What to talk to the Bishop about?

Rice

Some background - I am new to the church and am due to be baptised very soon.

I heard last week that there are some sins that you are required to confess to the ward Bishop.

What type of sins would these be?

Also, I'm finding it difficult to fully give myself due to feeling guilty about my past when I wasn't a Christian (and some of when I was.) It was suggested that this would be something to talk to the Bishop about?

This is new to me - sorry if it is a simple question.

HI Rice,

Don't be sorry for your question....all ?s are good. You are not accountable for things you've done in the past if you didn't know it was wrong. It is good to go speak with your Bishop, he is there to help you. It will be great to have you become a member of the church.

I think sitting down with a bishop and just asking his advice, is generally a good thing (just bear in mind that he's a volunteer with his own job and family and a hundred other ward members to look after, so try not to monopolize his time!). Discussing some of the things that have happened in your past may help him to counsel you more effectively in the present.

That said: As a convert, I don't believe you'd be under any expectation of confessing past sins to the bishop--you will be asked some specific questions in your (private) baptismal interview, which is done by a missionary--not the bishop. So long as you're candid with that missionary your repentance will be deemed complete upon your baptism and confirmation.

Going forward: The best rule I've heard is "if you think maybe you should go talk to the bishop about it--go talk to the bishop about it!"

HI Rice,

Don't be sorry for your question....all ?s are good. You are not accountable for things you've done in the past if you didn't know it was wrong. It is good to go speak with your Bishop, he is there to help you. It will be great to have you become a member of the church.

And what if I knew somethings were wrong?

I think sitting down with a bishop and just asking his advice, is generally a good thing (just bear in mind that he's a volunteer with his own job and family and a hundred other ward members to look after, so try not to monopolize his time!). Discussing some of the things that have happened in your past may help him to counsel you more effectively in the present.

That said: As a convert, I don't believe you'd be under any expectation of confessing past sins to the bishop--you will be asked some specific questions in your (private) baptismal interview, which is done by a missionary--not the bishop. So long as you're candid with that missionary your repentance will be deemed complete upon your baptism and confirmation.

Going forward: The best rule I've heard is "if you think maybe you should go talk to the bishop about it--go talk to the bishop about it!"

It's pretty scary to ask him! He's lovely, but I have only met him briefly about three times, so want to bother him or make him think I have "lots of issues."

What type of questions do the missionaries ask in the baptismal interview? We've not talked about that yet.

One of the many perks of baptism and repentance. Again, not required to disclose them after the baptism, but if it makes you feel better and move forward, yeah, I think talking to a bishop about them would be smart.

Generally, sexual sins, word of wisdom problems, etc. are what you would talk to a bishop about.

What type of questions do the missionaries ask in the baptismal interview? We've not talked about that yet.

Preach My Gospel: A Guide to Missionary Service 12: How Do I Prepare People for Baptism and Confirmation?

If you scroll down to "How to Conduct the Interview" you'll see how the interview is conducted and the baptismal interview questions.

There are different levels of approval needed.

- Most people go through their baptismal interview with the missionaries.

(First the look-see with your missionaries, and then another conducts the formal,interview)

- Some get it kicked up to the Mission Pres.

- A few (typically former gang members, and the kind) get kicked up at far as Salt Lake leadership.

Don't lie.

Part of the baptism/clean slate precept is based off of honesty.

You can't repent for something you won't admit.

I've led a pretty wild life.

And by wild, I mean it got kicked up a level or so, as most of the "bad juju" boxes got ticked.

It probably helped that most of my hard living was done and over with 15 years before I converted... But I'd still done those things, and lived that life. It was MY life. Then. Living differently doesn't erase my past. It changes my present and my future.

If I'd lied about my life, then I wouldn't actually be living differently.

And I wouldn't be repenting it.

I don't go around advertising everything all the time.

That would be insane.

But I also don't try to hide it.

Pretty useless trying to hide things from God, and pretty self defeating trying to hide things from priests.

Q

ETA... Just glanced over at the link, which didn't give the list we went over. What I mean by bad juju boxes are things like "Have you ever killed anyone?"

Edited by Quin
EDited to Add

Even those things you knew were wrong can be washed away with baptism. It will be like being reborn. All fresh and clean. It doesn't matter if you knew they were wrong or not.

Would anything stop me being baptised? I'm now worried that if I do talk about somethings, that they would decide I shouldn't be baptised?

Prior to baptism there really is no need to have a sin confession talk with the Bishop, after baptism the Bishop is the person to talk. You should definitely met him and chat with him, but until you are baptized the individual(s) who you should talk to regarding any past sins would be the missionary interviewing you and if need be the mission president.

Here are the interview questions:

"Do you believe that God is our Eternal Father? Do you believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, the Savior and Redeemer of the world?

2. Do you believe the Church and gospel of Jesus Christ have been restored through the Prophet Joseph Smith? Do you believe that [current Church President] is a prophet of God? What does this mean to you?

3. What does it mean to you to repent? Do you feel that you have repented of your past transgressions?

4. Have you ever committed a serious crime? If so, are you now on probation or parole? Have you ever participated in an abortion? a homosexual relationship?

5. You have been taught that membership in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints includes living gospel standards. What do you understand of the following standards? Are you willing to obey them?

a. The law of chastity, which prohibits any sexual relationship outside the bonds of a legal marriage between a man and a woman.

b. The law of tithing.

c. The Word of Wisdom.

d. The Sabbath day, including partaking of the sacrament weekly and rendering service to fellow members.

6. When you are baptized, you covenant with God that you are willing to take upon yourself the name of Christ and keep His commandments throughout your life. Are you ready to make this covenant and strive to be faithful to it?"

Answering yes to #4 will require an additional interview with the Mission President. Other than that you should be good. Even if you are required to talk to the mission president you should be good.

As far as sins go, #3 is the most important. If you have concerns about whether you've repented of past sins or not then I would suggest talking to the missionaries. I will say the Atonement is a beautiful thing, the most precious gift God could give to His Children and the most precious gift our Elder Brother voluntarily gave to help us. Through the Atonement you will feel the peace and assurance of wiping away past sins and being clean.

Guest LiterateParakeet
Would anything stop me being baptised? I'm now worried that if I do talk about somethings, that they would decide I shouldn't be baptised?

I understand your concern, but I don't think that will be an issue. When I was a missionary, we taught someone who had to be interviewed by the Mission President...I believe she had had abortions (more than one), and she had two children with a third on the way when I knew her. She was not then, nor had she ever been married.

She was baptized.

I hope that helps put your mind and heart more at ease. :)

Hi there, I recently went through the conversion process. I'll be happy to share and be very frank with you to try and help ease your mind a little.

I didn't have to speak to my bishop, but the missionary did have to call the mission president for me to speak with to get approval to move forward at that time.

Just be honest. I was really embarrassed answering yes or no to the questions the missionary asked me (some young guy I did not know asking me about very personal things!). But it was a simple yes or no and once I said yes, he told me he had to call the mission president to get approval to move forward.

Mine was for homosexual relationships. The MP and I discussed this; why it was wrong, that I had repented and that I had no intentions to do it again. He told me he felt confident I had truly repented of these things and could move forward in my interview. That was it.

I know it feels scary and overwhelming. But I promise, Heavenly Father will forgive you of all sins, even the ones you knew were wrong and still did. The process is set up this way so that you will not fail. The goal is to strengthen you and to set you up to succeed after your baptism.

Edited by Normandy