Sleep Paralysis.

vinny15

Let me give a litle background. At the end of last year I stopped a few bad habits that had to do with chastity.( the minor addictive stuff) I didnt fully stop until the begining of this year. I am doing everything that God would have me do now.

Lately though ( about 4 months) Ive been having something called sleep paralysis take over. I will wake up from sometimes great dreams or sometimes nothing, butt I am fully awake and sometimes I can talk and even see, but I cannot move. I relate this to the bible and the book of mormon when people have awoken from not being able to move at all. I kinda think that satan wants me back or something.

What do you guys think. I dont mean to bring anything dark over hear. Its usually not to frightening. At first it was butt now its funny. Last night I had wonderful dreams about doing what is right but I awoke numerous times in sleep paralysis.

Any takers or someone who has a similar problem. Ive done a little reseach myself, but could use more help.

I have studied a few medical issues that deal with sleeping problems. I might suggest that you go to your Bishop (or someone else who has insight into your challenges) and asking for a blessing. However, I would highly recommend that you also see a physician. There might be some nerve issues going on that you are not aware of. Have him/ her do a check of your myalination. Or a reflex test. There needs to be some follow up with a professional. Good luck!

It happens to a lot of people. Sometimes they feel they are being held down. Some even hear or feel evil influences around them. Get a blessing as suggested and know that eventually it will stop. Used to happen to me when I was reactivating in Church.

Vinny,

I had that condition a few times in my life. The doctors say it peaks at age 17 or so and then drops off dramatically. It is normal. When you enter REM, your brain basically detaches from your nervous system so that you can engage the physical manuevers of your dream without physically thrashing around. Sometimes a person can come out of REM into full consciousness before the connection is regained. When this occurs, a frightening 'paralysis' occurs.

I once had a black spirit lean over me and say: 'Mormon lied' or something like that about Mormon. I prayed to regain strength and instantly was able to rise and the spirit fled. Still, I commanded that he not return in the name of Christ. Looking back on that now, I think it was only a dream and there was no being over me.

Over the centuries all sorts of funny traditions have centered on this phenomenon. Russians believed it was a visit from domovoi, some sort of punisher. In German it is called a Hexendrücken which is a 'witchpressing'.

Just enjoy it.

-a-train

There are probably other more technical terms for it, but this actually sounds alot like Night Terrors. Basically it's when the brain is still going, but the body is still waking up. You can hear, maybe cry out, see etc; but you can't move. Sometimes you feel like something scary or ominous is in the room with you, because your brain is still sorting through / processing everything it is hearing and has been hearing. Even things you were dreaming. Often it happens when you're exhausted, or under alot of stress etc.

Ask for a blessing. See your doctor about it. It's nothing life threatening most likely, so don't panic. But do ask for a blessing.

Hope this helps

Wow it seems like alot of people have had it when they start getting very faithful. I.E. Joseph Smith. and all of you that have explained it. Its odd. I prayed for it not to happen and the last two nights it hasnt happened once. I know it was something evil, but good thing God is allot stronger.

P.S. I will ask for a blessing thanks.

I used to have something like this happen to me when I was a teenager. I would wake up. I couldn't move and I would have this terrible feeling of evil around me. I would try and call out for my parents but couldn't speak. This went on for months and months. I finally had my Bishop give me a blessing and it never happened again.

• 2 weeks later...

Any takers or someone who has a similar problem. Ive done a little reseach myself, but could use more help.

Hey Vinny15. I have experienced sleep paralysis many times. My sister also began experiencing it sometime in her lates 30s or 40s and was diagnosed with a sleep disorder called Narcolepsy. Most people are familiar with the narcoleptic symptom of sudddenly falling fast asleep in response to some strong emotion. Not all naraleptics do that though -- that never happened to my sister. There's a full range of symptoms -- sleep paralysis being one of them. HOWEVER, sleep paralysis also happens to people who are not narcoleptic.

I experienced sleep paralysis frequently from about age 19 through 22 then not so frequently through my twenties. It's now been many years since I have had an episode.

For me -- I would wake up but be unable to move. Sometimes my eyes would be open and I would impose dreams visually onto the real things around me -- like seeing a giant spider on the ceiling or a dancing baby on one of the dining room chairs. Sometime I would imagine an evil presence or feel as though someone were pinning me down by the wrists or by placing their weight on top of my body. All just part of the dream anyone might naturally invent when faced with such a strange and unpleasant experience.

I would try to yell, tell someone to shake me, but without affect.

In any case, I would definitely not jump to some spiritual conclusion. I would treat this as a medical question. Your doctor will probably suggest a session of sleep analysis, to see what's happening in your head as you fall asleep and pass through the various stages of sleep.

