food with medication during fast

drham3rd

Fasting is about Sacrifice. I struggled with fasting and my meds for long time. When I put the sacrifice and fasting concepts together I realized there are other sacrifices I can make that while not exactly fasting can bring the Spirit closer.

I don't know that I can say if I only eat one cracker with my meds I'm still fasting. Or I only drank enough water to swallow the pills so I'm still fasting. Fasting is refraining from all food and drink. My diliemna was that were my meds enough to say I wasn't fasting. Personally I think they were, but that's just my personal opinion for my circumstances.

So... I find other ways to sacrifice.

When you have 4 medications that say take with food, what is the least amount of food to use on fast Sunday?

Probably as much as you need to eat to take the medication, unless you decide you can go without the medication for a day. I tend to be pretty pragmatic about such issues.

However:

My opinion on fasting differs from others here. I think the act of fasting -- that is, of not eating or drinking anything for a day -- is itself intrinsically important and useful. People talk about having a "fast" from things other than food. To me, this sounds like having a "child" who isn't human. People call their pet or their car or their hobby their "baby", but we all know those things are not a child in any real sense, nor are they much like a real child. Similarly, there is no substitute for fasting. It's not merely a game to see if you can do without something.

If you can't fast, you can't fast. If you can only fast for sixteen hours, or twelve, or ten, then that's how it is. If you have a limit you can't go past, no use in beating yourself up over it. But at the same time, let's not pretend that abstaining from watching TV on Sunday (which is probably a good idea every Sunday, not just once a month) is in any way comparable to fasting. They are different things. The spiritual benefits deriving from a fast simply are not likely to come because you "give up something for Lent".

I take med's that need food. I can go without the med's but it makes me not the most pleasant person to be around from the withdrawl. I can take them without food in my system but it is hard on my system.

The Lord knows our intent, those who fast to simply be seen as being better Mormons then others gain nothing from the fast. Those who can not fast for legit reasons will still be blessed by the Lord for what ever they can do.

Don't worry about it too much, if you can do a full fast or a part fast that is great. But NEVER put your life in harms way to try. Health issues, pregnancy and other real issues are legit reasons not to fast.

The only one you have to worry about is the Lord, and he knows our intent and desire.

I'm with Vort on this. While I think making sacrifices on other things is very good, fasting is fasting is fasting with its own benefits (I even think of the opinion held by apparently quite a few in the medical community that occasional fasting is great for the physical body).

That being said, back to the OP. If you need food to take your medication, I doubt it will affect the spirituality of your fast too much.

Well, I have mixed views on fasting, I can't cuz I take really strong medication to control a personal medical problem... I've tried but I can't.

I understand that fast could be, as others have pointed out, restraing yourself for things you enjoy like t.v o secular music... but isn't this the purpose of EVERY SUNDAY?

I can't I just don't fast.

When you have 4 medications that say take with food, what is the least amount of food to use on fast Sunday?

I have one medication that I usually take in the morning that I need to take with food. Its one that I can postpone to the afternoon and I do, but I know there are others where you must maintain a strict time frame.

Some people can not fast, my wife is an insulin dependent diabetic and can not fast as it would throw off her entire insulin/blood sugar cycle. She still manages to maintain the Spirit of the Fast meaning to keep a reverent attitude.

Edited by mnn727

Probably as much as you need to eat to take the medication, unless you decide you can go without the medication for a day. I tend to be pretty pragmatic about such issues.

However:

My opinion on fasting differs from others here. I think the act of fasting -- that is, of not eating or drinking anything for a day -- is itself intrinsically important and useful. People talk about having a "fast" from things other than food. To me, this sounds like having a "child" who isn't human. People call their pet or their car or their hobby their "baby", but we all know those things are not a child in any real sense, nor are they much like a real child. Similarly, there is no substitute for fasting. It's not merely a game to see if you can do without something.

If you can't fast, you can't fast. If you can only fast for sixteen hours, or twelve, or ten, then that's how it is. If you have a limit you can't go past, no use in beating yourself up over it. But at the same time, let's not pretend that abstaining from watching TV on Sunday (which is probably a good idea every Sunday, not just once a month) is in any way comparable to fasting. They are different things. The spiritual benefits deriving from a fast simply are not likely to come because you "give up something for Lent".

I agree with you Vort. Fasting done properly is going without food or drink for two meals. There is nothing to replace it. When a serious issue needs a fast I fast by going without food, drink and meds . . . and then stay in bed.

Sacrificing in other ways is not like giving up something for Lent. Which is why I didn't suggest something like no TV or things that don't really have the same impact as a traditional fast. I didn't suggest any sacrifice. Its personal. When and what I might sacrifice is between my Heavenly Father and I which has made it sufficient (Confirmed through prayer and the results). What I sacrifice might not be a sacrifice for someone else or it might not be sufficient in God's eyes for someone else. Again, its personal and for Fast Sunday, it works.

Additionally: I struggled with fasting until I listened to Gene R. Cook's talk entitled "Receiving Answers to Prayer." I'm slow. It wasn't until the fourth time I listened that I heard what the spirit was trying to teach me.

Edited by applepansy

• 3 weeks later...