Tell me something unique about where you live :)

Bini

So Vort, which swear words were you hard-pressed to resist uttering, when installing the sprinkler system?

A good friend and current bishopric counselor has a favorite story of a friend teaching a lesson on good language to a Primary sharing time and asking the children, "What words shouldn't we say?" He (my friend) tried frantically to wave the guy off while the children looked around at each other. One little boy finally raised his hand, and when the guy called on him, the boy said, "...butthole?"

Suddenly, little hands shot up all over the room.

Moral: When you find yourself in a hole, quit digging.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally an Indiana thing -- my brother-in-law's family has a chili cook-off every year, and at least one of them always has pasta in it. So weird.

Actually, they're from Louisville, now that I think about it. Close, though.

Dravin hasn't had true Hoosier chili yet. My dad is offering to make him some and Dravin is so opposed to the thought of it. I just remind him to think of it as soup....

And I think it started to make more chili without adding more meat or beans. A good way to fill up the pot with food to feed many.

I was once in the Zionsville Ward here in Indy. I never realized how that would sound to a Mormon until I went to BYU and said something about being from the Zionsville ward....my friends' eyes about popped out of their head thinking there were THAT many Mormons in the state of Indiana.

Another name for where I live is "The Rock" either because:

- There is predominately basalt and granite rock at this end of the San Fernando and San Gabriel valleys.

- The hard biker culture (not anymore, they all died off)

- Drugs, mainly meth was rampant (read: biker culture) but not so much anymore.

- It used to be an LAPD radio dead-spot before they change their radio system.

Just for fun and maybe educational too, tell me something unique about where you live. It can be a landmark, a food, a tradition - but something that isn't commonly known about if you're an outsider.

The Blue Ridge mountains (Where I live) have a blue tint to them becausae A tree that grows on them gives off a gas that looks blue.

The vitamin C factory in my town is (or at least was) the worlds biggest factory and is the main employer in the valley

My town (actually little more than a village) is one of 3 in a valley and about 2/3 of the population of 3 towns are all related!

In my branch at the moment every active member over the age of 20 has been thru the temple - sounds impressive until you realise that we only have about 20 active adults!

Dispite living in Scotland where everyone thinks we have long cold winters - I live on the west coast which is more mild - to the point that town over the hill, and right on the sea coast can grow palm trees

Oooh... I have to tell you about the town my dad grew up in and where my brother lives now. In that town, there are children whose school hours starts and ends at low tide. Why? Because, the school is separated from their homes by a sand bar that the kids use to walk to school. It disappears at high tide.

My city lives in a "rain shadow". Storms blowing across California from the Pacific dump the majority of their moisture when they reach the ridge of the Sierra Nevada mountains, and then will many times dissipate. I don't know how many times this summer I saw storm clouds that looked like they were headed our way that never made it. In the winter what moisture makes it past the mountains falls as powder snow, and it makes noise when it falls, like tiny pieces of hail, rather than large, soft, quiet flakes.

And it's WINDY! Often. 20+ MPH winds. People here buy their lawn furniture based on it's weight, and the highway between here and Carson City is often closed to trucks and other tall vehicles because they'd be blown over.

Football is the biggest sport in the city I live in, which absolutely defies understanding.

Totally an Indiana thing -- my brother-in-law's family has a chili cook-off every year, and at least one of them always has pasta in it. So weird.

Actually, they're from Louisville, now that I think about it. Close, though.

You wear five shirts? I mean, I know Mormons like to layer, but that's a bit excessive...

:D

You must have posted fast. I had gone right back and corrected that.

I live in Copland. Seriously. My ward alone has 5 police officers and one corrections officer. A couple of mile circle from my house adds probably another 20-30 police officers and an unknown number of corrections officers.

I should move to your area. Sounds like a safe place to be. But wait...instead of being tp'd, my house would be zombied.

Where I live they built a tunnel so deep they call it "Deep Tunnel". We have no mountains or hills to tunnel through. When they first built it people thought it was a bomb shelter for the entire city, but it's just to drain storm water out of the storm sewers.

Here's a bonus fact: We have the Elgin-O'Hare Expressway (highway). You cannot get to O'hare or Elgin on this expressway.

Oh! Here's one more bonus fact- We had a river leak out through the bottom. It flooded the downtown area- many of the big skyscrapers had 4 stories of water in the basement but there was no water on the streets and no rain or snow melt. A contractor dug to deep, went through the river bed and into a utility/old underground coal train tunnel which filled the tunnels and eventually the basements with water.

Edited by Irishcolleen

Several people on my street open their garage doors and hang out in there with lawn chairs, coolers and a big screen TV playing College Football. If college football is not in season, they would just sit there with a beer watching the cars go by. Wierd.

Where I live, people actually walk to most places. :o:D

Now THAT is interesting :)

We have a 'designated hill' nearby our house that folks take their kids to for sledding. We're planning on taking our daughter sometime this week too.

I couldn't think of anything unique so I googled my city. Here's some information that I found:

Population in 2012: 16,440 (99% urban, 1% rural). Population change since 2000: +101.2%

Males: 8,356 (50.8%)

Females: 8,084 (49.2%)

Median resident age: 21.9 years

Utah median age: 32.6 years

Estimated median household income in 2011: $102,442 (it was $80,053 in 2000)

My city:$102,442

Utah: $55,869

Estimated per capita income in 2011: $27,186

Estimated median house or condo value in 2011: $401,241 (it was $249,500 in 2000)

My city:$401,241

Utah: $207,500

I can tell by the median age that we have large families.

The city is very much LDS. When I think of my block, there may be only 3 homes that are not LDS.

There is quite a rivalry between University of Utah and BYU amongst the neighbors.

Seattle was actually named after Chief Sealth. The settlers had a terrible time pronouncing his name, obviously. (Proud graduate of Chief Sealth High School--Class of '82 rocks! Go Hawks!)

You may find the name Tacoma even more interesting. Anciently the G-d of the native Americans came and appeared to their ancestors. They asked him his name but they could not pronounce it so they called him Tacoma. In honor of him mount Rainier was named Tacoma, being the most predominate mountain peak in the area. But in their effort to say his name and pass it down through the ages - what remains in their oral traditions is amazingly close to the ancient Hebrew pronunciation of "Joshua" - which interestingly was the name given to Christ.

The Traveler

There is quite a rivalry between University of Utah and BYU amongst the neighbors.

I had family attend BYU so naturally we're a BYU supporter family. In the area where my folks live, everything is BYU, it's huge. Then I married my husband and we currently live in an area that is ONLY Utes. You'd be brave to wear anything BYU... lol