To those who are diabetic

pam

For those that are diabetic, how do you handle it?

The reason I'm asking is this. I have someone close to me that I'm afraid doesn't take care of this very well. Her philosophy pretty much is, I'll eat what I want and if my blood sugar levels go up, I'll take more insulin.

To me this sounds very unhealthy and not safe at all. I feel like she is playing with fire so to speak.

So for those that rely on insulin, do you stay completely away from sugar products and other "stay away from" foods? How do you handle this and keep your levels down?

My MIL is diabetic and she handles it the same exactly way as the person you are talking about. Nothing I can say to her makes her realize that it is NOT healthy to eat that way.

She tells me that she is 82 years old and still pretty healthy, so she is going to continue to eat all the pies and other sweets she wants.

So be it.

My husband on the other hand is onset diabetic...he controls it with his right way of eating. And those times that he slips up... he has to do extra exercise to get it down because he doesn't take insulin.

I think it is very unhealthy to play with fire like that.

When she was first diagnosed about 17 years ago, she was able to control it just by diet. Which unfortunately she never did so now has to take insulin. I still think that with the proper diet and exercise she could get off of the insulin. She denies this.

When we bring up the whole just take more insulin thing, she tells us is that just how it works. I just don't believe that.

It isn't how it is supposed to work. But, I wonder if I was diabetic if I would do the same thing during holidays or birthdays. I do know for sure it is unhealthy...but, I know numerous people that do the same thing.

My MIL problem is she ends up spiking her levels then they drop way down, then go up and then way down. It all has to do with what she is eating or not eating.

I too believe that with proper diet and exercise a lot of people could get off insulin. Not all people...but a lot.

Guess the only thing you can really do is pray for her. They are not going to listen because they like food to much. Unfortunately it's the wrong food.

I've been dealing with Diabetes for over 10 years. I have taken a variety of medications over the years, and try to watch my diet, but as the years go on, it's harder to keep blood sugar down. I had some medications that worked great, but cause cancer so I am not taking them any more. I don't take insulin, but am trying out Victoza. Not working great other than I am losing weight but we'll see. I had a pancreatitis so my pancreas went through the ringer, and normal techniques aren't all that effective at keeping my sugars low.

I have found you can't change someone else's habits. I had a friend pass from complications of diabetes. He stubbed his toe. That caused an infection and his immune system couldn't keep up. So, even if you feel healthy, and have no immediate symptoms, things can happen, and fast.

I am working toward reducing my medication intake, and believe me, the holidays suck. Too many treats lying around. But it's more than diet, and it's not sugar as much as it is carbs, and knowing which carbs affect you. For me, it's rice, so I never eat rice. Best thing you can do is have healthy snacks around, so at least there's a choice. Eaters eat. I am starving at 8pm and I have to force myself to not snack. It's really hard. REALLY hard. But if I have nuts or carrots, then at least I don't eat cookies or muffins.

So, have healthy snacks around and maybe get your friend to walk around the block. Nothing strenuous, just maybe a stroll. a 20 minute brisk walk will drop my blood sugar a lot. She may not be the walking type, but if you just stroll and have a nice conversation about the neighborhood or your family, or whatever, then she won't notice you are exercising.

Bottom line: Snack healthy, no carbs, walk around the block.

For those that are diabetic, how do you handle it?

The reason I'm asking is this. I have someone close to me that I'm afraid doesn't take care of this very well. Her philosophy pretty much is, I'll eat what I want and if my blood sugar levels go up, I'll take more insulin.

To me this sounds very unhealthy and not safe at all. I feel like she is playing with fire so to speak.

So for those that rely on insulin, do you stay completely away from sugar products and other "stay away from" foods? How do you handle this and keep your levels down?

Its not safe and its not healthy. But a couple of my husband's family members have this attitude. Also, our neighbor.

As a friend and family member all you can do is be supportive. Ask questions, like you have here so that you know what is supportive. When you're giving gifts of food make sure they are low on the glycemic index.

And... pray they will have a change of heart. With diabetics they really have to want to change their lifestyle and feel better or nothing helps much.

