Adam or Abel the Father of the First Dispensation?

abchristensen

Hi! I have in my notes from a BYU Religion class years over a dozen years ago, that the Prophets of the Dispensations are as follows:

Adam- The father of all dispensations

Abel - The prophet of the first dispensation

Enoch - 2nd

Noah - 3rd

Abraham - 4th

Moses - 5th

Christ - 6th

J.S. - 7th

Other than this one note from my class I can't seem to find any sources. I'm wondering if this is correct and where I might find a source.

I can understand a priesthood line of authority but even there both Abel and Seth are mentioned. We learn from modern revelation that Moses was ordained to the high priesthood by his father-in-law, Jethro the Midianite. That priesthood line then traces back from Jethro through such unknown ancient legal administrators as Caleb, Elihu, Jeremy, Gad, and Esaias. The revelation then speaks of the divine authority coming through Abraham, Melchizedek, Noah, Enoch, Abel, and Adam (D&C 84:6-16). That the priesthood had been given to Jethro through Midian implies, as was the case with the priesthood descending through Abel, in addition to Seth (D&C 84:6-16; 107:40)—that there was more than one line of authority. It may be that the priesthood was transmitted through several lines but that the keys or right of presidency remained with and were passed on by the ordained patriarchs, in this case Adam.

Jerry

• 4 years later...

Joseph Smith (1805-44):
 We read in Genesis 4:4, that Abel brought the firstlings of the flock and the fat thereof, and the Lord had respect to Abel and to his offering. And, again, "By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts; and by it he being dead, yet speaketh." (Hebrews 11:4.) How doth he yet speak? Why he magnified the Priesthood which was conferred upon him, and died a righteous man, and therefore has become an angel of God by receiving his body from the dead, holding still the keys of his dispensation; and was sent down from heaven unto Paul to minister consoling words, and to commit unto him a knowledge of the mysteries of godliness.  (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, sel. Joseph Fielding Smith [1976], p.169; emphasis added)

Bruce R. McConkie (1915-1985) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles wrote:    
It appears that Abel, acting under the direction of his father Adam, held the keys of the first dispensation.  (Mormon Doctrine [1966 2nd Ed], p. 201). 

Orson F. Whitney (1855-1931) of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles: 
In this connection we are told that Adam's son Abel holds ‘the keys of his dispensation;’ that is to say, of the First Dispensation, the one in which Abel figured (D. and C. 84:16). And yet it is called the Adamic Dispensation, for Adam also figured therein. (Saturday Night Thoughts [1921], p. 105, note a). 

It appears Abel held the keys of the first gospel dispensation.

Edited by GPFriendly