Being Single And Wondering When Will My Life Begin

MalcolmRavenclaw

PunzelJpeg-624x492.jpg

In the Disney movie Tangled, Rapunzel sings about being isolated in her tower and wondering when she’ll be able to truly start living her life. Rapunzel fits the profile of a faithful Mormon single adult: She’s a hard worker, she’s morally pure, and she displays a zest for life that is absolutely contagious. In her opening musical number, she sings:

I’ll reread the books

If I have time to spare

I’ll paint the walls some more,

I’m sure there’s room somewhere.

And then I’ll brush and brush,

and brush and brush my hair

Stuck in the same place I’ve always been.

And I’ll keep wonderin’ and wonderin’

And wonderin’ and wonderin’

When will my life begin?

There are many Mormon single adults who can empathize with Rapunzel’s situation. One of my friends once told me that he feels life doesn’t truly begin until you’re married. Given the strong emphasis on marriage and family in the Mormon Church, I wasn’t surprised he felt this way. There are many single adults that long for marriage, feel “stuck in the same place I’ve always been,” and wonder, just like Rapunzel, “When will my life begin?” However, the attitude that life doesn’t really start until you’re married isn’t just wrong – it’s harmful to your personal growth and search for an eternal companion.

Read More

One of my friends once told me that he feels life doesn’t truly begin until you’re married.

If that were my friend, I would have said "Horse hockey!" Life begins now. Being married isn't some kind of cure all. It's just another stage of life.

Yes, the Lord wants us married and in a family unit. But each person's life and journey is unique. More than wanting us to marry, I think the Lord wants us to seek Him and serve Him--and you don't need a marriage license to do that.

If that were my friend, I would have said "Horse hockey!" Life begins now. Being married isn't some kind of cure all. It's just another stage of life.

Yes, the Lord wants us married and in a family unit. But each person's life and journey is unique. More than wanting us to marry, I think the Lord wants us to seek Him and serve Him--and you don't need a marriage license to do that.

That's about the gest of what I told op in their blog.:)