Church to build 32-story apartment building in Philadelphia?

NeuroTypical

When I was there it was playing in one of the courtyard areas. The song was over before I'd moved through much of the mall, so I can't say for sure if it was playing throughout the mall, but I can say for sure it wasn't coming from any one particular store.

And as far as giving money to the poor not lifting them up: one of the basics I've learned about helping those in need is that their basic needs (food, clothing, shelter) have to be met FIRST, before anything else is of much use. The jobs that the construction might bring are going to require people who apply to provide an address, perhaps come to an interview in interview-appropriate clothing, etc. And certainly they wouldn't do very well in an interview if they haven't eaten in a while.

ETA: And I'm not saying let's start handing out checks to every poor person we see, but I'm having trouble seeing how those at the very "bottom of the barrel" of poverty will be helped much by a multi-million dollar building venture.

Edited by Jenamarie

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And as far as giving money to the poor not lifting them up: one of the basics I've learned about helping those in need is that their basic needs (food, clothing, shelter) have to be met FIRST, before anything else is of much use. The jobs that the construction might bring are going to require people who apply to provide an address, perhaps come to an interview in interview-appropriate clothing, etc. And certainly they wouldn't do very well in an interview if they haven't eaten in a while.

But those construction workers and building managers and janitors, etc have to eat, so they buy food locally at grocery stores or restaurants which employ people, and they have to have clothes which they also have to buy once again employing people, cars to drive, places to live, money flowing out from this project, one former President called it 'Trickle Down Economics'

ETA: And I'm not saying let's start handing out checks to every poor person we see, but I'm having trouble seeing how those at the very "bottom of the barrel" of poverty will be helped much by a multi-million dollar building venture.
And this multi-million dollar project is not stopping any of the millions and millions we give away every year to: disaster victims, food kitchens, poor and needy, projects all over the world, and that doesn't even mention the millions (perhaps billions?) of man hours donated every year to many worthy causes.

Do you know we call doctors and dentists, nurses and teachers, engineers and farmers on missions too? Not to Proselyting missions, but missions where they use their skills to help and to build and to teach others.

Have you heard of the Perpetual Education fund, educating the poor to help them get good jobs to raise them out of poverty?

I just don't understand how anyone could possibly complain about the Church creating jobs.

I agree with your point to some extent (though my understanding is that it's a lot less complicated to get work as a day laborer on a typical construction job).

Incidentally--I did ask once, during a visit to Temple Square, whether there were any programs in place for the numerous homeless/panhandlers surrounding the location; and was told that anyone who asks is given free transport over to Welfare Square for further assistance.