Favorite Scriptures

Palerider

What are some of your favorite scriptures? When your feeling down or having a hard time which ones give you hope or help you feel better etc...

Matt. 11:28-30

28 ¶ Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest.

29 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls.

30 For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

This is one that I love amongst others. This always makes me feel better when I read it or recite it to myself.

D&C 6:22-23

Verily, verily, I say unto you, if you desire a further witness, cast your mind upon the night that you cried unto me in your heart, that you might know concerning the truth of these things.

Did I not speak peace to your mind concerning the matter? What greater witness can you have than from God?

Moroni 9:6

"And now, my beloved son, notwithstanding their hardness, let us labor diligently; for if we should cease to labor, we should be brought under condemnation; for we have a labor to perform whilst in this tabernacle of clay, that we may conquer the enemy of all righteousness, and rest our souls in the kingdom of God"

I find this one helpful whenever I find my resolve wavering, when I start to feel discouraged about whether or not living the gospel is really having a positive effect on anyone.

Edited by the_last_gunslinger

Proverbs 3:5-6

5 ¶Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.

6 In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

And

D&C 121:7-8

7 My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;

8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.

1 Corinthians 10: 12-13

12 Wherefore let him that thinketh he standeth take heed lest he fall.

13 There hath no temptation taken you but such as is common to man: but God is faithful, who will not suffer you to be tempted above that ye are able; but will with the temptation also make a way to escape, that ye may be able to bear it.

________

Heleman 5:9

O remember, remember, my sons, the words which king Benjamin spake unto his people; yea, remember that there is no other way nor means whereby man can be saved, only through the atoning blood of Jesus Christ, who shall come; yea, remember that he cometh to redeem the world.

Doctrine and Covenants 121:7-9

7 My son, peace be unto thy soul; thine adversity and thine afflictions shall be but a small moment;

8 And then, if thou endure it well, God shall exalt thee on high; thou shalt triumph over all thy foes.

9 Thy friends do stand by thee, and they shall hail thee again with warm hearts and friendly hands.

Guest LiterateParakeet

Doctrine and Covenants 81:5

5 Wherefore, be faithful; stand in the office which I have appointed unto you; succor the weak, lift up the hands which hang down, and strengthen the feeble knees.

DW and I were having a very rough time not too long after we were sealed and I was seriously wondering if we had not made a mistake by being sealed to each other as at that point in time we were not sure we wouldn't be getting a divorce. We were in Utah and at Temple Square talking with a young Sister missionary (just tour stuff, nothing about our problems) when she said she wanted to share a verse of scripture with us.

2nd Nephi 31:20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

The anger we had been feeling towards each other melted from both of us at that instant. That was over 15 years ago and we're still together and happy.

Don't even try to tell me you can't receive inspiration from the Holy Ghost, thankfully that young Sister Missionary listened and acted.

Edited by mnn727

DW and I were having a very rough time not too long after we were sealed and I was seriously wondering if we had not made a mistake by being sealed to each other as at that point in time we were not sure we wouldn't be getting a divorce. We were in Utah and at Temple Square talking with a young Sister missionary (just tour stuff, nothing about our problems) when she said she wanted to share a verse of scripture with us.

2nd Nephi 31:20 Wherefore, ye must press forward with a steadfastness in Christ, having a perfect brightness of hope, and a love of God and of all men. Wherefore, if ye shall press forward, feasting upon the word of Christ, and endure to the end, behold, thus saith the Father: Ye shall have eternal life.

The anger we had been feeling towards each other melted from both of us at that instant. That was over 15 years ago and we're still together and happy.

Don't even try to tell me you can't receive inspiration from the Holy Ghost, thankfully that young Sister Missionary listened and acted.

Thanks for sharing that.

I'm cheating. Another one of my favorites is the shortest verse in the King James Version of the Bible. John 11:35: Jesus wept.

Even when He appears silent and distant, I know God sees, hears, aches for the difficulty of my journey. The "whys" may still allude me, but so long as I know the "Who" I shall indeed endure...to the end.

2 Corinthians 12; " 7 And lest I should be exalted above measure through the abundance of the revelations, there was given to me a thorn in the flesh, the messenger of Satan to buffet me, lest I should be exalted above measure.

8 For this thing I besought the Lord thrice, that it might depart from me.

9 And he said unto me, My grace is sufficient for thee: for my strength is made perfect in weakness. Most gladly therefore will I rather glory in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.

10 Therefore I take pleasure in infirmities, in reproaches, in necessities, in persecutions, in distresses for Christ’s sake: for when I am weak, then am I strong."

...knowing we all have "thorns" in the flesh.

A list of my favorites:

1) Jacob 2: 8

2) This transition or correlation of scriptures: 1 Nephi 11: 16; John 3: 16; Moroni 9:25; 1 Nephi 11: 17

3) Moses 6: 60

4) 2 Nephi 33: 6 (wraps up the whole Book of Mormon nicely)

5) Alma 7: 24

6) John 11: 35

That is a good start.

D&C 93:1 Verily, thus saith the Lord: It shall come to pass that every soul who forsaketh his sins and cometh unto me, and calleth on my name, and obeyeth my voice, and keepeth my commandments, shall see my face and know that I am

Proverbs 8: 17 I love them that love me; and those that seek me early shall find me.

D&C 88: 83 He that seeketh me early shall find me, and shall not be forsaken.

Moroni 7:3 Wherefore, I would speak unto you that are of the church, that are the peaceable followers of Christ, and that have obtained a sufficient hope by which ye can enter into the rest of the Lord, from this time henceforth until ye shall rest with him in heaven.

2 Nephi 32:4 Wherefore, now after I have spoken these words, if ye cannot understand them it will be because ye ask not, neither do ye knock; wherefore, ye are not brought into the light, but must perish in the dark.

5 For behold, again I say unto you that if ye will enter in by the way, and receive the Holy Ghost, it will show unto you all things what ye should do.

6 Behold, this is the doctrine of Christ, and there will be no more doctrine given until after he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh. And when he shall manifest himself unto you in the flesh, the things which he shall say unto you shall ye observe to do.