When she was first diagnosed about 17 years ago, she was able to control it just by diet. Which unfortunately she never did so now has to take insulin. I still think that with the proper diet and exercise she could get off of the insulin. She denies this.

When we bring up the whole just take more insulin thing, she tells us is that just how it works. I just don't believe that.

Sounds like my MIL. :(

I've been Type 2 since 1998. I've tried all kinds of meds, trial meds, Byetta, etc. Noticing that every other commercial was about 'Did you take X med and did you develop complications or did you die?' I decided to just go plain insulin and have been doing that for many years now.

I take my blood sugar 3-5 times a day. I will have a treat, but I increase my insulin to cover the treat. I'm not perfect, but I do try to at least portion my treats and/or eat them as a dessert with a meal rather than just bury my head in a half gallon of ice cream. You should test before meals and then dose based on your reading at the time and the carbs you will be eating. Anyone who's been to a good diabetic educator can do this. Here's the problem - a lot of people don't want to. End of story.

I read up on the new developments and I'm an aggressive patient when I go to the endo. Notice that - endo, not a GP. I want someone who is up with the new developments as well. But many patients don't bother with this stuff. Generally, diabetes doesn't hurt, for Type 2s, you can get along with high readings without have a convulsion or break out in hives, so people let things slide.

I had an uncle who was just a fabulous 'man's man' die by inches to diabetes because he wouldn't take it seriously. Double amputation. Dialysis. Eventual early death from massive infection. Between family and family friends, I've seen a lot of people die from this - because they won't pay attention, watch their diet and take their meds. Some don't want to do the blood tests the way they need to. Some never get over the needle (which doesn't hurt unless it's old). Some think the pills will solve everything, but they don't. They don't address the disease the same way and they can't bring down a high glucose reading as quickly as insulin can. My mother's been diabetic for 25-ish years, but is doing fine, because she takes care of herself.

Something else - people who are diabetic don't need food police or meds police to tell them what they should do. There's nothing worse than someone who knows nothing about meds timing, portion size, etc. 'You sure you should have that cake?' Not saying you are doing this, Pam, just saying that no adult who isn't being taken care of by a home nurse needs to be told about their diet. They know if they are doing what they need to do or not.

There is a lot of shaming of diabetics, a lot of others telling them what they 'should' do, etc. Even the magazines for diabetics have to run articles 'How to Shut Up the Food Police,' so people can manage their own lives.

I'm sure you guys aren't surprised, but I'm pretty vocal about this stuff. I use diabetes as often as I can in examples for class, I let my co-workers know early on that I was diabetic, etc., because it's not just my problem, it's a problem for millions of people, Yet, you'd be surprised how many diabetics are afraid to tell anyone - especially at work, which is stupid because you could pass out, etc and no one would know why - and suffer in silence, like not eating a snack when they need to have one, or fear the food police watching everything they eat. I won't shut up, and sometimes have to speak up for those who won't speak for themselves.

Edited by dahlia
wrong name. nice name, but wrong one.

I didn't know you knew my wife. She's been insulin dependent for about 10 years now and pretty much eats what she wants. I try not to have sweets in the house and we do both limit our portions, but she still does not take care of herself.

There really is not much you can do with an adult, they have their freedom to choose. But yeah, sometimes I think I'm more worried about her diabetes than she is.

Edited by mnn727

My father in-law's family is diabetic. My father-in-law was 300 pounds when I met him and at first I thought, well, that's why he's diabetic. Then I met his brother who looks anorexic thin and he is also diabetic. They're both on insulin. A few years ago my FIL got a new ceramic top stove and he didn't realize th stove was on so he leaned his palm on it. He didn't realize his palm was burning until somebody mentioned the smell! But a few years ago, my FIL was fixing his window pane and the pane broke and a shard of glass dropped onto his wrists. He didn't feel that either. So he decided to do something more about his diabetes. He went on this doctor-prescribed diet and dropped down to 220 lbs. He doesn't take his insulin as much as he used to but he would still do the insulin when he goes to parties or holidays and such. But his house is "diabetic". There's nothing in his house that is not in his prescribed diet. Which is interesting because his wife and granddaughter is eating what he is eating. They decided to all get into that diet just so they won't have anything non-prescribed in the house to tempt dad. When they go to my house, I always have diabetic friendly food (I'm into paleo so it works out).

