What are some ways?

Savannah22

Savannah, perhaps this discussion might be a bit more productive if you explain how you define "included" and give some ideas on specifically why being "included" is important? (Are we "including" for "inclusion"'s sake, or do we think that "inclusion" would address some specific spiritual goals; and if the latter, what precisely are those goals?)

Women already have a "mother's lounge" and padded chairs in the Relief Society room.

When are the men getting a den? (And no, the Bishop's office doesn't count.)

Well that really makes women feel included. They get shuffled off into a room to take care of a child. :P

Women already have a "mother's lounge" and padded chairs in the Relief Society room.

When are the men getting a den? (And no, the Bishop's office doesn't count.)

When they get berated for feeding their children in public.

Edited by Wingnut

So if women do more service than they already are within the church then they can more included? :confused:

Anyone that wants to be more involved or included in the "Work of G-d" -- including his church - it is done by service. (See Mosiah 2:17)

Would you please explain to me why you feel a ":confused:" face in response to the divine call to service? Even in the kingdom of Heaven the greatest is the servant. I thought this to be doctrine 101.

The Traveler

Anyone that wants to be more involved or included in the "Work of G-d" -- including his church - it is done by service. (See Mosiah 2:17)

Would you please explain to me why you feel a ":confused:" face in response to the divine call to service? Even in the kingdom of Heaven the greatest is the servant. I thought this to be doctrine 101.

The Traveler

The last year or so, every time anyone brings up how women can be more included it has to do with thoughts that the church holds women as second rate members. I have no reason to think that even this thread is anything more than that as it hasn't been explained further.

So with that thought in mind, stating women should do more service when they already perform so much service within the church brings me to think :confused:

Let's change the OP to something like this:

In what ways do you feel excluded from Church?

Then maybe we can have a more fruitful discussion.

As it is, I don't feel the Church is lacking in women inclusion. If women does not feel included then the problem could very well be with the specific women and not all women in general... and it may have something with the way the Church is run at their ward/stake level. But unless we know what specific problems these are, we can't really answer the question of inclusion.

As a woman I must admit that I do not understand this whole give-women-the-priesthood-let-them-wear-pants-include-them-more-debate. I feel blessed that our heavenly father has so beautifully defined our gender roles for this life. This is the church of JESUS CHRIST who sits at the head and it is by His direction in ehich the church is run. Who am I to question the Lord or the Savior? This isn't descrimination, nor does it deny anyone of their liberty. It is true liberation to play out my gender role to fulfill the measure of my posterity. Some may not agree with this, but heavenly father makes no mistakes.

Hmmm... When the Melchizedek Priesthoom wakes the heck up, pulls their fair share and walks the path of Christ then women will be more equally included. Is that close? ;)

I think that's an overly harsh criticism. Men are a slight minority in the Church, and certainly a great many men do not shoulder the burden they should. (I'm thinking specifically of home teaching here, and my fingers point toward myself as much as toward others.) But I serve with many very dedicated men, who though imperfect are giving honest effort, often amounting to tens of hours a week, while working ten-hour days and spending weekends on campouts and such.

Our women indeed do marvelous work, and it's something of a miracle to behold. But I think our men are also worthy of praise, which frankly they seldom get.

That women can be more included in the church?

Hi Savannah22. Welcome to the forum.

I would highly recommend you read a book called Daughters in My Kingdom. You can find it at the LDS church's website here: Relief Society Lesson Manuals

What you learn in this book may surprise you. Once you've finished reading it, let me know what you think.

Peace be with you.

The last year or so, every time anyone brings up how women can be more included it has to do with thoughts that the church holds women as second rate members. I have no reason to think that even this thread is anything more than that as it hasn't been explained further.

So with that thought in mind, stating women should do more service when they already perform so much service within the church brings me to think :confused:

Thank you Pam. I agree with you. The doctrine of service is paramount to LDS doctrine and it is my personal belief that those that do not understand the importance of service do not understand how good service is - both to those that give and those that receive.

Also in LDS doctrine is the idea that the greatest work is in the home - that the home is the foundation of the church. There is no question in my mind that the greatest service done by humanity is service done in the home and the greatest service in the home is done by women.

Perhaps the focus should not be on the church - In fact LDS doctrine teaches that the church primary purpose is to assist and help protect the home (which BTW is imbedded in protecting marriage) - in LDS doctrine it is the family that is eternal and sealed for eternity - not any church group, society or organization - not the ward, stake or even general callings. The only eternal calling or organization is the family.

So the correct question should be how can women be included more in the family. And I agree so much with you Pam, anyone that ask that question is out of touch with reality. It is like asking how can we get G-d to love his children more????

The Traveler