I know God exist, but I do not believe in him.

KountC

Its a personal problem of mine. I guess I'd say that I know God exist. But I do not believe in him.

With that being said, I noticed that nearly all churches use a star athlete in one form or the other, to try to recruit new members. I think listening to them talk makes me more of an agnostic then a Christian. I have a hard time swallowing anything about life, someone like Tim Tebow would have to tell me. or, many of the big time Catholic football athletes that are often interviewed on Catholic radio.

I'm just throwing that out here, I know God exists, but I think that all prayer is just babbling nonsense into the air for the most part. Because prayer has never worked for me.

Edited by pam
exists instead of exit

I have my own ideas about God and religion.

To me I feel they all have something to teach me. I still read the Book of Mormon, even though I am not a Mormon or believe like others do, I still feel it has things to share to me.

Some people like seeing those sorts of folk on the tv and radio, some it doesn't, faith-I think- is individualistic, like people.

I'm just throwing that out here, I know God exists, but I think that all prayer is just babbling nonsense into the air for the most part. Because prayer has never worked for me.

This.

A common Catholic lament.

It took me a while to learn that Prayer is not all about asking God for something. Prayer, in its simplest, is merely seeking to adjust your will to that of God's. If your prayer got answered, it means your will and God's will are aligned. If your prayer is not answered, it means your will and God's will are not aligned. Of course, God does not change for you. So, you get to change for Him...

But, if your faith is not such that you can let go of your will to seek a different path, then, nothing will happen. And so, God will never be there for you to believe.

It takes great courage and humility to do God's will. But, it doesn't ever happen that you can gain that without first having faith in Him.

This.

A common Catholic lament.

It took me a while to learn that Prayer is not all about asking God for something. Prayer, in its simplest, is merely seeking to adjust your will to that of God's. If your prayer got answered, it means your will and God's will are aligned. If your prayer is not answered, it means your will and God's will are not aligned. Of course, God does not change for you. So, you get to change for Him...

But, if your faith is not such that you can let go of your will to seek a different path, then, nothing will happen. And so, God will never be there for you to believe.

It takes great courage and humility to do God's will. But, it doesn't ever happen that you can gain that without first having faith in Him.

Hi Anatess,

I'm so glad that you have replied. This is where I find the contradiction. I understand exactly what your saying, I do not believe in the slot machine conception. But I think that is worth mentioning there is the dilemma I do not personally believe in a will to will alignment. I think if that was true, we would not see super high atheist achievers in life for say.

Consider Jesse Ventura, Ex, navy SEAL and Ex, grass roots Governor. Who has been quoted to say that, " Christianity is for the weak who need strength in numbers" Do you believe that his quality of life, has any direction connection with him personally trying to seek a will to will relationship. That is the contradiction that I find, in that philosophy and therefore, that is a big reason, why I have the feelings i do.

Chime in friend. ...

Its a personal problem of mine. I guess I'd say that I know God exist. But I do not believe in him.

With that being said, I noticed that nearly all churches use a star athlete in one form or the other, to try to recruit new members. I think listening to them talk makes me more of an agnostic then a Christian. I have a hard time swallowing anything about life, someone like Tim Tebow would have to tell me. or, many of the big time Catholic football athletes that are often interviewed on Catholic radio.

I am somewhat amazed at the lack of thinking many apply in coming up with what they believe G-d is. As an engineer and scientist I understand well why many of my fellow scientists are atheists. Several years ago I was involved in a public debate with the head of the Utah atheist’s society on the existence of G-d. The debate took place during our lunch break at work and lasted several weeks. To be honest I was having difficulty with the whole debate because my atheists friend did not seem to respond to my most important points. Finely I asked my friend to define what he thought was the definition of a G-d that we were debating about. This ended up to be quite difficult for him but when he finally defined G-d I conceded the debate because I did not believe any such G-d could exist anymore than he did.

I find that most Christian religions define G-d so counter to obviously observable things in our universe that if such a G-d was the option I had – I would not believe in G-d. The LDS concept of G-d is the only rhetorically sound and empirically viable G-d I have encountered.

The Traveler

I am somewhat amazed at the lack of thinking many apply in coming up with what they believe G-d is. As an engineer and scientist I understand well why many of my fellow scientists are atheists. Several years ago I was involved in a public debate with the head of the Utah atheist’s society on the existence of G-d. The debate took place during our lunch break at work and lasted several weeks. To be honest I was having difficulty with the whole debate because my atheists friend did not seem to respond to my most important points. Finely I asked my friend to define what he thought was the definition of a G-d that we were debating about. This ended up to be quite difficult for him but when he finally defined G-d I conceded the debate because I did not believe any such G-d could exist anymore than he did.

I find that most Christian religions define G-d so counter to obviously observable things in our universe that if such a G-d was the option I had – I would not believe in G-d. The LDS concept of G-d is the only rhetorically sound and empirically viable G-d I have encountered.

The Traveler

I think I'm speaking more of the personal relationship that is emphasized in the gospel of Jesus Christ. Or the personal God, that is the non Agnostic, non Atheist view that Christianity holds.

I am impressed by your mention of debating the Atheist in Utah. Sooner or later, I want to work up the ambition before I finish my degree to have an out of the blue anti-sola scriptural debate with the evangelicals that bounce around school handing out

Jack Chick Tracts to every person they come in contact with.

