Girl Scouts and Young Women?

kjmillig

...If a local charter of the Girl Scouts are associated with PP then it is not incorrect to say Girl Scouts are associated with PP...

If a local troup is associated with PP, then those local members are all in agreement to be associated with PP. The national organization allows individual troups to be associated with other organizations, but just because they are allowed does not prove that even one troup is affiliated with PP. I personally have no problem with PP. They provide education, and it's better to be educated than ignorant. If a person is against PP, then don't associate with that particular GS troup that might be associated with them, find a different troup.

M.

Bottom line, IMHO, is that GSUSA is about as responsible for its local units' alliances with Planned Parenthood, as the LDS Church is responsible for the actions of its local units at Mountain Meadows.

(There, have I offended everybody?)

Bottom line, IMHO, is that GSUSA is about as responsible for its local units' alliances with Planned Parenthood, as the LDS Church is responsible for the actions of its local units at Mountain Meadows.

(There, have I offended everybody?)

I disagree with this analogy. There are boy scout leaders who have done reprehensible things -- that would be more accurate as to the Mountain Meadows analogy IMHO. Even better would be the idea that there are certainly some Mormons out there who support planned parenthood. So would it be accurate to say the church, accordingly, supports planned parenthood? No. However, if members of the church supported it and the church took a sanctioning response (either by saying nothing, thereby giving tacit approval, or by actually stating that they supported the decisions of their members) then it would be appropriate to say the church supported planned parenthood. The church's response to the Mountain Meadow's massacre was not approval, tacit or otherwise.

I don't know a lot about the Girl Scouts, but I'm guessing they've never censured or otherwise disapproved of local units for supporting planned parenthood, and thereby it would be accurate to say that they support it.

I disagree with this analogy. There are boy scout leaders who have done reprehensible things -- that would be more accurate as to the Mountain Meadows analogy IMHO. Even better would be the idea that there are certainly some Mormons out there who support planned parenthood. So would it be accurate to say the church, accordingly, supports planned parenthood? No. However, if members of the church supported it and the church took a sanctioning response (either by saying nothing, thereby giving tacit approval, or by actually stating that they supported the decisions of their members) then it would be appropriate to say the church supported planned parenthood. The church's response to the Mountain Meadow's massacre was not approval, tacit or otherwise.

I don't know a lot about the Girl Scouts, but I'm guessing they've never censured or otherwise disapproved of local units for supporting planned parenthood, and thereby it would be accurate to say that they support it.

And TFP wins the internet.