Guitars in sacrament meeting?

gualeguaychu

I think there is a place for classic guitar in the church if the instrument is played well in order to keep in harmony with the Spirit for example, if someone can play a piece in sacrament meeting like the video below, then great... if someone just makes a lot of noise and lacks good harmony with the instrument, then no:

I've never seen anybody play guitar on sacrament meeting either. I have brought my guitar to Singing Time in Primary and Nursery and to Ward parties and my son's baptism. But never in sacrament meeting. I think there's a rule about it.

When I first joined the church many moons ago there was a family who used to play guitar in sacrament meeting almost every week. But since returning from my period of inactivity I've not seen one played. Some elders played but not in sacrament meeting.

Edited by GB-UK

I've never seen anybody play guitar on sacrament meeting either. I have brought my guitar to Singing Time in Primary and Nursery and to Ward parties and my son's baptism. But never in sacrament meeting. I think there's a rule about it.

Not really.

"Organs and pianos, or their electronic equivalents, are the standard instruments used in Church meetings. If other instruments are used, their use should be in keeping with the spirit of the meeting. Instruments with a prominent or less worshipful sound, such as most brass and percussion, are not appropriate for sacrament meeting."

Handbook 2 - 14.4.2

When I served in a bishopric and previously - the guitar was not an instrument approved for Sacrament meeting. I believe that the guitar is currently not approved. The rare times that posters have experienced the guitar in sacrament music is likely because someone was not aware that the guitar is not approved.

That said and as a guitarists myself I personally think that the guitar as an instrument can be played in a sacred manner and that in speculating - I think that some may bend to popular trends and tend toward methods that may not maintain a high spiritual format standards as the reason why the guitar may not be approved.

There are a number of excellent recordings of the music of the restoration played on guitar that I personally find very enjoyable and part of my sabbath meditations. I thought to recommend but a web search of "Mormon Classical Guitar" will render a much better list.

The Traveler

Traveler, I believe the 1998 handbook specified that Woodwind instruments were the only instruments suitable for Sacrament meeting beyond the organ and piano. Based on the 2010 handbooks, it seems the stance has softened some. It would be up to the local priesthood leaders to determine if the instrument and the style of play were conducive to the spirit.

Traveler, I believe the 1998 handbook specified that Woodwind instruments were the only instruments suitable for Sacrament meeting beyond the organ and piano.

Then why have we had a cellist, but no contrabassoon? I want to hear How Great Thou Art from a contrabassoon and contrabass saxophone duet. Maybe the cellist can play the alto part.

• 1 year later...

I haven't heard a guitar played in sacrament meeting myself, but I've played in primary and at ward activities. A former teacher of mine is an accomplished classical guitarist and has played in his sacrament meeting from time to time with the approval of his bishop. Because of the electric guitar's association with rock & roll it is often seen as inappropriate for worship, but I think the guitar can be reverent and beautiful and I would like to see it become a more prominent instrument in LDS culture. The piano could be played in a very irreverent manner as well (think Jerry Lewis style), so it's not just a question of which instrument is being played but also the manner in which it is played. If you're not sure if your bishop would approve of a guitar in sacrament meeting, put together an arrangement and play it for him. It never hurts to ask, right? :)

Traveler, I believe the 1998 handbook specified that Woodwind instruments were the only instruments suitable for Sacrament meeting beyond the organ and piano. Based on the 2010 handbooks, it seems the stance has softened some. It would be up to the local priesthood leaders to determine if the instrument and the style of play were conducive to the spirit.

What about bagpipes in sacrament meeting? Are they a woodwind? An organ? Maybe both? (If they're both maybe that makes them doubly appropriate ..?)

;)

In my nearly 5 decades of sacrament meeting attendance, I've seen special musical numbers featuring violins, cellos, flutes and harps, but never a guitar (except for that church in Las Vegas, but it wasn't LDS). Has anyone here seen an acoustic guitar performance in a sacrament meeting? Just curious.

You forgot the piano...it is a string instrument. The Church I grew up in canceled a gospel singing because they would not allow string instruments. The Pastor got angry when my uncle reminded him that a piano was a string instrument. :)

I had never seen a guitar in Sacrament meeting until a new counsellor was called in the bishopric. This counsellor and his daughter have spent years doing professional performances around town and elsewhere and they are both very talented. After he was called, we started seeing and hearing him and his daughter and his guitar in sacrament meeting about every month for six months or so. Then it stopped. I was quite surprised when I first heard it, I believe the previous Handbook of Instruction specifically prohibited a range of instruments, including guitar, but I've heard that the current Handbook does not contain any such prohibition.