I think I'm speaking more of the personal relationship that is emphasized in the gospel of Jesus Christ. Or the personal God, that is the non Agnostic, non Atheist view that Christianity holds.

I am impressed by your mention of debating the Atheist in Utah. Sooner or later, I want to work up the ambition before I finish my degree to have an out of the blue anti-sola scriptural debate with the evangelicals that bounce around school handing out

Some of my responces with those guys on the streets have been hilarious and sometimes informative. Many are rather amazed I know so much about their religion, despite never having gone to one of their churches services :lol:

I think its all about how they approach me, sometimes its harsh, in that case I respond with nonsense (claiming to be a Konite, or Jedi or some such madness) others, like with LDS Missionaries, I am much more kind and obviously open to discussion since they tend to be friendly lol

I'm confused.

Isn't knowing something exists, believing in it?

Or do you mean you believe, but do not worship/practice? Or do not understand? Or do not agree? Or....?

I mean, I know a lot of things exist that I don't participate in.

Cannibalism, for example.

I also know a lot of things exist, that I would participate in, if things were run differently.

Like I'm not British.

British people exist, I'd happily take on dual citizenship, but that's not available to me.

There's quite simply a lot of things out there that exist, that I have nothing to do with (by either accident, or choice). I believe in these things. Whether or not I agree wih them.

Q

I never thought prayer was any good. Since looking into this church, my view has changed.

I don't think I prayed right, or had the right intention - because I chose churches that didn't really fit. I had an idea of God, that just wasn't true.

It took me some time to really get this all.

Anatess has got it right. When you believe in him enough to seek his will then your prayers will be answered. You see, I do not want to go my own way. I want to do what he wants me to do. I have tried to do it on my own and it only brings disappointment and misery. This does not make me weak. Quite the opposite. It makes me strong and free. You see it's not easy to truly follow Christ. He will whisper things you should do and you need to act on what he tells you. These things are sometimes not easy. Moreover the adversary pushes you to do the opposite. The weak ones are those who have given into the worlds ways. They think they are strong when they are truly weak. They think they are independent when they are actually trapped. Giving into sexual desires, chemical highs, and self gratification in any situation makes no one free.

Also, the Lord does not typically answer prayers by changing circumstances. He changes hearts. He works from the inside out. So be cautious about expecting him to change your circumstances, you cannot grow if you ask him to remove all your trials (or someone elses). Instead ask him to strengthen you that you can overcome the challenge in front of you. Then watch how your day improves. Watch how your heart is lightened and you are able to do more. Watch how people who you are praying for begin to feel differently. Maybe their heart is softened, maybe they are more happy. He will and does answer. I have seen it over and over again.

I'll pray for you on this very subject. If you are sincere about wanting to see the Lord's hand in your life then focus on your heart. I think you might gain understanding and start to feel differently. Then you will know he has answered me and you.

Edited by james12

Hi Anatess,

I'm so glad that you have replied. This is where I find the contradiction. I understand exactly what your saying, I do not believe in the slot machine conception. But I think that is worth mentioning there is the dilemma I do not personally believe in a will to will alignment. I think if that was true, we would not see super high atheist achievers in life for say.

Consider Jesse Ventura, Ex, navy SEAL and Ex, grass roots Governor. Who has been quoted to say that, " Christianity is for the weak who need strength in numbers" Do you believe that his quality of life, has any direction connection with him personally trying to seek a will to will relationship. That is the contradiction that I find, in that philosophy and therefore, that is a big reason, why I have the feelings i do.

Chime in friend. ...

If your religion says "You can Only Be in God's Good Graces If You're Catholic" then you're in the wrong religion. Luckily, the Catholic Church doesn't abide by that mantra.

But, what the Catholic Church is missing is the teaching on Pre-mortal Life - more specifically, the Light of Christ. Every person born on this planet - including Hitler and the Unabomber - have chosen to follow Christ in their pre-mortal existence. Every person, therefore, have the Light of Christ within them. This is the light that gives your individual spirit the instinct to recognize right from wrong. You don't need Pope Francis or President Monson to know the will of God. Following the light of Christ which is the will of God, whether you know who Christ is or not, is inherent in every human being.

Sometimes I have difficulty with the "personal relationship" belief in G-d. Because it is too nebulous and undefined - sometimes even an excuse for what seems to be to be palpably silly and contradictory beliefs of G-d. I do believe G-d loves each of us as his children and as such I do not believe G-d intends to deceive us. I do not believe he tells us one thing of him in scripture then does things differently or fools us by keeping bits and pieces of truth hidden from us of what he is really doing or has done. Rather I believe that all his works are open to all and that he does not deceive us in his methods of creation by such methods of deliberately making things look to be much older as some test to see if we will believe what he tells us when empirical evidence from him demonstrates otherwise. I believe he wants very much for us to learn of him and his great acts of service in creation and giving us liberty (even the power of liberty over sin) to be even like him - even just like him.

The Traveler

Sounds like to me your doubting god answers prayers more than doubting god himself. I have a young daughter who has a special relationship with God. Every time she prays god seems to answer here prays. So much so that now if we loose something, or need help or what ever I will ask her to pray. She has no great formula, no academic approach, no fancy words, no you must pray this particular way. She just seems sincere and for some reason god delights in answering her prayers. It strengthens me to see this in action.