<div class='quotemain'>

Hey Vinny15. I have experienced sleep paralysis many times. My sister also began experiencing it sometime in her lates 30s or 40s and was diagnosed with a sleep disorder called Narcolepsy. Most people are familiar with the narcoleptic symptom of sudddenly falling fast asleep in response to some strong emotion. Not all naraleptics do that though -- that never happened to my sister. There's a full range of symptoms -- sleep paralysis being one of them. HOWEVER, sleep paralysis also happens to people who are not narcoleptic.

I experienced sleep paralysis frequently from about age 19 through 22 then not so frequently through my twenties. It's now been many years since I have had an episode.

For me -- I would wake up but be unable to move. Sometimes my eyes would be open and I would impose dreams visually onto the real things around me -- like seeing a giant spider on the ceiling or a dancing baby on one of the dining room chairs. Sometime I would imagine an evil presence or feel as though someone were pinning me down by the wrists or by placing their weight on top of my body. All just part of the dream anyone might naturally invent when faced with such a strange and unpleasant experience.

I would try to yell, tell someone to shake me, but without affect.

In any case, I would definitely not jump to some spiritual conclusion. I would treat this as a medical question. Your doctor will probably suggest a session of sleep analysis, to see what's happening in your head as you fall asleep and pass through the various stages of sleep.

Its completely stopped now. I talked to my bishop about it. I cant explain everything, but I know it had somethign to do with satan and im a very logical person. I love science. So naturally I jumped to the disease conclusion, but remembered pat events.

There is little reseach done on the subject so Im not gonna go to a doctor, but thankyou.

Its completely stopped now. I talked to my bishop about it. I cant explain everything, but I know it had somethign to do with satan and im a very logical person. I love science. So naturally I jumped to the disease conclusion, but remembered pat events.

There is little reseach done on the subject so Im not gonna go to a doctor, but thankyou.

Just one last thought. You mentioned that "little research" had been done on this topic. Nevertheless, any neurologist could tell you a lot about sleep paralysis. And there are probably some who specialize in sleep disorders. It's not rare and has multiple causes, and sometimes, it just happens -- like a temporary phase as someone's brain experiences some undefined change that affects the normal sleep patterns.

Fact is, WE ALL experience it every night during REM sleep (while we dream). It's God's built in defense to keep us from hurting ourselves while we are dreaming. It would be abnormal not to experience it in this way.

However, when a person experiences what you described, it's because they awaken to some level of consciousness but the normal mechanism that restores the voluntary control of your muscles has not kicked in. Thus, you feel awake and are aware to some degree but you can't move.

That fact that this is happening as you go into or come out of sleep suggest very strongly on that you are experiencing "normal" sleep paralysis -- not demonic possession. Otherwise, your evil spirit would be bothering you while you're awake. It's only logical. :)

You experience sleep paralysis numerous times every night while you sleep. Why jump to some other cause when in fact your body has been doing it as a natural event over and over again, every night, and depending on how long you were asleep, probably multiple times already during the nights when you experience the awakening paralysis.

That said, I know that spiritual beings also can influence our bodies. I have had such experiences, once quite profoundly while wide awake -- and driving my car of all places. That was a bit un-nerving but it taught me something about the dark side.

So, do what you know is correct. But if it continues to happen, I would definitely consider seeing a neurologist. It doesn't mean you have a disease, but it could suggest a sleep disorder.

<div class='quotemain'>

Just one last thought. You mentioned that "little research" had been done on this topic. Nevertheless, any neurologist could tell you a lot about sleep paralysis. And there are probably some who specialize in sleep disorders. It's not rare and has multiple causes, and sometimes, it just happens -- like a temporary phase as someone's brain experiences some undefined change that affects the normal sleep patterns.

Fact is, WE ALL experience it every night during REM sleep (while we dream). It's God's built in defense to keep us from hurting ourselves while we are dreaming. It would be abnormal not to experience it in this way.

However, when a person experiences what you described, it's because they awaken to some level of consciousness but the normal mechanism that restores the voluntary control of your muscles has not kicked in. Thus, you feel awake and are aware to some degree but you can't move.

That fact that this is happening as you go into or come out of sleep suggest very strongly on that you are experiencing "normal" sleep paralysis -- not demonic possession. Otherwise, your evil spirit would be bothering you while you're awake. It's only logical. :)

You experience sleep paralysis numerous times every night while you sleep. Why jump to some other cause when in fact your body has been doing it as a natural event over and over again, every night, and depending on how long you were asleep, probably multiple times already during the nights when you experience the awakening paralysis.

That said, I know that spiritual beings also can influence our bodies. I have had such experiences, once quite profoundly while wide awake -- and driving my car of all places. That was a bit un-nerving but it taught me something about the dark side.

So, do what you know is correct. But if it continues to happen, I would definitely consider seeing a neurologist. It doesn't mean you have a disease, but it could suggest a sleep disorder.

