[deleted]

helloimami

When I went wedding dress shopping, I did not wear my garments. I knew that whoever helped in the dressing room was going to be a non-member and my non-member best friend was there to help me choose the right dress.

Also, I knew that the places I was shopping would not have garment appropriate dresses and that any dress I bought was going to have to be altered for my garments. I knew the requirements for the temple (wedding dress must be up to the neck, down to the ground, and sleeves to the wrist--just like temple dresses), so I used a critical eye to judge how much alterations would be needed for each dress.

I just felt more comfortable not wearing my garments and not having to go through explanations about them.

I don't think there is a right or wrong answer. If you feel comfortable wearing your garments while dress shopping, then do so. If not, then don't.

Also, I suggest you either wear your garments or just your underwear when dress shopping. Wedding dresses run smaller in size (at least in my experience) and you want the dress to fit right. Wearing a shirt and leggings may not allow the dress to fit you correctly.

Keep in mind. You'll be shopping in Utah. Most of those assisting with the fitting will be familiar with garments. Especially if you go to David's Bridal.

But like Beefche said. Do what you feel most comfortable with.

I was not endowed at the time of my wedding dress shopping, but I do/did live in Utah and the proprietress flat-out asked me if it were to be a temple wedding (which then narrowed the selection to garment-appropriate dresses--she was LDS and after several chats quite possibly a distant cousin). The shop and experience was so great I recommended it to an endowed friend. Subsequent conversations... she felt comfortable going in her garments and a white tee.

Alas, that particular shop is closed when she decided to retire.

However, if I didn't expect those helping me to be understanding or comfortable with garments, I would go without or cover up.

When I was wedding dress shopping with my daughter every one who helped was endowed and understood. The smaller boutiques usually have the best deals. I was not impressed with David's Bridal.

Many Utah bride's buy a cap or short sleeve wedding dress and then make or buy a bolero or jacket/sweater to wear in the temple. The following pic is similar to what I usually see at LDS weddings. All that is needed is a white sweater or a long sleeve bolero.

07014-lds-2.jpg

edit: I've seen some really gorgeous crocheted sweaters/jackets that compliment the dress nicely.

Edited by applepansy

When I was wedding dress shopping with my daughter every one who helped was endowed and understood. The smaller boutiques usually have the best deals. I was not impressed with David's Bridal.

Many Utah bride's buy a cap or short sleeve wedding dress and then make or buy a bolero or jacket/sweater to wear in the temple. The following pic is similar to what I usually see at LDS weddings. All that is needed is a white sweater or a long sleeve bolero.

07014-lds-2.jpg

edit: I've seen some really gorgeous crocheted sweaters/jackets that compliment the dress nicely.

Some Temples will even provide a t-shirt to wear under your dress. If you know where you'll likely be Sealed you could call ahead to find out. I was Sealed at the Oakland Temple and they had a really pretty, long-sleeved, high-knecked tshirt I could wear under my dress for the Sealing (and it was a really pretty, lacy one that I wish I could have kept! :lol: ), and then take it off before I went outside for pictures. :)

It's been about 10 years, but when my DIL went into "David's Bridal" here in SLC, there were no dresses that had sleeves. There are enough non-lds here in the Salt Lake area, that you could possibly go into a shop that has very few dresses with sleeves.

It is frequently easier to have a dress made for you by a local seamstress. That way it can be altered in many ways for modesty, fit and just to reflect your personality. It is not as expensive as you might think. It's usually less expensive than buying a dress from a shop, with the added bonus of having a one-of-kind dress made just for you.

It is frequently easier to have a dress made for you by a local seamstress. That way it can be altered in many ways for modesty, fit and just to reflect your personality. It is not as expensive as you might think. It's usually less expensive than buying a dress from a shop, with the added bonus of having a one-of-kind dress made just for you.

I would add to this to make sure it's a GOOD seamstress, not just someone who's "good at sewing". Wedding dresses are no easy thing to make, and if you want anything remotely fancy, you will need an excellent seamstress, preferably one who can show you a portfolio of other wedding dresses she's made.

And be absolutely clear about your modesty standards. My brother's first wife had her wedding dress made by a local seamstress, and when she got the final dress the neckline was *still* too low to cover the top hem of her garments, but she didn't realize it until the night before the wedding when she had finally received her own Endowments and was trying on the dress one more time to make sure it would be modest enough. Thankfully my BIL, who was raised by a steamstress and had been taught a bit by her, was able to sew on a 2" wide ribbon trim to the collar *the night before the wedding*. Thank about pre-wedding jitters! :P

I know a girl who found this stunning prom dress. She's the type to buy prom dresses and then sell them, but she kept this one to show to the original dressmaker to have it remade in white for a wedding dress. Beautiful dress. Hope she goes through with the plan whenever she gets married.