Hobbies

Palerider

• 2 years later...

Some of my hobbies are as follows:

1) Reading about alternative fuel, battery electric and fuel efficient automobile models

2) Firearm target shooting

3) Bicycling, weight training and cardiovascular exercise

4) D.O.T.A. 2 (Defense of the Ancient 2) video gaming

5) Occasionally editing Wikipedia articles.  (But most of my edits get rejected.)

My hobby of sewing just turned into an actual business of making rag quilts.  First 3 days I started I got 9 orders for quilts.  So if anyone needs to find me, you can find me in my sewing room sitting at one of my sewing machines. :)

1 hour ago, pam said:

one of my sewing machines

I was about to gape at this until I realized I actually have two (one modern one, used twice, I think; and one very ancient one that's been in the family for ages - on a table with an iron "pedal" thing you rock back and forth, etc. - I just like the look of it).

(This from a person who has 6 fountain pens and is having a hard time resisting buying more... :) )

1 minute ago, zil said:

I was about to gape at this until I realized I actually have two (one modern one, used twice, I think; and one very ancient one that's been in the family for ages - on a table with an iron "pedal" thing you rock back and forth, etc. - I just like the look of it).

(This from a person who has 6 fountain pens and is having a hard time resisting buying more... :) )

Yeah I wasn't counting the antique one that I have that belonged to my grandmother.  That one I don't use even though it still works.  It's just for display. :)

Interestingly, I just spent the week last week making 32 piano book bags.  My son's piano teacher was gonna buy piano book bags from the internet for 12.99 each and I said... That's thirteen bucks, whaaaaat?????  I can make that same bag for 3 bucks!  Of course I forgot to consider that I don't really like sewing although it does make me nostalgic for my summers spent with my seamstress grandmother doing all the "hand work" - hemming, embroidery, etc. etc. - while she pedals away on her no-electricity-involved sewing machine.  I would finish one bag and look at the tall pile of cut material waiting to be sewed into a bag and I'm like... ugh ugh ugh.

One thing I'm really happy about though is that my Singer Tiny Serger that I bought from Walmart at least 15 years ago for 50 bucks is still providing me with hours of excellent service.  My mom looked at that serger and said... "you're buying a TOY serger???".  Hah hah.

My hobby is watching my wife go by with her various hobbies.  Right now, it's 4H for the kids, which mean numerous flocks of chickens and turkeys.  Our kids win prizes at the county fair because of her.  Older kid can also give shots, do minor surgeries, and crop feed a sick duck because of her.

In the past, it's been knitting.  Not like "knitting" knitting, but like having two spinning wheels and a drum carder knitting.

Helping in the community.  Not like volunteering at soup kitchens, but like sponsoring kids lost in addiction after their parents are inches away from (or just past) disowning them.

Dog training.  Not like "I work at PetSmart" dog training, but like 'canine behaviorist' trainer who customizes lessons and training to each family, and specializes in hard-luck cases (like violent dogs one inch away from being put down, or traumatized little froo-froo dogs that pee when someone slams a door.) 

My hobbies currently are longboarding (skateboard), kitesurfing and boardgaming. I also play some online computer games like Elder Scrolls and League of Legends.

In the future I plan to do more surfing, learn to write (sci-fi fantasy) and would like to build and fly light sport aircraft. 

Edited by Windseeker

On May 9, 2016 at 8:45 AM, zil said:

I'm not much of a seamstress, but, I probably have four or five sewing machines. And, that doesn't count the two I gave to my daughter last year. I shop yard sales, and for some reason, if I see a sewing machine for sale, at a great price, I can't seem to help myself. I negotiate the price and have been able to get sewing machines for $10 to $20 dollars. Every one of them has worked great. I've been able to buy some brand new models and some older ones. Now, that the new season for yard sales is coming up, I'm hoping I can resist buying any more machines, but, I'm afraid if I see one I won't be able to help myself. lol.  

1 hour ago, classylady said:

I'm not much of a seamstress, but, I probably have four or five sewing machines. And, that doesn't count the two I gave to my daughter last year. I shop yard sales, and for some reason, if I see a sewing machine for sale, at a great price, I can't seem to help myself. I negotiate the price and have been able to get sewing machines for $10 to $20 dollars. Every one of them has worked great. I've been able to buy some brand new models and some older ones. Now, that the new season for yard sales is coming up, I'm hoping I can resist buying any more machines, but, I'm afraid if I see one I won't be able to help myself. lol.  

I should look into yard sales.  I'm getting so many orders for quilts right now...I'll probably need 1-2 more that I can keep set up.

I have a Singer that I bought from a girlfriend. I made some dress shirts for Ex. and modified muscle pants for myself, then Ex's niece came to visit with her two toddlers. The youngest (3) played with my machine. She took the needle out so he wouldn't hurt himself, thanks a lot, not! Any way he turned all the knobs every which way and I have never been able to get it back to what they should be. Their oldest did the same thing to our $3,000.00+ stereo/receiver/cassette player-recorder. It never worked again either.

I have hung on to this sewing machine for over 30 years. Taken it to three repair men and still it is non-functioning.

I want to have a working sewing machine- so I looked at Walmart at the new ones. I know Singer and Brother, but these other brands - Michley, Sunbeam, & Janome. I wish I had Mom's Singer Treadle in it's solid oak case.

Do I need one with the multitude of different stitches?

