Family Curses?

EarlJibbs

Okay, so I wanted to start a light hearted thread about things that you swear only happen to you or your family constantly.

In my family, we always have to take most purchases back at least once. Not like food purchases, but any electronic, furniture….etc.

For example, my most recent items were taking furniture back to Ikea. We had some ornamental items for our mantel that the second they were removed from the packaging (an oversized clock) it fell apart. Just Saturday, I purchased a new TV from Best Buy and my remote wouldn’t work with the TV. Even at Best Buy they said they had never heard of a remote simply not working with the TV. We always talk about it at family gatherings. No I don’t think my family is really cursed, but we do find it odd and humorous. It makes for good family conversation, and somewhere to direct our anger when something is busted the second we get it..."It wasn't Ikeas fault, it was the curse" :)

So, what things happen in your families? Anyone else feel like they have the "return it once" curse.

That's annoying!

Well, I'm about to go get a bad tooth pulled, and my mother was nice enough to inform me that in our family, our teeth are "wrapped around our jawbones" and hard to get out. So that's comforting. I guess I'll report back later (if I can).

We've got the family curse of "you're just like your father".

We further perpetuate it when someone in the family says:

"I hope you have a child just like you!"

or

"He/she acts just like you - you got what you deserve!"

However, it's not 'Karma' because my grandmother's name was Karma, so we can't blame her.

That's annoying!

Well, I'm about to go get a bad tooth pulled, and my mother was nice enough to inform me that in our family, our teeth are "wrapped around our jawbones" and hard to get out. So that's comforting. I guess I'll report back later (if I can).

I remember when I got braces when I was a teenager. I had to get 4 teeth pulled due to over crowding, and on one they just couldn't get it to come out. I was already placed on laughing gas so I giggle at them having a rough time, but I also had a serious thought that my mouth was going to kill when everything wore off. Boy was I right.

Good luck, and sorry!

Yeah, that was not the most fun I've ever had. I half expected the dentist to put his knee in my chest for leverage at one point.

I'm on pain pills and hoping the next couple of days won't be too awful. The abscess was bad enough!

Apparently my great uncle was supposed to do something for another relative, and didn't. She put a hex on him that he would never have a working radio (I don't know why the radio, but maybe what he was supposed to do involved a radio). Anyway, none of the radios he had would ever work - including radios that worked in other parts of the house, but wouldn't work in his bedroom.

I'm very careful about the 'you're just like your father' stuff. If you only use it when the child has done something wrong, it can be very harmful - even if said 'child' is an adult. If I do use it, I frame it in terms of 'your father used to do X, and it caused problems because of Y. You might want to rethink your need to do X.' I'd much rather say that he reminds me of his father because of something positive or funny.

Apparently my great uncle was supposed to do something for another relative, and didn't. She put a hex on him that he would never have a working radio (I don't know why the radio, but maybe what he was supposed to do involved a radio). Anyway, none of the radios he had would ever work - including radios that worked in other parts of the house, but wouldn't work in his bedroom.

I'm very careful about the 'you're just like your father' stuff. If you only use it when the child has done something wrong, it can be very harmful - even if said 'child' is an adult. If I do use it, I frame it in terms of 'your father used to do X, and it caused problems because of Y. You might want to rethink your need to do X.' I'd much rather say that he reminds me of his father because of something positive or funny.

I laughed because of all the things, the radio? :huh:

My father would like to say that the family curse is "stubbornness." The funny thing about this is that it must be taught from generation to generation and is still passed down.

I was contacted by a family member, in England, who a few generations back we share the same great...great...(you get the picture) grandpa. When speaking with her of Facebook she said, "oh well, the family curse...stubborn...and I am very stubborn."

On my mission, I met a relative of mine through one of my Uncle's, down the line. When speaking with her on my mission, and the day I met her father, they would also, "Well you know our family...we are stubborn."

I have come to the conclusion, our family curse isn't that we are stubborn; we are opinionated and not easily convinced either way. :P

PS... The other family curse is "big ears" but fortunately my genetics didn't receive big ears, nor my offspring -- thank goodness!

Here is an exact quote from my son two nights ago:

"Are you kidding. Hannah got busted for shop lifting tonight. MOM, stop with the curse. I know how disappointed you were. I am so sorry."

