Weird things you did as a child

Suzie

Another thing we would do is tie fishing line across the street. When cars would break it, it would make a loud snapping noise and watch peoples reaction.

We also used to do that and run the line through a couple of straws in the middle so that they appeared to be floating (all at night). Cars would stop, their drivers would get out and we would steal their cars! Oh, well, okay we wouldn't steal their cars, we would just watch. Once we did that about 5 times down the same street, it was funny to see the car stop with each "floating straw" road block.

We did something like that except we also tied water balloons on the string

It was weird when I think about all the money that went around those spokes when collecting baseball cards became high dollar stuff. :money:

We just used face cards.

We saved snow balls in the freezer and got them out in the summer time and throw them at cars.

Oooh... we don't have snowballs in the islands but freezers used to be non-self-defrosting. So, once the freezer frost gets thick, we would grab our spoons, scrape off the frost in the freezer into cups, and make snow cones... my favorite was condensed milk snow cone! Yum!

So yeah, my mom never had to defrost the freezer.

To understand this story you need to know two things:

1. As a kid I used to build plastic model kits of military aircraft. I had models of the Lancaster, Halifax and wellington bombers, several Spitfires, the F1-11 and Phantom jet fighters and several others. When each one was completed I'd hang it with cotton from the roof of our conservatory to look like it was flying. At the time this story is set, there was quite a collection of them hovering around the room.

2. My brother owned a spring-loaded toy rifle that fired plastic projectiles with rubber suckers on the ends. At the time this story is set, the suckers had long broken off the projectiles, which were now lethal shards of hard plastic which would easily take your eye out.

I think you can guess where this is going...

One Satureday morning when I was about 11, I thought it would be fun to use my brother's toy rifle as an "anti aircraft gun". I lay on the floor and pointed it at the Lancaster flying above me. Naturally I missed, but the sharp metal dart hit the plastic roof of the conservatory and punched a hole in it.

Well there was no point denying to my parents that I was responsible. My Dad demanded to know what was going to stop water getting in next time it rained. But I had a suggestion up my sleeve: I knew he had some plastic sheeting in the garage, as well as a tube of epoxy resin. Why not cut a small piece of it - a couple of inches square - and glue it over the hole.

That's exactly what he did. In the days that followed I suffered periodic verbal lambastment for what I'd done, but every time I was able to point out that I had also supplied the solution. So that kinda evened things out :)