Can the “Mormon Glow” attract the right type of people to your life?

MalcolmRavenclaw

It’s well documented that the “Mormon glow,” or the Light of Christ, shines in the eyes of members striving to live the gospel. We often talk about the Mormon glow in the context of missionary work. However, have you ever considered how the “Mormon glow” also helps us attract people who can add value to our lives?

D&C 88:40 says, “Light cleaveth unto light.” Through my personal experiences, I believe that radiating the Light of Christ can help us stand out to other single adults and help us someday attract a future spouse.

Have you had any personal experiences with the “Mormon glow” before? How do you recognize the Mormon glow in others and how have you developed the glow yourself?

I wrote an article on my blog about the Mormon glow and I’d love to get your feedback.

Kuuleis-picture-resized-for-Facebook-1200-X-630-1-of-1-624x482.jpg

(My sister, who graciously agreed to model for me and let me use her picture for my blog article!)

It's kinda over-possessive to call it the Mormon Glow. Lots of non-Mormons have that glow too.

But, as far as the "glow" attracting the "right kind of people". I'm not sure what that means (I haven't read the blog article). What's the "right kind of people". I posit that everybody is attracted to the Light of Christ that shines through a person. Bad or good. Because, regardless of how "bad" one person might be, the Light of Christ is like a magnet to the human spirit of hope. Yet they may not be ready nor willing to let that light shine within them.

Edited by anatess

Anatess is largely right. In evangelical circles we'll often say things like, "I knew you were a believer--you just had that look about you." Sometimes we'll say peace, presence, etc. If we're honest, sometimes we don't see it, and sometimes we think we see it, and the person is not a fellow believer. Discernment is mightily helpful. However, as the political types like to say, "Trust but verify."

A person focused on God often does attract like-minded people. Likewise, such people make the unregenerated folks uncomfortable.

In business, I'll never forget a hilarious speech given by Donald Trump. It was at a success seminar by one of those motivational gurus. He brought in a lot of big names, and I got tickets because my boss wanted to hear one of them. So The Don says, "Some people are losers. They can listen to all the success tapes they want. They will still be losers. Stay away from these people!"

I thought that was pretty cold. Nevertheless, have we not met people who constantly seem to be pulling us away from God, even as they proclaim that they really like us, and how wonderful our friendship is? The Don is right--stay away from these people!

As for using light or magnetism or presence or discernment to find a spouse--quit stressing. Seek the kingdom, and this too shall be added to your life.

Edited by prisonchaplain

It's kinda over-possessive to call it the Mormon Glow. Lots of non-Mormons have that glow too.

Agreed, there are a lot of non-members who shine with the Light of Christ. But since my target audience are members of the Church, I used a term they're more familiar with.

Edited by MalcolmRavenclaw

As for using light or magnetism or presence or discernment to find a spouse--quit stressing. Seek the kingdom, and this too shall be added to your life.

This was actually the point of my blog article. There are a lot of people who try to attract a spouse using worldly means, which is why I wanted to emphasize that through righteous living, we naturally attract like-minded people.

Agreed, there are a lot of non-members who shine with the Light of Christ. But since my target audience are members of the Church, I used a term they're more familiar with.

I didn't know Mormon Glow is a common term. It's the first time I've ever heard it called that.

I didn't know Mormon Glow is a common term. It's the first time I've ever heard it called that.

I found a lot of references to "Mormon Glow" when I did my research. Perhaps it's more commonly used in the Mormon belt. If you're interested in the topic, here are a few articles I found.

Psychology Today: That Mormon Glow - Meridian Magazine - LDS, Mormon and Latter-day Saint News and Views

Research suggests “Mormon” factor | Student Review

Edited by MalcolmRavenclaw

While on my mission in Germany, there were about 6 to 8 missionaries working the Street Board in a large city. (Street Board = A large sign that has information about the church, and missionaries stop and talk to people on the street). As I was standing there a lady came up and started talking to me, saying: "Why are you all so beautiful?" (I'm starting to feel flattered). And then she said, "I can pick you out of a crowd. Just today on the train I could tell there were Mormon missionaries seated there". Just then, two more Elders walked up to the Street Board. One of them was a tall red-headed elder, the other a shorter, stocky dark haired elder. I didn't think either of them were particular good looking. But, this lady said, "Look at them! They are beautiful!" I admit my ego was a little deflated. But, when I looked at those two elders, I saw what she saw. They were beautiful.

This experience has stuck with me even though it was more than 34 years ago. People can see that light. I've never heard it called Mormon Glow. I hope I still have that glow about me.

I think this sums up your blog post:

"Brigham Young once said:

“Mormonism” keeps men and women young and handsome; and when they are full of the Spirit of God, there are none of them but what will have a glow upon their countenances; and that is what makes you and me young; for the Spirit of God is with us and within us. (Journal of Discourses, Volume 5, Discourse 34.)"

The brightest countenances will be those who are living closer to the standards of God in thought, word, and deed. These will be those who keep their temple covenants, act in accordance to the laws of obedience and sacrifice, and magnify that which the Lord has instructed and called them to act in.

I've never heard the term "mormon glow" before. I'm going to go with my gut here, and just reject the phrase. I want nothing to do with it, and I refuse to be associated with it in any way. I know way too many mormons who shine with something, but it ain't the light of Christ.

have you ever considered how the “Mormon glow” also helps us attract people who can add value to our lives?
I know your blog is mainly about landing a spouse, so as I choose to view that statement in that context, yes. But in a wider context, I feel the need to speak for the sinners and heathen and ugly people out there. They get attracted to the spirit of Christ too. And given the tone of your article, they're a little anxious. It almost feels like you'd rather they not come up to you.

