Sealing question.

georgia2

A question has arisen that I have never heard discussed.

Can a person who is 18 choose to be sealed to another family member other than their own parent? Raised by another family member and having no gentle feelings or probably no possibility to ever be sealed to either parent.

Thanks!

Someone will certainly correct me if I'm wrong but my understanding is that a child can only be sealed to parents who have been married to each other.

I think you're on safe ground, Pam. Sealing children to a single parent doesn't make any sense. It is meaningless; the child's sealing proceeds from the marital sealing and covenant. Remember the promise made to the sealed child: It is as if s/he had been born in the covenant of the parents. Not something a single parent can provide.

From the handbook:

"Living children who are born in the covenant or have been sealed to parents cannot be sealed to any other parents unless approval is given by the First Presidency.

Living children who are legally adopted and were neither born in the covenant nor sealed to former parents may be sealed to their adoptive parents after the adoption is final. A copy of the final adoption decree should be presented at the temple; a court decree granting legal custody is not sufficient clearance for a sealing. There is no obligation to identify the natural parents of these children.

First Presidency approval is necessary for a living member to be sealed to foster parents. This requirement applies even if the natural parents of the foster child are unknown and cannot be identified by reasonable effort. Such requests are made by the stake president."

also see: Children Who Are Not Born in the Covenant

Children who are not born in the covenant can become part of an eternal family by being sealed to their natural or adoptive parents. These children receive the same right to blessings as if they had been born in the covenant.

A child may be sealed only to two parents—a husband and wife—and not to one parent only.

Males ages 12 and older must hold the Aaronic Priesthood before they may be sealed to their parents. Members who are married or are 21 or older may not be sealed to their parents unless they are endowed.

I wonder how the Church would handle a person who, as an adult, was legally adopted by someone who had acted as a parent figure in childhood; and now wants to be sealed to that adoptive parent. Because it would seem that the plain text of the CHI limits the adoptive scenario to "children".

I wonder how the Church would handle a person who, as an adult, was legally adopted by someone who had acted as a parent figure in childhood; and now wants to be sealed to that adoptive parent. Because it would seem that the plain text of the CHI limits the adoptive scenario to "children".

The Church would likely handle this by having the bishop and stake president make an inquiry to the First Presidency. Either the First Presidency would make a decision, or refer the matter back to the local leaders with more guidance to be followed up with a recommendation to the First Presidency. If a recommendation is returned, the First Presidency would either ask more questions or make a decision. And the process would continue until a decisions was reached.

At least, by my understanding, that's how things are supposed to be handled when not clearly outlined in the handbooks.

I know that adult children who are endowed may choose to be sealed to one of their bio parents and the step parent. My daughter-in-law has been sealed to her bio mom and her step father. The sealing occurred after she was married to my son. Her bio parents were not previously sealed to each other, so she was not BIC.