Now, my FIL's nephew was 22 years old when he passed away. He basically had the attitude - I'm going to do what I'm going to do and if I die, then I die. And so he did.

Pam, speaking as a Type 2 diabetic: NO it is not good. Every single organ in your body is affected by diabetes. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

My high blood pressure, out of control triglycerides, bad cholesterol, messed up pancreas are all because I was not doing what I should have been doing, not eating diabetic friendly foods, not taking my meds at the proper time and ALL the time.

Just because there are pills out there to keep your glucose levels down plus the many, many forms of insulin does not mean it is okay to eat all the carbs and sweets you want. Or worse yet to Yo-Yo around using your insulin to bring your sugar levels down. That is THE WORST thing to do.

I spent a week in the hospital on IV fluids only - the little bit of insulin I was given was the fast acting Novolog and not the slow acting Lantus I use at home. I had NO diabetic meds at all - No Metformin, no Glimepiride. Not even my other meds. All they gave me was pain meds via the IV - - oh and when my potassium levels dropped out, then I got that via the IV too. It was tempered with lidocaine so my poor veins, and body wouldn't be a level 30 pain from it. One bag didn't have the lidocaine - it hurt so bad I couldn't even scream, but I did thoroughly wet the bed!

My pancreas was inflamed - Acute Pancreatitius. Now that my pancreas has inflamed there are medications I can never take. Also because of my out of control diabetes there are high blood pressure meds I can no longer take.

The new diabetic nurse I have is fantastic. She is Type 2 - had ignored her diabetes and nearly died as a result. So she speaks from experience, and she now specializes in diabetes/control. I am now pretty much carb free. I just can not give up the rice though. BUT I switched to a mix of Basmati (2 parts), Black aka Forbidden Rice (one part) and either Lundberg or Rice Select brand Wild Rice (one & a half parts). I get the Basmati from the Organic Health Food Store in bulk. It is not stripped of everything, bleached, shined and then 'enriched' with stuff it never had in the raw.

Also all the wheat products I do use are also UN-enriched. I grind my own non-gmo wheat grains.

As for Sugar Free - I am really super careful what I get. If it has Fructose it is not good for diabetics. Fructose makes your blood sugars go up. Way up. Sugar free just means it does not have processed, granulated sugar in it.

As for your friend, I agree with others who have said not to badger or nag her. You might want to see if there is a Diabetic support group or program at the hospital - call and see if it is free or covered by insurance. There is one at the local hospital here - it is covered by my insurance (no co-pay either) AND they encourage you to bring your spouse a friend or significant other (no extra charge).

It had been 4 years since the last support class I went to. There are so many amazing changes now. No or very, very little carbs. One slice of bread or one small baked potato or 1/2 cup cooked pasta a DAY only. No counting carbs at all. I can have the cheesy sauces, all the Ranch dip or creamy salad dressings I want. I can have a tablespoon or three of real yummy butter on my steamed vegetables.

No measuring foods aka portion control. No counting calories. No counting carbs. Just test your blood sugars before you eat and then an hour to hour & half after you eat. If your sugars don't increase by more than 50 you are good.

The other day I had refried beans (3/4 cup about), my wild rice(3/4 cup about) with butter on top, a pork loin chop, and el dente steamed cauliflower/broccoli/asparagus/mushrooms/snow peas/green & yellow zucchini (covered half the dinner plate) with cheddar cheese sauce on it. All the veggies were fresh. My blood sugars went up by 9 !!!

Since my last visit (from the 2nd to the 19th of Dec) to the diabetic nurse I have lost 4 pounds. Husband has lost 1.5 pounds in the same time. He is eating the same foods I do.

About all you can do for your friend is have diabetic friendly meals when you invite her over for lunch or dinner. Pray for her.

It seems that whenever I post on a thread like this there are certain posters that think I am hatefully picking on them. I regret they feel that way. In my defense I have no bone to pick with anyone. But I intend to make certain points clear. We all have our agency and make choices. The sad truth is that we all also have weaknesses. Not always do bad choices concerning our weaknesses bleed over into other areas of our lives where we are stronger. But there are cases where weaknesses can become so propionate that such condition begins to dominate much in other aspects that our weaknesses begin to define how we live our life. This is defined as addictive behavior and it is both painful and harmful - not only to the person but also to their friends and family.