Lol who said it was demonic pessesion and who said I wasnt bothered while Im awake. I know its a medical condition and Ive seen a doctor about it. I also didnt get any more info that I already know. Like I said I jumped to the disease conclusion, but the facts go together. I got more active in the church. he nights that It happened to its worse was th night I had a great spiritual experience.

Anyways. It doesnt matter. thanks though.

Yeah that would be sleep paralysis. I did an assignment on it in college. The theme was skepticism about aliens and alien abductions though. Many people that claimed to have been abducted by aliens said that they had awoken in the middle of the night and seen lights and such and that some force pinned them down to their bed and they were not able to move their bodies.

I believe I still have the power point presentation of the assignment which is really interesting if anyone would like to have a look.

But it's not the devil man don't worry. It happens to people that are not investigating or getting reactivated into the mormon church too. Satan is way more subtle you know, he makes you think he's not there until he's GOT YA! Anyway sounds like you're ok now. Definitely if it happens again just get a priesthood blessing because they heal everything. If for some reason that doesn't work...Can't think of why. But if it doesn't just remember.

A. Not enough faith: By you or possibly by the one who gives you the blessing.

B. It's not God's will. (Strength through trials.)

Yeah that would be sleep paralysis. I did an assignment on it in college. The theme was skepticism about aliens and alien abductions though. Many people that claimed to have been abducted by aliens said that they had awoken in the middle of the night and seen lights and such and that some force pinned them down to their bed and they were not able to move their bodies.

I believe I still have the power point presentation of the assignment which is really interesting if anyone would like to have a look.

But it's not the devil man don't worry. It happens to people that are not investigating or getting reactivated into the mormon church too. Satan is way more subtle you know, he makes you think he's not there until he's GOT YA! Anyway sounds like you're ok now. Definitely if it happens again just get a priesthood blessing because they heal everything. If for some reason that doesn't work...Can't think of why. But if it doesn't just remember.

A. Not enough faith: By you or possibly by the one who gives you the blessing.

B. It's not God's will. (Strength through trials.)

I know that its a type of mediacl problem, but if you remember in the bible many illnesses were attributed to demons. I.E. Jesus cast out the devil. Then ofcoarse we have the man born blind and the disciples asked who sinned this man or his parents. Christ answered niether this man nor his parents sinned.

So there are illnesses given t people to humble them or test them. I never said it was a demon I was implying it was a test I guess. Though its odd the timing it came about.

Vinny -- it's good to hear that the issues have subsided. I dont know if my insights will make any sense or help elucidate the situation any further, but here's some things to consider from my own experiences and pondering over related things I've encounterd with dreams and the larger reality they point to beyond the dreams themselves.

Many have characterized these types of events as strictly biological/neurological in nature and solely centered in the brain as it impacts the central nervous system during stages/events within sleep. While this explanation makes alot of sense within the materialist view that most modern, western science adheres to, we should keep in mind that the soul/spirit (the passenger) operates through the body (the vehicle) and that during sleep, the soul is less bound within it. This is the foundational explanation as to why the body shuts down during sleep -- with the material explanations of what the body does during sleep following. Medical science, as it is presently understood and practiced, is unable to go beyond explanations that do not center and arise within the body itself. This is a fundamental limitation that can't be ignored when trying to understand what dreams are, what happens during them, and what happens with the body during and after dreaming.

Dreams are not simply memory patterns happening within the brain itself. 'Memories' are the actual living of events that the soul experiences as 'now events'. The brain, because of the limited, terrestrial nature of the body, interprets the soul's activities and experiences as a 'memory'. It does this not because the event didn't just happen -- but because the terrestrial, human body, as it is currently constituted, is unable to accomodate the full 'spirit/soul body' that is 'you'. You can test the validity of this reality out by thinking of, say, something you did yesterday and then 're-live' it within your mind. You might start out perceiving this as something that happened yesterday and that you are not doing it again. However, as you are 're-living' it, you will notice new things surrounding the past event that you weren't aware of at the 'time' you did them. In fact, you will see entirely new things happening to you that you were not aware of 'then'. Going further, you may even see your own actions completely differently than you 'thought' you did when you set out to 're-live' the experience. Consequently, and not without some outer-originating resistance due to the 'consensus reality' that is known as the 'terrestrial, linear world' that we are living through and are making our current lives within, you will interpret the entire sequence differently - again, as if it just happened with all the attendent 'changes' apparent. Your behavior also changes in relation to the new awareness you have gained about something you did in the 'past'. So which sequence is true? Which one 'actually' happened? The one you set out to 're-live' originally -- or the one you now see with the new 'angles' of awareness you just saw the event from? And most importantly, was it the brain that did the 're-living'? This, I think, raises many questions as to how we actually learn, what growth really is, and how one moves into the celestial realms of existence. At any rate, how does this relate to dreams?

