Girl Scouts and Young Women?

kjmillig

Leah, it sounds like your problems were more with the leaders than with the program itself. Also, Bluebirds is/was not affiliated with the GSUSA.

Yes, I know that BB was not part of Girl Scouts. Where exactly in my post did I make that statement?

And, yes, the leader was abominable. But the admin supported her. The program is ultimately responsible for whom they choose to have as leaders. When they knowingly retain irresponsible leaders, they are condoning the actions of those leaders and sending a message that the behaviours and actions involved are acceptable to the organization. By keeping the leader in place, the organization is saying that alcohol at an official BB activity is acceptable to them. By not taking any action regarding the other issues, they are saying that those actions are okay by them.

Yeh Bluebirds was part of the Camp Fire girls program.

Yes, I knew that. I never said it was part of Girl Scouts. We chose something other than GS deliberately. Only to end up in an organization with no values at all. Other than to keep leaders no matter what kind of behaviors they engaged in. We wanted an organization that our daughter could join to make friends, have enriching experiences. Instead, her safety was put in danger, she was exposed to drunken adults at an offical function, and was the target of despicable behavior instigated by the leader and other adults.

We went all the way up the chain of command and no one in the organization saw the slightest thing wrong with the behaviors of the adults involved. If this kind of behavior happend through say, Boy Scouts...alcohol at an official function, ignoring childrens' safety (not to mention the law) by transporting children without seatbelts....I doubt too many parents would sit idly by, nor would the organization condone such behavior.

Best two Fireside girls patches: The "a-DUR!" patch for reaching a late understanding of the blatantly obvious, and the "Wouldn't Know Cute if it Bit Your Legs Off" patch for failing to appreciate what's standing right in front of your eyes.

(Although the latter patch is sometimes awarded by mistake. If you recall, he had actually calculated her cuteness factor and built it into his machine.)

Yes, I know that BB was not part of Girl Scouts. Where exactly in my post did I make that statement?

I didn't say that you did. But you complained about a girls organization in a thread that is specifically discussing Girl Scouts, so it's not that hard to infer that it's possible that you thought that Bluebirds were part of Girl Scouts.

The program is ultimately responsible for whom they choose to have as leaders.

Just out of curiosity, have you ever participated as a leader in an organization such as Campfire Girls, GSUSA, BSA, or 4H? The organization doesn't choose the leaders. They take the people who volunteer.

When they knowingly retain irresponsible leaders, they are condoning the actions of those leaders and sending a message that the behaviours and actions involved are acceptable to the organization. By keeping the leader in place, the organization is saying that alcohol at an official BB activity is acceptable to them. By not taking any action regarding the other issues, they are saying that those actions are okay by them.

Retaining irresponsible leaders is different from choosing them in the first place. And I agree completely with you in this part of the complaint.

• 4 weeks later...

I believe the reason the Church doesn't use the Girl Scout program is that they refused to change their annual Cookie Sale to an annual Jello Sale.

That's the rumor I heard at least....... I heard it from a member in my ward whose third cousin's barber's sister in law is in the same ward as a G.A.'s sons dentist -- so its no doubt true.

:)

Edited by mnn727

• 5 months later...

Girls can participate in Boy Scouts through the venturing program (Start a girl only crew?). So if it was only about a worldly stand point, lacking a spiritual aspect, or inflexibility of the organization they would be able to participate with a program already ok'ed for the young men.

I haven't seen much desire to participate in any of the various scouting programs from the young women in my ward, while I was a youth. I think that may have some part to do with it. The young womens program is also a very good program (can be with good leaders, like any other program).

There are also political stances taken, and policies that I don't think the church would be quite comfortable with.

Oh, I gotta tell y'all...

We had one of our youth get the Eagle Scout a few weeks ago.  And then one of our young women got a medal for something (I can't remember the name) the following week.  It's interesting that the Eagle Scout got announced by the bishop at sacrament meeting but he didn't have to go up to the podium.  The young woman got awarded her medal by the bishop at sacrament meeting so she had to go up the podium and the bishop said this medal is equivalent to the Eagle Scout award and is just as tough, if not more so, than the requirements for Eagle.

Also, the Eagle Scout received his badge (or certificate?) in a Boy Scout Activity - and it was not very well attended.  The Young Woman received some certificate at a Young Women Activity and it was a very well prepared, well presented, well attended event.

Somehow I expected the Boy Scout Activity to be just as prepared/presented/attended but it wasn't.  So, I recount this experience in this thread simply to say, the Church's youth activity - whether it be Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, or whatever - truly depends more on the leadership than the activity itself.  We have really good Young Women Leaders right now...

I don't buy Girl Scout cookies because of their connection to Planned Parenthood.

Q: Does GSUSA have a relationship with Planned Parenthood?

A: No, Girl Scouts of the USA does not have a relationship or partnership with Planned Parenthood.

https://www.girlscouts.org/program/basics/faith/faqs.asp

M.

I've seen this exact thing too...

When I was awarded eagle there were more people from outside the church (non-family scouters) driving hours to attend than people from the ward...including the scouts that were there because they were in the troop.

Q: Does GSUSA have a relationship with Planned Parenthood?

A: No, Girl Scouts of the USA does not have a relationship or partnership with Planned Parenthood.

https://www.girlscouts.org/program/basics/faith/faqs.asp

M.