Eowyn hinted that when it comes to diabetes there is a vast difference between type 1 and type 2. I agree and echo this thought. Type 2 can become type 1 but type 1 can never become type 2. In essence the difference is that type 2 diabetes is curable and type 1 cannot ever be reversed or cured. Type 1 is caused by pancreatic failure resulting in an individual unable to ever again create insulin them self. Diet is problematic for all diabetics, especially in our culture of indulgence. But I do not believe that diet is not the biggest threat. I believe that the biggest threat is stress and how we deal with stress. Stress can be a threat to anyone but to a diabetic stress is a more critical threat.

Because the medical profession realizes the threat of stress to a diabetic they will rightfully tell a newly diagnosed diabetic that their diabetic condition can be dealt with medically. For type 1 - they will require insulin for high blood sugar and oral sugar for low blood sugar. Type 2 is similar except there are drugs that can help that are worthless for type 1. But often the problem for a diabetic is rooted in stress and how they are dealing with the stress.

Personally I deal with stress physically. I have also found that exercise changes my desire for certain foods and helps me rest and sleep much better. Because physically exercise works so well for me - I highly recommend it. I also recommend a healthy diet. The sad truth is - that exercise and diet are only the more visible tip of the problem iceberg and will not work for the person that has acquired a desire for unhealthy foods and distaste for exercise. So it is that stress and how stress is address is the greater problem so unless a change is made in dealing with stress - progress is very unlikely. The sad thing is that stress will also add anger to the mix that will more often than not turn any helpful attempt into the hated enemy making the stress even worse resulting in more effort to escape making the cycle even more deadly.

The Traveler

My wife recently found out she's on the border line. With a mother who is diabetic, she's jumping on board early to prevent it. We've purchased a few books for making meals that will help her count carbs, etc. We set up a room in the house for exercise, and will work together to improve our over all health for both of us.

Something else - people who are diabetic don't need food police or meds police to tell them what they should do. There's nothing worse than someone who knows nothing about meds timing, portion size, etc. 'You sure you should have that cake?' Not saying you are doing this, Pam, just saying that no adult who isn't being taken care of by a home nurse needs to be told about their diet. They know if they are doing what they need to do or not.

The intent of this thread was for education on my part. I was basically trying to find out if what this person is telling me is really the way it works. Eat sweets, take more insulin. This is the way of life for her. Not about being a food police.

Who better to ask but those who are also diabetic or live with a someone who is.

I'm only familiar with type I diabetes (passingly familiar with typeII only in gripes... My type I family griping that everyone keeps trying to school them on advice for typeIi).

For type I... Yep.

That's exactly how it works.

When they're working well.

Their little islets of langerhan sank into the sea with Atlantis... So every since we were little... They do both baseline insulin, and the adjust/tweak dosage as necessary. More for pasta or cake, less for steak or bacon.

It's when they get into funks (usually in middle school / highschool) when there's this "I can control via diet" or "I can control by ignoring, Becuase then it will go away" and they WOULDN'T adjust their insuline depending on what they ate that things stopped working well... And we got to go flirt with doctors.

What drives my (beanpole) cousin absolutely insane is when we're out and people try to get her to eat "healthy" (in general) but SPECIFICALLY by wanting her to substitute something fairly low on the glycemic index with something fairly high. Like rice for anything cake. A big ole serving of rice and veggies versus her cake pop will turn her into a sarcastic vampire. I'm an admittedly a terrible person because I looooove it when this happens. <grin> So much fun to watch!

As someone who loves her... I just completely ignore her.

One of my uncles died of diabetes complications, while the other is more healthy than his non diabetic brothers.

She's smart.

She can choose her own life.

It's like smoking, or obesity, or pregnant with #6.

They know what they're doing.

If they want to make bad choices, I want to be able to have a "mourning brownie" when I'm fat, too.

What I do... Is ask what to do.

Like asking where they want to eat lunch.