21 hours ago, Iggy said:

I have a Singer that I bought from a girlfriend. I made some dress shirts for Ex. and modified muscle pants for myself, then Ex's niece came to visit with her two toddlers. The youngest (3) played with my machine. She took the needle out so he wouldn't hurt himself, thanks a lot, not! Any way he turned all the knobs every which way and I have never been able to get it back to what they should be. Their oldest did the same thing to our $3,000.00+ stereo/receiver/cassette player-recorder. It never worked again either.

I have hung on to this sewing machine for over 30 years. Taken it to three repair men and still it is non-functioning.

I want to have a working sewing machine- so I looked at Walmart at the new ones. I know Singer and Brother, but these other brands - Michley, Sunbeam, & Janome. I wish I had Mom's Singer Treadle in it's solid oak case.

I wish Kenmore still sold sewing machines.  I've owned 2. Best sewing machines I have ever owned.  The main one I use now is a Kenmore and I've had it for probably 30 years and have had not one...let me repeat...not one problem with it.

I also have a Singer Simple.  Just a less expensive Singer.  I'd never purchase that model again.  I used it 2 times and now you can't load a bobbin on it.  But that's okay...I invested in a Sidewinder which makes things soooooo much easier.

I sew A LOT but I have no need for a sewing machine with a ton of stitches.   I just need a few basic stitches.

3 hours ago, pam said:

I wish Kenmore still sold sewing machines.  I've owned 2. Best sewing machines I have ever owned.  The main one I use now is a Kenmore and I've had it for probably 30 years and have had not one...let me repeat...not one problem with it.

I also have a Singer Simple.  Just a less expensive Singer.  I'd never purchase that model again.  I used it 2 times and now you can't load a bobbin on it.  But that's okay...I invested in a Sidewinder which makes things soooooo much easier.

I sew A LOT but I have no need for a sewing machine with a ton of stitches.   I just need a few basic stitches.

I have loved my Kenmore sewing machines too. Last year I was able to find a Kenmore machine at a yard sale- $20.  I'm not giving that one away. It stays with me, and yes, it works great.

For one semester I was a music major, and learned the basics of playing the piano.

Now that I am retired I have a self study program in learning the piano.  I have been amazed at the many resources for self-teaching and hope very soon to be able to play my first hymn.  I discovered there are several "flavors" of learning the piano -- there is, of course, the classics, but I find it interesting to learn how to play popular and jazz.

I found an electronic keyboard which has 88 keys, weighted keys, and the sound sampled from a grand piano.   The Yamaha P-115 was around $500.  Amazing!

It is portable so I will be able to take it to nursing homes to play in public ==>> low stress place to play, since they won't notice the mistakes.  Also on a family get- together.  Perhaps in time to be able to play at church in priesthood meetings.

I have been amazed at the resources available to those who are self-taught -- various tutorial, music courses (udemy.com), youtube.  You can even take lessons on skype.

Edited by cdowis

On 5/11/2016 at 9:47 PM, Iggy said:

I've use many of the stitches is my many stitches machine - these I use a lot:

1.)  The basic line, of course.

2.)  The side line.  I use this a lot when trying to stitch to the edge of a fabric and still be able to run the fabric under the presser foot easily.

3.)  Zigzag - I use this mostly to sew merit badges on the sash.

4.)  Hem stitch - hemming, of course.

5.)  button holes - this requires the use of 2 stitch settings on my machine, one on the left, one on the right.

6.)  triple line - used usually for armholes.

That's it.

On 5/14/2016 at 3:51 PM, cdowis said:

For one semester I was a music major, and learned the basics of playing the piano.

Now that I am retired I have a self study program in learning the piano.  I have been amazed at the many resources for self-teaching and hope very soon to be able to play my first hymn.  I discovered there are several "flavors" of learning the piano -- there is, of course, the classics, but I find it interesting to learn how to play popular and jazz.

Things I learned from my kid's classical training:

"You cannot learn to be Herbie Hancock by playing Bach, Czerny, etc, but Bach, Czerny, etc is an exceptionally comprehensively efficient means to lay the foundation so that the piano student can be empowered to be anything he wants later."  or "A curving tree can get better sunlight from one side but it is restricted instead of freed.  A solid straight tree may sound restrictive but it is the most free to extend branches in any direction to catch light from all sides."

And some more:

"There's only one way to start to learn the piano - learn the physicality of the music to the instrument.  This allows the student to master the instrument instead of the instrument mastering the student.  This physicality is learned through proper technique." and "It is fine and good for the music masters to claim that they never practiced scales or ran exercises, rather they practiced music - as they play with superhuman technique that is obviously not something people are born with.  They may not realize it but they have an instinctive conceptualization of music and physical unity such that everytime they play music they are practicing technique.  For those without that instinct, they get to practice their scales."

"Although there are many erudite musicians who can't read music, there has never been a musician to express that they are glad they never learned to read music."

I found that in popular music, you can learn to play with the melody, or do the accompaniment -- chords in both hands.  Right now, I working on the latter.  Your right and left hand play independent rhythms, so it makes it very interesting to play with the hands independently.  

2 hours ago, omegaseamaster75 said:

Well I break it up a little

I watch Golf on TV

I practice Golf

I play Golf

Do you read about Golf in magazines and books?  Talk about it at work.  Spend Sundays playing gold (after sacrament meeting, of course.  Your vacations are to golf  tournaments -- your favorite vacation spot is Augusta, GA.

Do you always capitalize the word Golf?

Edited by cdowis