distribution services on their behalf. Having recently purchased my own, nearly all have velcro fastening.

Maybe for a small fee (or even free) they are able to modify clothing to suit the needs of the user. They may be able to modify the current clothing. I do not know if the same rules apply as with garments but if you counsel with your Bishop there may be somebody called within your stake who may be able to modify them.

As a word of advice from experience when discussing with distribution services you should be very specific about the requirements.

I'm a convert and I ALWAYS have to ask the woman sitting next to me for help.

I feel kind of stupid but I'm a slow dresser, I guess and I think some of my ceremonial clothing is too large which is a problem...

My husband had to ask for help also.

So asking for help might not be as odd as he thinks it is.

But I certainly understand he wants to do it himself.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest DeborahC

I wish they'd make organic, non-starched clothing for people with MCS. I went to the Temple today and my entire outfit combined with everyone's perfume gave me a migraine and a red hot blistery face. I tried taking the veil off once in the Celestial room but was told to put it back on, even though it was giving me hives. I came home depressed and crying. I really needed time in the Temple, but not if I'm sick for days afterwards. We used to be able to make our own Temple clothes. I wonder if that's still true.

I have limited arm and hand mobility. I have made the following adjustments:

for the robe, I have it permanently tied. I just pull over my head. When switching shoulders, I don't take it off, just turn it and insert other arm.

My problem is the shoulders tend to droop. No problem. Now I have velcro (picture drum major's shoulder epaullette (spelling?)

I will warn you, this pulling over head bit, while it works, attracts unwarranted attention from temple workers. B ut it works!!

I have limited arm and hand mobility. I have made the following adjustments:

for the robe, I have it permanently tied. I just pull over my head. When switching shoulders, I don't take it off, just turn it and insert other arm.

My problem is the shoulders tend to droop. No problem. Now I have velcro (picture drum major's shoulder epaullette (spelling?)

I will warn you, this pulling over head bit, while it works, attracts unwarranted attention from temple workers. B ut it works!!

They are probably watching so they can make suggestions to the clothing department. :)