Sorry I don't accept the answer from their own website. There have been too many things put out that state contrary to this.

Sorry I don't accept the answer from their own website. There have been too many things put out that state contrary to this.

Really? Isn't that being a little hypocritical? Don't you feel that if someone wants to learn about the LDS church they should ask a member or go to an official site? Shouldn't you apply the same reasoning to the Girl Scouts?

M. 

Their claim on a national level may be true but not on local and regional levels.

The Girl Scouts have asserted that the national organization "maintains a neutral position on abortion and birth control," but local chapters may partner with outside groups in covering those issues:

The GSUSA officially maintains a neutral position on abortion and birth control. Because the organization has a two-tiered leadership structure, however, local or regional chapters have the autonomy to partner with organizations of their choice, which may include, say, Planned Parenthood affiliates (or, for that matter, conservative organizations).

"In some areas of the country, Girl Scout troops or groups may choose to hold discussions about human sexuality and may choose to collaborate with a local organization that specializes in these areas," said the GSUSA in a statement. "The topic is discussed from a factual, informative point of view and does not include advocacy or promotion of any social or religious perspective."

The fact that any local unit partners with Planned Parenthood is enough for me.  It  is my personal choice as to whether I want to support or not an organization.  I don't need anyone telling me I'm being hypocritical.  It's my choice.  Nor do I judge anyone that doesn't agree with that.  Again it's a personal choice.

I found the above statement in a couple of places on the internet.  Here is one article link:

Pam, I've read over the information provided at https://www.girlscouts.org/ and compared it with your link and I would equate the link you provided as anti-girl scout propaganda. If you want to be fair, go to the Girl Scout link and read over what they say about their organization and then decide if you are still against them or not.

M.

Pam, I've read over the information provided at https://www.girlscouts.org/ and compared it with your link and I would equate the link you provided as anti-girl scout propaganda. If you want to be fair, go to the Girl Scout link and read over what they say about their organization and then decide if you are still against them or not.

M.

Maureen, I've been studying this for quite some time now.  I stand by my choice.  And again it is MY personal choice.  If people disagree with me I'm okay with that.  And for the record..the quote I provided is from snopes.  

M.

Maureen, just want to put my 2 cents in... Pam is correct.  The national organization is neutral - neither for nor against and the national organization does not have any associations with Planned Parenthood.  The lower levels may or may not affiliate with such organizations.  There's nothing in the charter that tells them they can't.  Girl Scout associations with "Planned Parenthood" type organizations have been splashed on news outlets since the 60's.

Maureen, just want to put my 2 cents in... Pam is correct.  The national organization is neutral - neither for nor against and the national organization does not have any associations with Planned Parenthood.  The lower levels may or may not affiliate with such organizations.  There's nothing in the charter that tells them they can't.  Girl Scout associations with "Planned Parenthood" type organizations have been splashed on news outlets since the 60's.

Pam's quote is correct but her interpretation of the quote to mean that the Girl Scouts are connected with Planned Parenthood is off base. They deny that as a national group they are affiliated with PP, but allow local groups to partner with other organizations, even PP. The local groups who partner with other organizations, also require parent's permission to do so. So if the local group, along with the parents connected with that group are of like mindedness than what's the problem? But to misrepresent the facts with a blanket statement that is false is puzzling to me.

M. 

Pam's quote is correct but her interpretation of the quote to mean that the Girl Scouts are connected with Planned Parenthood is off base. They deny that as a national group they are affiliated with PP, but allow local groups to partner with other organizations, even PP. The local groups who partner with other organizations, also require parent's permission to do so. So if the local group, along with the parents connected with that group are of like mindedness than what's the problem? But to misrepresent the facts with a blanket statement that is false is puzzling to me.

M. 

I don't understand you.

If a local charter of the Girl Scouts are associated with PP then it is not incorrect to say Girl Scouts are associated with PP.

And here's the problem:  If the GSA would have said - we restrict our charters to associate with PP or use PP materials to teach Girl Scouts about family planning, then Pam would be behind it.  But because the GSA allow their charters to associate with PP, Pam won't buy their cookies.

But, the end-all be-all of this discussion is this:  Pam should not have to defend herself to you about who she decides not to buy cookies from.

The national organization is neutral - neither for nor against and the national organization does not have any associations with Planned Parenthood.  The lower levels may or may not affiliate with such organizations.  There's nothing in the charter that tells them they can't.  Girl Scout associations with "Planned Parenthood" type organizations have been splashed on news outlets since the 60's.

What anatess said.  As I mentioned back when this thread started, we ended up shopping for Girl Scout troops and actually ended up driving past two or three other troops to get our girls to the one we chose.  There were several my wife looked at but decided against.  I'm trying to remember back to the reasoning she gave me - the one run by a bunch of mormons looked too much like an extra two testimony meetings each month.  Another one seemed to be run by mommies of opposing political persuasion interested in instilling said persuasions in the girls.  

We picked one with lots of military and a few mormons, run by people not very interested in working everyone to death to make high cookie sales.  The emphasis was on socialization and earning the various fun patches and badges.  To the extent the troop was biased towards a particular morality or faith or political bent, it was pretty much one we shared.

Nobody ever talked about planned parenthood or any related topic.  It just wasn't something the troop was going to get involved in.