Connecting Cub Scout Core Values to Scriptures, Articles of Faith, Etc.

notquiteperfect

Hi all - I want to do something for our Blue & Gold Banquet that's coming up and thought I'd ask all of you amazing people. Anyway, what scriptures, stories, songs, etc. come to mind with these:

Positive Attitude

Resourcefulness

Compassion (Christ healing the lepers)

Faith (story of Abraham and Isaac)

Health and Fitness (D&C 88:124)

Perseverance

Courage (story of Nephi getting the brass plates)

Honesty (primary song #149)

Cooperation

Responsibility

Citizenship (Article of Faith 12)

Respect

The ideas above are just examples. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by notquiteperfect
change tense

Hi all - I want to do something for our Blue & Gold Banquet that's coming up and thought I'd ask all of you amazing people. Anyway, what scriptures, stories, songs, etc. come to mind with these:

Positive Attitude (Article of Faith #13)

Resourcefulness

Compassion (Christ healing the lepers)

Faith (story of Abraham and Isaac) (have them read the whole Book of Mormon :D -- Nephi and the Plates, Moroni's statement "I will not deny the Christ")

Health and Fitness (D&C 88:124)

Perseverance (3 Nephi 15:9; 2 Nephi 31: 16; Moroni 9:25, 1 Nephi 15: 24; 1 Nephi 8: 30)

Courage (story of Nephi getting the brass plates)

Honesty (primary song #149) (Article of Faith #13;

Cooperation (if ye are one ye are mine (John 17);

Responsibility (Learn their duty: D&C 107: 99; Alma 57: 21)

Citizenship (Article of Faith 12)

Respect

The ideas above are just examples. Any thoughts you have would be greatly appreciated!

My answer are in blue for your review.

If you go to your council's monthly roundtable, they'll help you with ideas on how to do this each month in advance.

Here is the Cub Scout Den and Pack meeting guide. The pack meeting with the core values are near the back.

http://www.buckskin.org/BlankSite/media/Global/Documents/Den-Pack-Meeting-Resource-Guide-34409.pdf

That's the thing - I try to emphasize the core values because that's the only thing I can see why the Church is even associated with the BSA.

For the record, my brothers and husband are all Eagles and I thought it was a great organization --- until I got involved with Cubs and have read and seen how sacred funds are not only used to teach false traditions but it's in quite a contrast with what the girls do!

Also, the Church doesn't need the BSA to teach these ideals! My dad is living proof!

That's the thing - I try to emphasize the core values because that's the only thing I can see why the Church is even associated with the BSA.

For the record, my brothers and husband are all Eagles and I thought it was a great organization --- until I got involved with Cubs and have read and seen how sacred funds are not only used to teach false traditions but it's in quite a contrast with what the girls do!

Also, the Church doesn't need the BSA to teach these ideals! My dad is living proof!

What false traditions?

Girls are not in Girls Scouts because the GSA does not align with Church Standards. It is my understanding that the BSA tailored their programs specifically for the LDS Church.

Yes, the Church doesn't need the BSA to teach these ideals. But the BSA Organization is a ready-made Organization that has brought the development of these ideals into a pre-packaged standard. Going it on your own means you'll need to come up with your own packaged standard on how to develop these character traits and life skills as well as fund it all on your own. Do you know how much money the Church budgets for the Scouting Program? Very very very small compared to the cost of running a program such as this.

It's like Girls on the Run. Sure, you can run a marathon without ever joining a GOTR program. But, if you're a mom of a pre-teen who is interested in running, the GOTR program not only gets your kid running in a series of step-by-step methodology that has been tried and tested to work, you also get the character development, motivation, comaraderie, and goal-setting of the GOTR program. So, if I had a girl who is interested in running, that's where she's going.

Giving someone something for every little thing they do is a false tradition. Years ago, there were beads (cheap, plastic beads) for the girls in Activity Days to earn when they finished things in *Faith in God* but the Church did away with that. The boys, on-the-other-hand are still given all sorts of patches, belt loops and pins (not cheap) for things that you won't find in Faith in God. They also meet more often. The Young Women used to have medallions when you earned your Beehive, MiaMaid and Laurel but that doesn't happen any more either. If these things are good enough for the girls, why are they not good enough for the boys? We are equal after all and it would be nice if that was backed up.

I think the BSA fit better with the Church in the past but it's taken a turn - a very expensive turn.

Edited by notquiteperfect

Giving someone something for every little thing they do is a false tradition. Years ago, there were beads (cheap, plastic beads) for the girls in Activity Days to earn when they finished things in *Faith in God* but the Church did away with that. The boys, on-the-other-hand are still given all sorts of patches, belt loops and pins (not cheap) for things that you won't find in Faith in God. They also meet more often. The Young Women used to have medallions when you earned your Beehive, MiaMaid and Laurel but that doesn't happen any more either. If these things are good enough for the girls, why are they not good enough for the boys? We are equal after all and it would be nice if that was backed up.

I think the BSA fit better with the Church in the past but it's taken a turn - a very expensive turn.

The YW in our ward get more than plastic beads. They get certificates and all kinds of things to mark their successes. They meet the same exact days as YM.

So, your take is that - because we quit giving out trophies to YW, that we should quit giving out trophies to YM. So, we should take them out of BSA so they won't get trophies for achievements anymore.

That is why the Scouting Program in the Church is terrible? Because they get doo-dads? And I don't know why it fit better in the past but not now. They've been getting doo-dads since the program was started a century ago.

By the way, my husband's work area just hired a new guy for a position that is in the $90-$120K range. They had hundreds of applicants. They whittled it down to 5. Management and HR went into a room to pow-wow the last 5 to pick the 1. After an hour of deliberation, they finally came up with the last guy standing. And the only reason he got picked over the other 4... he wrote on his resume that he's an Eagle Scout.

Eagle Scouts still get respect even today.

By the way, my husband's work area just hired a new guy for a position that is in the $90-$120K range. They had hundreds of applicants. They whittled it down to 5. Management and HR went into a room to pow-wow the last 5 to pick the 1. After an hour of deliberation, they finally came up with the last guy standing. And the only reason he got picked over the other 4... he wrote on his resume that he's an Eagle Scout.

Eagle Scouts still get respect even today.

Having 'Eagle Scout' was a plus on my husband's resume as well but again - I've seen that not all 'Eagles' are equal!

The YW in our ward get more than plastic beads. They get certificates and all kinds of things to mark their successes. They meet the same exact days as YM.

So, your take is that - because we quit giving out trophies to YW, that we should quit giving out trophies to YM. So, we should take them out of BSA so they won't get trophies for achievements anymore.

That is why the Scouting Program in the Church is terrible? Because they get doo-dads? And I don't know why it fit better in the past but not now. They've been getting doo-dads since the program was started a century ago.

First off, you misread - it's Activity Days that did the beads and meet less often. And maybe you're not aware but

“Parents and leaders should help the children understand that the joy of living the gospel is the most important reward” (Faith in God guidebook [2003], 19).

Having 'Eagle Scout' was a plus on my husband's resume as well but again - I've seen that not all 'Eagles' are equal!

I completely agree with you on that! Our Ward Scouting program is run terribly. Do you know that somebody in our ward got First Class and cannot swim more than a few yards? Swimming - and being able to save yourself or somebody in the water - is a requirement for First Class and somebody in Boy Scouts could schedule a swim event, see all the scouts are First Class or above and unknowingly put one scout in danger of drowning...