How to approach parents? Church?

walkingwithgrace

Hello! I am just learning about mormonism and have been reading the Book of Mormon and doing research on the LDS website and mormon.org. Based on what I have learned I really feel like this is the church for me. I feel like I have finally found what I have been looking for and that Heavenly Father has guided me to the faith. I found an LDS church in my town that I want to go to. The problem is that due to medical problems I am unable to drive. I have epilepsy and I don't get my license back until I have been seizure free for 6 months which is in July. How do I approach my parents about driving me to the church service? How do I talk to them about this? I have been on what I would call a spiritual journey for the past 2 years and have been to more churches with various faiths more times that I can count. None of them had what I was looking for. None of them felt right -- that is until I found Mormonism. I know I have a lot to learn but I have the undescribable pull and attraction towards Mormonism. Just based on what I have read so far in the Book of Mormon and learned of the websites I know in my heart that Mormonism is the religion for me. I spoke with some missionaries on the LDS website who were extremely helpful. I live with my parents (both to help my mom with her post-surgery care and because of current financial issues) and I don't think they would like missionaries coming over. I really want to attend the LDS church services to learn more and make friends but i'm not sure how to tell my parents. Does anyone have any advice they can give me?

I am a big fan of honesty...

Tell them what you just posted here... (That post is gold)

Or if you can't quite get up to talking to them yet... Put it in a letter and give it to them and ask them to read it.

We can't give you any promises on how they will react... But do remember that your parents will take your actions as a big sign on if this is a positive or a negative influence on you. So stand as if you were already a Mormon and they were judging the whole church based on you. Do the right thing, be positive and respectful in all your dealings.

What he said.

Also, why do you anticipate your parents not wanting to do this? If you had more specific fears, we might better address those.

But yes, yours is a golden post.

Honestly i'm not sure. My mom is pretty open minded so I don't think she would have a problem. I've just been to so many churches that i'm worried they might think this is a phase or that i'm not serious about it. Should I just tell them "I'm interested in learning more about mormonism. I've found a church here. Can you drive me up there?" or something along those lines?

Honestly i'm not sure. My mom is pretty open minded so I don't think she would have a problem. I've just been to so many churches that i'm worried they might think this is a phase or that i'm not serious about it. Should I just tell them "I'm interested in learning more about mormonism. I've found a church here. Can you drive me up there?" or something along those lines?

I like that approach. It's simple, it's to the point.

Since you're 27 & not 17... I'll share this bit:

I didn't tell my parents as it was absolutely none of sir business.

My religious choices are (and were) not up for debate, nor did I care to seek their counsel in this matter.

I did tell them, afterwards.

After I was sure, and baptized, and attending.

But it wasn't a big thing.

I think it was a brunch invitation I asked if we might do Saturday as I had church on Sunday, or some such.

Brief conversation ensued.

If you were a child, I would say that you would absolutely need to tell your parents.

As you are not, I say that the choice is entirely yours as to whether you do, or not.

Q