They choose the restaurant = they know what they can eat.

A smoker will pick a place they can smoke outside, a pregnant lady won't usually go for sushi, and when losing weight a fat person usually doesn't choose the Cheesecake Factory.

But if they do... That's their choice, and Im assuming they either need to, or there's something I don't know. Or both. Usually both.

Q

I was basically trying to find out if what this person is telling me is really the way it works. Eat sweets, take more insulin. This is the way of life for her.

Who better to ask but those who are also diabetic or live with a someone who is.

No, this is not what is done. What she is doing is dangerous and In My Opinion: Stupid.

Treatment for diabetics has been rapidly advancing. It is possible that within our lifetime (normal lifetime) that there will be a cure for diabetes and any lingering effects will be self inflicted. There is no reason with what we know and can now do with treatments that anyone should ever die of diabetes. However, there are enough bad habits concerning health to go around more than once and it is likely that early death for a diabetic (or just about anyone else) is associated with one or a combination of many other things. As I posted before - I believe that stress and how someone deals with stress is a much greater health risk than diabetes. It appears to me that those that deal with stress with anger and or depression are at the greatest risk but pointing that out for many - will have the effect of escalating the problem

The Traveler

This is a really frustrating conversation to have with patients on so many levels- I've met people who do literally everything right to manage their DM2 and I'm positive their A1c will be <=7... and it comes back 12 despite the fact that the person I'm seeing is a picture of health (if not totally ripped in the case of one guy). Then there are those who honestly simply don't care, are morbidly obese (and completely sedentary), have loads of acanthosis and are unwilling to restrain themselves even a little... I just wish I knew what to do and I often feel so helpless... frequently they already know about the sequela that accompanies diabetes- kidney failure, retinopathy, peripheral neruropathy, MI, stoke, etc- they know about these first hand frequently because they have family members that have had heart attacks, amputations, or impaired vision due to their disease...yet they do nothing... so why do they go to the doctor? Is it a small cry for help, or is it something to do?

I wish I knew what to do or say... I wish I could help and serve these folks better. When I find out what the magic combination of words are that suddenly makes someone care, I'll let you know Pam. :(

Also all the wheat products I do use are also UN-enriched. I grind my own non-gmo wheat grains.

It had been 4 years since the last support class I went to. There are so many amazing changes now. No or very, very little carbs. One slice of bread or one small baked potato or 1/2 cup cooked pasta a DAY only. No counting carbs at all. I can have the cheesy sauces, all the Ranch dip or creamy salad dressings I want. I can have a tablespoon or three of real yummy butter on my steamed vegetables.

Question - what does unenriched wheat do for you/not do to you? I haven't seen this as a suggestion for diabetics.

Comment - I did the low carb thing, too. It is one reason I tried eating meat again, but mentally, morally, I just couldn't stick with eating meat the way Dr Bernstein and other low carbers would have you do it. I will eat eggs or egg beaters, especially if I'm at a conference hotel or on the road.

Dr. John McDougall and Dr Neal Barnard both advocate a carb centered, low fat, vegan diet. Dr Bernard has peer-reviewed journal articles comparing a vegan diet with no calorie restriction to the regular ADA diabetes diet. I like his work because it is backed up by rigorous research on people like me (middle aged diabetics, including people of color). There are many, many diabetics who have done well with these diets; I am trying to be one as well.

After years of being afraid to even look at fruit, I am enjoying fruit again. It is always funny to me that I would have no problem eating a bag of M&Ms and be fearful of a banana! It's always down to choice, isn't it? So, I've opted for a low fat, mostly vegan diet, trying really hard to eat things that look like they did when they came out of the ground, etc. Also, you save a fortune on snack foods when you stop buying the fake carby stuff in boxes. :lol:

Whole Grains

Also called cereals, grains and whole grains are the seeds of grasses cultivated for food.

Whole:

 Have not had their bran and germ removed by milling.

 Are better sources of fiber and other important nutrients = selenium, potassium and magnesium.

 Are either single foods such as brown rice and popcorn, or ingredients in products, such as buckwheat in pancakes or whole wheat in bread.