I'm sure it's not your intent. Your blog even mentions this as one way to radiate:

Seeing others the way the Savior does and treating them accordingly. The Savior made each person he ministered to feel loved and valued. If we strive to do the same, His image will shine in our countenance.

Just make sure that you figure out how to treat folks interested in your glow accordingly. Can you figure out how adulterous people, athiests, ugly folk, and drug dealers can add value to your life?

Edited by Loudmouth_Mormon

Are we confusing the light of Christ with the gift of the Holy Ghost? I agree with those that have said you can see the Light of Christ in anyone that is genuinely following the Savior.

Light of Christ

The phrase “light of Christ” does not appear in the Bible, although the principles that apply to it are frequently mentioned therein. The precise phrase is found in Alma 28:14, Moro. 7:18, and D&C 88:7. Biblical phrases that are sometimes synonymous to the term “light of Christ” are “spirit of the Lord” and “light of life” (see, for example, John 1:4; 8:12). The “spirit of the Lord,” however, sometimes is used with reference to the Holy Ghost and so must not be taken in every case as having reference to the light of Christ.

The light of Christ is just what the words imply: enlightenment, knowledge, and an uplifting, ennobling, persevering influence that comes upon mankind because of Jesus Christ. For instance, Christ is “the true light that lighteth every man that cometh into the world” (D&C 93:2; see John 1:9). The light of Christ fills the “immensity of space” and is the means by which Christ is able to be “in all things, and is through all things, and is round about all things.” It “giveth life to all things” and is “the law by which all things are governed.” It is also “the light that quickeneth” man’s understanding (see D&C 88:6–13, 41). In this manner, the light of Christ is related to man’s conscience and tells him right from wrong (Moro. 7:12–19).

The light of Christ should not be confused with the personage of the Holy Ghost, for the light of Christ is not a personage at all. Its influence is preliminary to and preparatory to one’s receiving the Holy Ghost. The light of Christ will lead the honest soul who “hearkeneth to the voice” to find the true gospel and the true Church and thereby receive the Holy Ghost (see D&C 84:46–48). Additional references are Alma 19:6; 26:3; D&C 20:27.

This sounds like the 'prosperity' movement out there (i.e. think rich and money will magnetically go to you). It is true that people like being around cheerful, happy people, and Mormons have a lot to be happy about, but a Glow has too many variables for it to be simply a Mormon thing.

LOL.

I got totally mistaken for LDS because of this!

Back when I wasn't.

Granted, I was in Utah, visiting LDS friends... So the assumption was pretty natural. But the arguments when my friend and I said I wasn't LDS were pretty hilarious.

"But you LOOK mormon/LDS" was always somewhere in them.

Scrubbed cheek, healthy, enthusiastic, friendly, talks to strangers, works hard, helps others, clean spoken, talks to God like you're talking to a friend translates into many faiths. Including no organized religion (which was where I was, completely unaffiliated and cheerfully determined to stay that way).

Mormons tend to do the glow thing

Catholics tend to be a bit gritty (determined, pugnacious)

Quakers reserved

Evangelists energetic

Baptists forward

Etc.

It's one of the things I really like about the "I'm a Mormon" campaign.

The church, I feel, does a really great job of showing that ALL kinds of people belong to the church.

Not just our stereotype of pink cheeked enthusiasm / extroverts.

We've also got gritty, reserved, energetic, forward, introverted, and every other kind of person in our meeting halls, ya know?

LOL... I always flash to "the news from lake woebegone" when our stereotypes come into play.

"Where the women are strong, the men are good looking, and all the children are above average."

Q

I'd forgotten that we pentecostals have a monopoly on this shiny business. After all, one of the major organizations is called AGLOW. Catch their vision statement:

Vision Statement

To carry the truth of the Kingdom that:

• Restores people to a radiant place of relationship with God and one another

Then there is the fellowship that goes on after really good services. We call them "after glows."

Of course, on the Day of Pentecost there were shiny tongues of fire on the people...nah...sorry...if you want to use the glow thing, you owe us royalties... :-)

Please note the tongue poking out my cheek prominently. :-)

Edited by prisonchaplain

I don't know if this was a, "Mormon Glow," but some years back while at a stake choir practice for conference, a sister I didn't know and had never seen before approached me in the choir loft excitedly saying, "I knew it! I just knew you were LDS!" She then proceeded to explain that some time before that she had seen me in town in some store while she was out shopping and said that when she saw me she was certain I had to be LDS.

I remember thinking, "Wow, even me? Even flawed, imperfect, struggling me radiates something of the Spirit and the things of the soul to others?" It was a very humbling experience and I was grateful to think if that was so, maybe I was of more value and influence to others around me in this world than I ever might have thought.

I also wonder about those who get pleasure out of corrupting innocence (or righteousness). Just because someone seems to be attracted to another's spirituality does not mean that their motives are pure, or that they are automatically open to the gospel.

You just summed up my marriage. I was responsible to be spiritual for the both of us, which is impossible, of course. While her intentions may not have been to corrupt me, they certainly were not to uplift me. I'd say it was definitely about her own desires.

I have known a lot of people who are not LDS but who have a definite glow about them, and I am attracted to women who have it. I can now usually tell the difference. Was too naive when I met my ex-wife.

Of course, on the Day of Pentecost there were shiny tongues of fire on the people...nah...sorry...if you want to use the glow thing, you owe us royalties... :-)

Please note the tongue poking out my cheek prominently. :-)

Wait. Mormons claim restoration of the original order of the church as it was on the Day of Penecost...so you owe US royalties!!

Uh...oh... The legal battle could get complicated here.....

;)