Limited recommend and temple question.

Normandy

When can new members get a limited recommend for the temple? Someone told me once I had received a calling I'd be worthy of it, now someone is telling me that as long as I haven't turned one down I can get it.

I haven't received a calling yet, but I'd like my limited recommend.

Second question is, I've been invited to a few group baptism days, but I can never go on the days they schedule. If I go alone, how many can I do at once? I just need to know so I can print my cards.

Thanks!

When can new members get a limited recommend for the temple? Someone told me once I had received a calling I'd be worthy of it, now someone is telling me that as long as I haven't turned one down I can get it.

I haven't received a calling yet, but I'd like my limited recommend.

As far as I know, there's no set waiting period for getting your limited use recommend: as soon as your Bishop knows you're ready, you can get one. Contact your Bishop to get the process started.

Second question is, I've been invited to a few group baptism days, but I can never go on the days they schedule. If I go alone, how many can I do at once? I just need to know so I can print my cards.

That probably depends on how busy the temple is, or whether or not they do open baptism sessions. I'd call the temple and ask.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Talk to your Bishop.

Recently in my ward a young woman was baptized and then went to the temple to do baptisms for the dead (with the other youth from the ward) the SAME DAY.

:D

Your bishop is the one (and only) that can make the call about your worthiness. There is no policy about calling (But again your bishop makes the call)

As for how many you can do at once that depends on how busy the temple is. Generally they try to support you doing as many of your own names as possible. However if they are really busy they might need to limit you so that every can take part in a timely manner. The only way to know is to call the temple and ask

The same day? Water logged much? ha!

I just have to wait for my bishop to get back in town! Then, it's on! But, I'm confident I'll get it (I don't know of a reason I wouldn't be worthy and he's already told me I could get it when I was ready, but I then I heard I had to have a calling first and I never inquired more about it with him).

I've never been to the Portland temple (inside) so I'll call and ask. I think most of the people in my ward call ahead and schedule times from what I've heard.

That's where I did baptisms for the dead for most of my young women years, so I'm quite fond of it. Be sure to spend some time in the atrium while you're there. There are very few places I've ever been to that are more peaceful than the atrium of the Portland Temple.

That's where I did baptisms for the dead for most of my young women years, so I'm quite fond of it. Be sure to spend some time in the atrium while you're there. There are very few places I've ever been to that are more peaceful than the atrium of the Portland Temple.

I've already been to the atrium! I'm looking forward to going again -- alone. I process things much better when I'm alone (with God).

I was offered one the same day I was baptized.

Something I've learned about the church... If it's something you're interested in... Ask.

This bloke Rob and I were baptized the same weekend. Someone asked me about a limited recommend, someone else asked him about a patriarchal blessing. The same sort of thing has happened numerous times to us (and from what I gather, to others).

It wasn't that either of us were being snubbed, or forgotten, or were felt more or less worthy.

It's just that it happened to be on someone's mind when we were standing there in front of them.

The worst thing that has EVER happened to me when I ask leadership about XYZ, is that I get the information of what I have to do first, or what needs to happen. Which is a awesome. Because then I know. Best case, of course, is getting what I want. But a VERY close 2nd is knowing the steps I need to take to achieve what I want!

Q

Guest Doctrine
Talk to your Bishop.

Recently in my ward a young woman was baptized and then went to the temple to do baptisms for the dead (with the other youth from the ward) the SAME DAY.

:D

Just baptized, what about reviving the Holy Ghost

This bloke Rob and I...

Hi Quin, are you from or have links with Britain at all?

It wasn't that either of us were being snubbed, or forgotten, or were felt more or less worthy.

It's just that it happened to be on someone's mind when we were standing there in front of them.

I think it is important to remember this and that our church leaders are imperfect but I think also our leaders do lovingly consider us and assist as as directed by the spirit according to our needs.

I came home last night with my limited recommend! Yay.

The bishop mentioned family sheets. No idea what he was talking about so I need to go research this!

Good for you! Congrats!

There really is no time frame required to get a limited use recommend.

What the Bishop is probly talking about is family names. You can go on to FamilySearch.org & research your ancestors & family lineage. If any of them need their temple work you can reserve them online, print out a sheet to take to the temple, The temple workers will print "ordinance cards" for you to do the baptisms & confirmations for the female names.

If, say your parents are deceased, then you could take to the temple a family group sheet showing you as a child of your parents & could use that sheet to do your mother's baptism/confirmation.

You ward Family History person could help you figure all that out, or there's lots of online resources on familysearch.org & it's fairly easy to these days as compared to years past.

Most temples outside of Utah do require an appointment to do baptisms. How many names you can get baptized for each time you go is kind of set by the Temple & the number of patrons they have for baptisms ... years ago it was as few as 6 at Provo & as many of 35 at a time at MTimp.

If you are taking family names, when you schedule it you tell them how many names you have so they'll know how long will be required.

Hope that helps!

It is my understanding that a Limited Recommend is only for a set time. You need to see when your recommend expires and then decide how many baptisms you can do. Family Sheets are your parents, you and your siblings. To do your parents & deceased siblings, that is all you need to have.

Remember you can only do same gender - when I went in to be sealed to my parents after I got my own endowment, I only needed the family group sheet. LDS Family Group Record - Fillable Family Group Records Mom had joined the church when she was in her late 50's, and after Dad had passed. She did all the work for him, and went to the temple to do the ordinances for him and to be sealed to him.

I went after she had passed, to be sealed to her. The link above is the sheet I needed - Husband is your father, Wife is your mother. Put in order your siblings. If they are still alive, then put Alive and not a name/date/etc. Be sure to put your name in the proper spot.

I was the 4th of 7 children. I only entered the name and data of my siblings that had passed on.

Just last April, the RS Sisters took the youth to the Temple to assist us in doing the baptisms and confirmations of the family names we had spent a year gathering. The Priesthood went, as the temple needed them to do the baptizing and witnessing. We did 170 names! There were only 6 youth who were worthy to go, and one adult female newly baptized member. There were 5 sisters who helped, and 5 PH who did baptisms too.

I couldn't do any of the baptisms, because I left my ear plugs at home. They don't sell them at the rental counter at the temple! Nor did they sell them at the Deseret Book Store!

The family my husband Home Teaches, their teen son did the men's names for my husband. His mother did the women's names for husband and myself.

In our ward/stake the sooner the better after baptism. There is a retention video that was done about a ward in...can't remember which state... Iowa? not sure... anyway, They found the faster they got a new convert involved in family history and doing baptisms in the temple the more likely they would stay active.

In our ward/stake the sooner the better after baptism. There is a retention video that was done about a ward in...can't remember which state... Iowa? not sure... anyway, They found the faster they got a new convert involved in family history and doing baptisms in the temple the more likely they would stay active.

There are actually churchwide statistics on this going back 20+ years ... family history & taking family names, if possible of family members you knew or have heard stories of, to the temple for baptisms as soon as possible after your own baptism.