Refined:

 Are milled, a process that strips out both the bran and germ to give them a finer texture and extend their shelf life.

 The process of refining removes many nutrients, including fiber.

 Includes white flour, white rice, white bread and de-germed cornflour.

Enriched:

 Some of the nutrients lost during processing are added back in, but not the lost fiber.

 Fortifying means adding nutrients that do not occur naturally in food.From Mayo Clinic

Dietary fiber is good for diabetics. The more fiber in your food, the more it cancels out the carbs. For example - one serving of Rosarita Traditional Refried Beans (1/2 cup) contains 18 grams of carbs and 6 grams of fiber. Since the carbs are over 4 grams, you subtract them from the carbs and your total carbs for 1/2 cup is 12. Now you also get 6 grams of protein. Good carbs, good dietary fiber and good protein. Test your blood sugar before eating a meal that includes refried beans. I love it with wild rice, cole slaw and nearly any meat. 1.5 hours after I eat, my blood sugars go down by 7. DOWN!!! That is because the majority of the food I just ate does not create blood glucose.

Like I said, I can eat wild rice and not have my blood sugars rise by very much. I ate rice pilaf at a restaurant for Christmas Eve dinner. I tested my blood sugars out in the car before we went in to order. We got home before time to test again. Actually I had 12 oz. prime rib (rare)w/horse radish in sour cream, rice pilaf, sauteed vegetables (in garlic butter) and a cup of clam chowder.

My blood sugars went up 125. Not very good - had I not had their rice pilaf & the chowder, and had three servings of sauteed vegetables & a tossed salad it would have been better. Their rice pilaf was instant brown rice, green onions, celery and peas.

I don't buy any flour of any kind, or any bread that is NOT made with Whole flour. If the word Enriched is in the ingredients, it stays on the shelf. I buy my whole grain from Emergency Essentials and grind my own flour. I also grind beans and make flour. Old beans that will not soften when you cook them, make great flour to make savory food with. Use some of that along with ground whole wheat, use olive oil and add some savory herbs, make into bread sticks and serve with pork/beef roasts. Use bean flour to make gravy with, or to thicken hearty soups.

My new diabetic nurse has me on a no carb diet or next to none. I can have as much cheese, butter, meat, vegetables (cooked, raw and -) and a lot of fresh fruits. I can do Cuties Clementine Mandarin Oranges - because they are tiny. One satisfies me. I can eat one small (lunchbox size) apple - and 1/4 of a banana. All of the berries I can eat in one sitting, but only 8-10 grapes, cherries. I also can have 8 oz a day of organic whole milk.

I eat the fruit with 2/3 C of Greek Gods plain yogurt - the berries that is. The apple I eat with cheddar cheese.

Dahlia, have you sprouted seeds and beans in your vegan meals? I did a RS Evening Meeting class on sprouting seeds and beans. Saved it all in my word program, including a booklet on the grains, seeds, and beans and their nutritional values. If anyone wants it, send a pm to me and we will go from there.

Iggy, Dahlia,

I've been on the paleolithic method for a while. I like it a lot! I'm not a strict paleo dieter though because I have to have my rice... but in the over-all, many paleo recipes are diabetic-friendly.

anatess My son and I tried paleo for awhile. My cholesterol went up so much that for the first time, my endo wanted me to take a statin (which I can't take because it increases my blood sugar). I don't have a huge issue with paleo (was on Mark's Daily Apple board and ran into a lot of former veg*ns), but I can't, and I don't think a lot of women can, eat the way the men do who follow it. I also found that, like a lot these programs, people worked very hard to make 'cheats' for the food they weren't eating, like pizza made from something other than pizza dough. I can't be bothered. Eat a piece of freaking pizza and be done with it. : )

My stepfather's people were from a small island in the Caribbean. We might as well have been Chinese - if there wasn't rice at a meal, my stepfather would feel like he hadn't eaten. I can't eat as much at one time as I used to, but my son makes up for it. We are rice people. : )

Iggy I know about whole grains & fiber. I never heard grains described in terms of enriched / unenriched, which is what threw me off.

I don't want to grow anything. Lots of people in the raw food community sprout this or that, but again, like making fake pizza, I can't be bothered.