News release from First Presidency.

Janadele

Mormon Leaders Encourage Participation in Political Process

SALT LAKE CITY —

"The First Presidency of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons) has issued a letter to be read in all Utah congregations, encouraging Latter-day Saints to attend local precinct caucus meetings. A similar letter was sent out in 2012, which resulted in a significant increase in caucus participation.

Caucus meetings will be held this year in preparation for primary and general elections in Utah. These precinct caucus meetings are a grassroots level of political involvement in Utah and are best served by a broad representation of Utah citizens. Those who attend play a critical role in selecting candidates for public office.

The 2014 caucus meetings will be held on Tuesday, March 18 and Thursday, March 20, and we encourage our members to participate as an exercise of their civic responsibility and privileges.

We ask that local leaders not schedule meetings on these Tuesday and Thursday evenings so that members may attend a caucus meeting of their choice. The location of these meetings can be found on the websites of the respective political parties.

The Church once again affirms its political neutrality. Platforms and philosophies consistent with gospel principles may be found in most political parties. We remind leaders and members that Church facilities and meetings are not to be used for political purposes or discussions."

Sorry...I just skimmed this the first time. Since it was specific to Utah, I was thinking this was specifically about the current same-sex marriage issues going on. I realize now (with a slower reading) that it's just very generic. I apologize for my previous cynicism.

I do, however, think it's dumb to cancel church activities in favor of political ones, but that's just me.

Sorry...I just skimmed this the first time. Since it was specific to Utah, I was thinking this was specifically about the current same-sex marriage issues going on. I realize now (with a slower reading) that it's just very generic. I apologize for my previous cynicism.

I do, however, think it's dumb to cancel church activities in favor of political ones, but that's just me.

You can always reschedule a Church activity. You can't as easily reschedule a caucus meeting. So, what's dumb is encouraging people to participate in the political process and then put a barrier on the rare days that there's an important political activity that requires one's attendance.

I can see it now. If they had not made the statement to not hold meetings on those nights, people would have been saying, "They want us to attend these meetings but they wants us to have our regular meetings too...how can I do both?"

No matter which way they do it, someone complains. :)

You can always reschedule a Church activity. You can't as easily reschedule a caucus meeting. So, what's dumb is encouraging people to participate in the political process and then put a barrier on the rare days that there's an important political activity that requires one's attendance.

Particularly when a fair amount of members see attendance at these meetings as a religious duty as either part of their calling or as part of sustaining those in charge of the meeting.

Is this just for the state of Utah?? Or did I miss-read ?

It looks like the letter is specifically directed to Utahn units. Personally, if I was in charge of scheduling meetings I'd look at it as having a principle behind it that can be applied outside of Utah.

Edited by Dravin

Political neutrality, but let's cancel our mid-week activities so we can all go to political events instead.

In my state, only 1 political party caucuses & you have to be registered with that party to participate ... so cancelling mid-week activities could possibly be (& has been) construed as supporting one particular political party.

Needless to say, the local stakes now make a big effort to ensure that wards do not cancel church activities during caucus week.

In my state, only 1 political party caucuses & you have to be registered with that party to participate ... so cancelling mid-week activities could possibly be (& has been) construed as supporting one particular political party.

Needless to say, the local stakes now make a big effort to ensure that wards do not cancel church activities during caucus week.

But wouldn't that then be construed as opposing one particular political party?

Here in Missouri we don't have a caucuse. We have Primary Elections and we are always encouraged then to get out and vote.

In my state the Republican caucus & only registered republicans can participate ... I'm not sure what it accomplishes other then maybe eliminating the least liked candidates.

A few months later there are statewide primaries for all political parties (including the republican party) ...

Seems like a duplication of process to me.

But then again, the article states a letter was sent out to all Utah congregations. Doesn't mention other states at this time.

But wouldn't that then be construed as opposing one particular political party?

Could look at it either way ... but there is nothing said that people have to skip caucusing to attend church activities, you can choose of your own free will to skip church activities.

By not cancelling church activities, each individual exercises their own free will & chooses for themselves, based on the conscience (or prayerful contemplation).

I don't think the issue of "showing support" would have come up if it had been the democrats that mid-week activities were being cancelled for ... but to cancel church activities for a political event that only include the "more conservative party" really raised A LOT of eyebrows.