Now the funny thing about this is... I have NEVER said those words to my son. I have no idea where he got the idea that I ever told him... "I hope when you have children, they do the same bad things you did". But, that's what he was meaning with his text to me.

My response to him was... "Awe son... Life is so full of learning experiences. Isn't it wonderful. LOL"

Kids! (He's 42 years old) haha

Now the curse in my family for the girls is... You look just like your mother. That was fine until one day I looked in the mirror and saw some sags and bags and what have you.... and I thought, "OH NOOOOOO, I look just like my mother!"

:eek:

Guest JustSara

With us, its rain and moving. My husband and I have moved 9 times in the course of our marriage and it has rained every single time. Without fail. This would be one thing if we lived somewhere rainy but we don't. We live in the hot part of northern California. We've moved 3 times in the heart of summer, July and August, and it rained. It normally doesn't do that here. Those were the only rainy days all summer.

We got the no-snow-for-you curse.

Year after year we go up north to experience snow since my youngest child turned 4. He's 10 now and still has not seen "real" snow. We don't count the snow-blower snow on the ski hill in North Carolina. We've been to Ohio, Illinois, New Jersey, New York as far north as the Niagara... every Christmas. No snow.

This past Christmas, it snowed in New Jersey non-stop for a week which got a thick layer of snow on the ground. We started driving from Florida, stopped by Philadelphia to go through the Liberty tour - no snow in Philly, arrived in New Jersey two days later and all the snow on the ground has melted. The weather stays in the mid-50's for the entire 10 days that we were there. We drove for home. And the day after we arrived in Florida, New Jersey experienced 13" snow storm!

The interesting thing is we were supposed to go to Ohio this past Christmas - it snowed like there's no tomorrow in Ohio all through Christmas - we decided to go to my cousins in New Jersey because my cousins in Ohio couldn't make it home!

We got the no-snow-for-you curse.

Year after year we go up north to experience snow since my youngest child turned 4. He's 10 now and still has not seen "real" snow. We don't count the snow-blower snow on the ski hill in North Carolina. We've been to Ohio, Illinois, New Jersey, New York as far north as the Niagara... every Christmas. No snow.

This past Christmas, it snowed in New Jersey non-stop for a week which got a thick layer of snow on the ground. We started driving from Florida, stopped by Philadelphia to go through the Liberty tour - no snow in Philly, arrived in New Jersey two days later and all the snow on the ground has melted. The weather stays in the mid-50's for the entire 10 days that we were there. We drove for home. And the day after we arrived in Florida, New Jersey experienced 13" snow storm!

The interesting thing is we were supposed to go to Ohio this past Christmas - it snowed like there's no tomorrow in Ohio all through Christmas - we decided to go to my cousins in New Jersey because my cousins in Ohio couldn't make it home!

It's been awful this year. Seriously...it just isn't stopping!! We're supposed to hit a "real feel" of almost -20 again tomorrow.

FYI, and as a matter of interest, here you go: These 20 US cities are allowed to complain about the cold

It's been awful this year. Seriously...it just isn't stopping!! We're supposed to hit a "real feel" of almost -20 again tomorrow.

FYI, and as a matter of interest, here you go: Bustle

It's even snowing in Houston! The city shut down a few days ago.

My kids asked if we could hop a plane and go north for the weekend... I'm afraid to spend all that money and it won't snow when we get there... because, that's just our luck!

It's even snowing in Houston! The city shut down a few days ago.

My kids asked if we could hop a plane and go north for the weekend... I'm afraid to spend all that money and it won't snow when we get there... because, that's just our luck!

To heck with Houston...I have friends that will be getting snow tomorrow in New Orleans!!

To heck with Houston...I have friends that will be getting snow tomorrow in New Orleans!!

I moved to Houston in September. The "snow" that we got was as north of Houston as you could go and it was about an inch. They did shut everything down though. Too many overpasses and high roadways froze and cars couldn't get up and over them. My work even shut down.

It's supposed to do the same today. Snow, freezing rain.... This is my kids 2nd snow day (if you can call it that) where mostly nothing will happen. They love it. :lol: