long distance relationships....

So, there is a nice gentleman that I have found myself being *slightly* interested in. I know he is interested in me too. I had a llovely time with him last month. He is exactly what I would be looking for in a partner. Im not in love with hi, but I know given time that would come easily. The p r oblem? He lives in america, while I am over here in australia.. has anyone had experiences with long distance dating? How did it go?

Wow, I thought my wife and I started out long distance, but that was just me in Florida and her in Texas.

I personally liked not being close when we first me, we got to know each other as a person before ever meeting in person. Eventually we both knew each other was 'the one' and on our next visit I 'popped the question'.

I would say continue the relationship via; email, letter, phone, text, or however you prefer. If its meant to be it will be, if not then it won't, but don't let distance stop you from finding out.

Just like any other relationship, it can work if you both want it to.

I was in one for years and it was a very odd one. She was insecure about the inconvenience of distance though and decided convenience was more important than her emotions. It is much harder to be aware of context or circumstances of the other person, tone can be lost via text or email. It is also easier for someone to stray from their commitments, but it also puts a handicap on rushing into things. I appreciated that the moments we did meet in person were hugely important and not to be taken for granted.

If its eternal marriage you both want, distance doesn't mean much if both are dedicated.

Edited by Praetorian_Brow

I live(d) in the UK and my wife lives in Florida. Currently we are both resident in the UK and have been for 1.5 years, but moving to Florida as soon as USCIS get their act together.

We made a long distance relationship work for two years, and had been talking to each other regularly for another couple of years before that. I'm glad we did and I wouldn't have it any other way. That said:

- Be prepared for the extremely expensive dating period. International flights in and out of the US can easily go up to $1000 and beyond per return flight, and depending on the area and length of time, hotels can cost you $500 per trip, plus all the additional expenses that are too numerous to mention.

- Once you're married, you'll get the standard problems that come with marriage plus an additional set of problems such as one of you having to relocate to the others country and the massive set of visa related and other issues that come with that. We celebrated our second anniversary this month, and we're still battling visa problems - they are much more complex than many believe. Most married couples have long had their honeymoon by now - we haven't been able to because of the sheer time and expenses taken up by the visa application process, plus simply not knowing how much longer its going to take and where we'll be this time next month, let alone next year.

If you are both willing to face all of these problems, I say go for it.

Edited by Mahone