Do Suicides (always) end up in hell ?

KountC

I've been watching a lot of suicide videos on you tube, and I'm curious what people think

if that most people who commit suicide end up in hell. What is the LDS teaching on this doctrine. I know the Catholic church teaches it is one of the worst, mortal sins you can commit.

I think some of these people are very inspirational.

Guest LiterateParakeet

No!

No I don't think suicides end up in hell. There are so many different factors that can come into play, that we really can't judge, or assume that the consequences will be the same for everyone. For example, when mental illness is involved, is that person really capable of decision making in the same way that someone who is not is? And what about emotional pain? I was suicidal once, and looking back, I can see that I was clearly not in my right mind at the time. You might say I was "crazed with pain". That is the best way I can describe it. And what about situations, like the one portrayed in the movie Masada? A whole group of Jewish people committed suicide rather than be taken prisoner by the Romans and "allowing" their women to be raped, and those who were not killed to be sold in to slavery. Under the circumstances, I think they made the best, most honorable choice.

Also, I notice that you are Catholic. I don't know what Catholic's believe about hell but I suspect that our definitions and expectations may differ, and so that will change the answer to your question also.

Suicide videos on youtube? What?

Yes, there are quite a few.

The famous Budd Dwyer suicide for one.

There is also the clip of the man, who was filmed in Fox News, shooting himself as he was running on foot. There are some videos of people jumping form buildings to their death as well.

There is also a very good HBO documentary on you tube, though I do not know the name. . I think some of these people are heroes, its like they where telling society you can't have me, since God abandon me.

No!

No I don't think suicides end up in hell. There are so many different factors that can come into play, that we really can't judge, or assume that the consequences will be the same for everyone. For example, when mental illness is involved, is that person really capable of decision making in the same way that someone who is not is? And what about emotional pain? I was suicidal once, and looking back, I can see that I was clearly not in my right mind at the time. You might say I was "crazed with pain". That is the best way I can describe it. And what about situations, like the one portrayed in the movie Masada? A whole group of Jewish people committed suicide rather than be taken prisoner by the Romans and "allowing" their women to be raped, and those who were not killed to be sold in to slavery. Under the circumstances, I think they made the best, most honorable choice.

Also, I notice that you are Catholic. I don't know what Catholic's believe about hell but I suspect that our definitions and expectations may differ, and so that will change the answer to your question also.

yes, I want to say the definition of Hell in the Catholic church is of fire and brim stone.

The Catholic Church used to say suicides go straight to hell, however, as we cam to know more and more about mental health, the RCC (Roman Catholic Church) realized that many of these people aren't in the right state of mind and cannot be held accountable for a mortal sin. The position of the RCC is that it is up to God to decide and we can't know for sure.

I cannot imagine things are so cut and dry.

Children take their own lives.

Soldiers give their lives in exchange for others (the classic jumping on a grenade, or more modern, standing on the mine until everyone else is out of range).

People choose one death from another (think of the people who jumped from the twin towers rather than burn to death).

People take their own lives, having been raised that it is the honorable thing to do to prevent disgrace from attaching to their family.

And so, so, so many other examples.

Maybe Our Heavenly Father is cold and didactic. Having chosen to die, he turns his back on those spirits for all eternity...

Sending all spirits both brave and broken to outer darkness.

But I cannot imagine him to be.

Q

I've been watching a lot of suicide videos on you tube, and I'm curious what people think

if that most people who commit suicide end up in hell. What is the LDS teaching on this doctrine. I know the Catholic church teaches it is one of the worst, mortal sins you can commit.

We have no idea. In the end its God that's going to be the judge.

However we do know that it is harder to change yourself in the next life and so by cutting short this life an individual that has cut themselves off from many opportunities to grow, change, repent, and/or to prove themselves.

We also know as lds we have a little more information in regards to what happens after this life than what is generally know. We know that there's more than just Pass/fail heaven or hell.

Now, with what I know, and in my opinion;

Going by justice alone, such an individual cannot recieve the same rewards as one who has endured to the end trying to do their best whereas the person who commited suicide has made the decision of themselves to throw away the rest of their mortal life. And that we have been commanded to live and obey, also with the "thou shalt not commit murder" (even if against yourself) being fairly high on the 10 commandments list puts suicide in a pretty bad light ( and i believe each suicide is in some measure a victory of the devil overcoming an individual)

I also think that this will be a very important area for Christ's salvation to come into play. But ultimately we don't know all the factors surrounding a person's suicide, i'm sure if God can find any leeway with which to allow such an individual any chance at the best heaven that they can attain, he will do so. Again how much he can grant unto that person is going to be very dependant what that person knew, what they felt, and why he or she chose to suicide, and how repentant they are.

I think you should stop watching suicide videos.