Pres Hinckley and Pres Monson - style? focus?

dahlia

I have seen a few videos of President Hinckley and from listening to ward members, get the impression that he was quite loved. It never dawned on me until now, to ask why he was loved.

So, in an effort to learn more about the Church, can folks tell me:

1. What was it about Pres Hinckley that you admired?

2. How would you compare / contrast the styles of Pres Hinckley vs Pres Monson?

3. What, if anything, were the central themes of the Hinckley presidency? The Monson presidency?

1. I admired President Hinckley's straightforward style, with just enough of a folksy touch to make you think "grandpa".

2. President Hinckley told stories designed to illustrate his point. Period. President Monson's stories are also always designed to illustrate his point, but it is evident that he takes pleasure in the telling.

3. Not sure I can answer that. I'm not even sure such themes become obvious until several years (at least) after the administration changes. But one of President Hinckley's themes was certainly to set the groundwork for growing into a large, worldwide organization. This effort started at least as far back as President McKay and saw a lot of development during President Kimball's tenure, but President Hinckley brought us more or less to where we are today.

3. Not sure I can answer that. I'm not even sure such themes become obvious until several years (at least) after the administration changes.

I thought that might be the case, but wondered if they ever did things like announce 'this is the year of X,' etc.

To me, it appears that the year 10/12-10/13 (and maybe into 2014) has been the year of the missionaries, or the year of increased focus on spreading the gospel (hastening the work of salvation?). Between lowering the missionary ages and really pressing the membership to increase individual missionary work, it seems like a lot attention is being put on missionary related activities. Not that this hasn't been important before, but it seems to be stressed a lot this past year. That's just the view from a member; the leadership may have something else on its mind.

1. What was it about Pres Hinckley that you admired?

His candidness.

2. How would you compare / contrast the styles of Pres Hinckley vs Pres Monson?

President Hinckley was a straightforward speaker, no melodramatics involved or too many cute stories but straight to the point. President Monson favorite style of speech seems to be the three points with alliteration and touching stories as a child or as a young Bishop.

3. What, if anything, were the central themes of the Hinckley presidency? The Monson presidency?

Hinckley, all about temple building and Monson service to the poor and afflicted.

The difference bewteen any of the Prophets, is simple it's their personalities. All prophets are the mouth peace of God 4 their time, They talk about repentance, keep the commandments, endure, and to come back into the fold. Their mission is 2 preach the doctrines of salvation as they are revealed & recorded in scripture. Their work is to help in God's work to teach,love, build His kingdom. For behold this is my work and my glory to bring to pass the immortality and eternal life of man. (that's the goal)