This type of non-linear existence directly relates to how we look at dreams, what happens during them, and what we experience when we begin to 'wake up in the body' once again. Anyone who has ever begun to wake up but initially sees things from a perspective that they are outside the sleeping body -- looking around the bedroom, for instance, or looking down at your sleeping body; this is coming from a vantage point of your 'Self' that is ouside of the brain - -outside of the body itself. What we encounter -- and who -- often can result in the type of paralysis some experience due to a lacking of lucidity (prayerful awareness) of the soul and how it relates to the terrestrial body. This paralysis might be explained because dreams are, primarily, events taking place outside of the body; which the brain/body processes when the soul/spirit more fully 'reattaches' itself to the body and terrestrial consciousness of being 'in the body' resumes. If we've encountered negative influences, this can be quite a shock in the 'awakening' process, especially if we've been battling them in some fashion.

The key to remaining centered through dreams is to pray, meditate, and strengthen the soul to meet these challenges to our Being in (and out of!) this terrestrial form we are currently travelling through. :)

Vinny -- it's good to hear that the issues have subsided. I dont know if my insights will make any sense or help elucidate the situation any further, but here's some things to consider from my own experiences and pondering over related things I've encounterd with dreams and the larger reality they point to beyond the dreams themselves.

Many have characterized these types of events as strictly biological/neurological in nature and solely centered in the brain as it impacts the central nervous system during stages/events within sleep. While this explanation makes alot of sense within the materialist view that most modern, western science adheres to, we should keep in mind that the soul/spirit (the passenger) operates through the body (the vehicle) and that during sleep, the soul is less bound within it. This is the foundational explanation as to why the body shuts down during sleep -- with the material explanations of what the body does during sleep following. Medical science, as it is presently understood and practiced, is unable to go beyond explanations that do not center and arise within the body itself. This is a fundamental limitation that can't be ignored when trying to understand what dreams are, what happens during them, and what happens with the body during and after dreaming.

Dreams are not simply memory patterns happening within the brain itself. 'Memories' are the actual living of events that the soul experiences as 'now events'. The brain, because of the limited, terrestrial nature of the body, interprets the soul's activities and experiences as a 'memory'. It does this not because the event didn't just happen -- but because the terrestrial, human body, as it is currently constituted, is unable to accomodate the full 'spirit/soul body' that is 'you'. You can test the validity of this reality out by thinking of, say, something you did yesterday and then 're-live' it within your mind. You might start out perceiving this as something that happened yesterday and that you are not doing it again. However, as you are 're-living' it, you will notice new things surrounding the past event that you weren't aware of at the 'time' you did them. In fact, you will see entirely new things happening to you that you were not aware of 'then'. Going further, you may even see your own actions completely differently than you 'thought' you did when you set out to 're-live' the experience. Consequently, and not without some outer-originating resistance due to the 'consensus reality' that is known as the 'terrestrial, linear world' that we are living through and are making our current lives within, you will interpret the entire sequence differently - again, as if it just happened with all the attendent 'changes' apparent. Your behavior also changes in relation to the new awareness you have gained about something you did in the 'past'. So which sequence is true? Which one 'actually' happened? The one you set out to 're-live' originally -- or the one you now see with the new 'angles' of awareness you just saw the event from? And most importantly, was it the brain that did the 're-living'? This, I think, raises many questions as to how we actually learn, what growth really is, and how one moves into the celestial realms of existence. At any rate, how does this relate to dreams?

This type of non-linear existence directly relates to how we look at dreams, what happens during them, and what we experience when we begin to 'wake up in the body' once again. Anyone who has ever begun to wake up but initially sees things from a perspective that they are outside the sleeping body -- looking around the bedroom, for instance, or looking down at your sleeping body; this is coming from a vantage point of your 'Self' that is ouside of the brain - -outside of the body itself. What we encounter -- and who -- often can result in the type of paralysis some experience due to a lacking of lucidity (prayerful awareness) of the soul and how it relates to the terrestrial body. This paralysis might be explained because dreams are, primarily, events taking place outside of the body; which the brain/body processes when the soul/spirit more fully 'reattaches' itself to the body and terrestrial consciousness of being 'in the body' resumes. If we've encountered negative influences, this can be quite a shock in the 'awakening' process, especially if we've been battling them in some fashion.

The key to remaining centered through dreams is to pray, meditate, and strengthen the soul to meet these challenges to our Being in (and out of!) this terrestrial form we are currently travelling through. :)

Wow that was interesting. I kinda think the same way sometimes. As the sleep paralysis was going on it didnt cross my mind much to pray. When I finally did it stopped.

SO you are right. Thanks a lot. That makes perfect sense.