And . . . THIS is why you don't let the Feds run an auto company.

Just_A_Guy

I'm a bit confused by the article.

It's my understanding that the US Govt rotates each year on which American Auto Manufacturer it buys from (GM being one of, what? 3? Ford, GM, Chrysler?). Which is why govie cars (from police cruisers to parks dept trucks to motorcade limos) alternate between them.

If it was GMs turn that year, then it has absolutely nothing to do with Whomever is sitting POTUS.

Nor with whatever manufacturing or financial difficulties were being had by the company.

Q

I donno, Canada and the US treats and talks about its governments a lot differently.

I never hear people here saying we need less of it. What the people talk about in the US politically and what they talk about here is very different.

Only same I can think of was for a short time gay marriage was in the debates...

I don't feel the government is entrenched in my life.

Even going into the process of applying for disability money.

Everyone out west wants smaller government. Ok, maybe not everyone, but a vast majority do.

I'm a bit confused by the article.

It's my understanding that the US Govt rotates each year on which American Auto Manufacturer it buys from (GM being one of, what? 3? Ford, GM, Chrysler?). Which is why govie cars (from police cruisers to parks dept trucks to motorcade limos) alternate between them.

If it was GMs turn that year, then it has absolutely nothing to do with Whomever is sitting POTUS.

Nor with whatever manufacturing or financial difficulties were being had by the company.

Q

Quin - this is connected to the Auto Bailouts in Obama's 1st term and the NHTSA's defect/recalls investigations. Nothing to do with who the government buys its government cars from.

I donno, Canada and the US treats and talks about its governments a lot differently.

Because Canada and US governments are structured differently...

I never hear people here saying we need less of it. What the people talk about in the US politically and what they talk about here is very different.

That's because Small versus Big Government argument is loooooong past in Canada. You're living under Big Government now.

Only same I can think of was for a short time gay marriage was in the debates...

I don't feel the government is entrenched in my life.

Even going into the process of applying for disability money.

You're receiving disability money. The government is financing your life. That's as entrenched as you can get. Not that there's anything wrong with the government subsidizing citizens with disabilities. Just showing you what we mean by being entrenched.

So that passes for journalism these days? An inflamatory headline, throw in a bunch of coincidental happenings and twist everything to your view, then don't even answer the question you asked in your headline? Pathetic.

Did Obama do everything perfectly with GM and Chrysler? No.

Did Obama do what he should have to save GM and Chrysler? Yes.

Have both companies paid back all the loans (with interest)? Yep.

These problems in these cars were well known long before Obama took office. Instead of blaming him, why not blame the NHTSB? They're the ones who issue safety recalls, not the president.

Actually, GM and Chrysler have only paid off a portion of what we ended up giving them. It is amazing how many gimmicks government can use to move money around.

GM only needed to go thru a bankruptcy, which they ended up doing after we bailed them out anyway. Chrysler was taken from the stock holders and used as a payback for unions. So, Obama picked the winners.

While I don't blame Obama for this big miss, I do blame government for being inefficient and liable to being bribed or not do its job.

Canada is very different from the USA. Governing 30 million people and 80 million caribou is very different from governing 300 million people AND policing the world. You don't see the Canadian government trying to intercept everyone's cell phone calls, use their version of the IRS to attack political opponents, or have their intelligence agency snoop on their parliament.

Our government has moved from being something to assist the people, to wanting to direct the lives of people. It is like the Master Controller in the movie TRON, always seeking to suck up more into its growing power scheme. The American government is becoming fascist and tyrannical - the opposite of what the Founding Fathers sought to have.

We are having a big discussion that Canadians are not, simply because we have a huge population that is being rounded up electronically, being told how to spend our money, and being told we have to like it. If Canada was doing the same to their people, you would also see a big fuss going on there.

Hidden

What is freedom? Can a society have some segments free and others in bondage and still be considered a free society or must a free society guarantee freedom and liberty for all?

Milton Friedman talks about the "Pillars" of freedom in a free society and introduces that thought that economic freedom is one of the great pillars of a free society - that without economic freedom a society will not actually be free and will, without question fall into a collapse of all freedoms.

Most of us believe that humans long to be free. I am not sure I believe such to be the case. In fact I believe the opposite to be more prevalent in history and our current state of things. That few desire or wish for the practice of the disciplines of freedom and if given the choice prefer to be undisciplined. It appears to me that indiscipline has become the definition of what it means to be free.

My father told me that one of the greatest lies rampant in the world - that even your best friend will look you in the eye and without hesitation lie to you concerning how well they handle their personal finances. That they will even look themselves in the mirror and lie to themselves about their personal discipline of their finances. The problem is that we are not economically free and have no desire, what-so-ever to ever be so.

The Traveler

Because Canada and US governments are structured differently...

That's because Small versus Big Government argument is loooooong past in Canada. You're living under Big Government now.

You're receiving disability money. The government is financing your life. That's as entrenched as you can get. Not that there's anything wrong with the government subsidizing citizens with disabilities. Just showing you what we mean by being entrenched.

I asked them, I wanted that money, so I wanted them there...

It's a tad different then you saying they shouldn't be there, vs me asking them to be there...

I donno how big our government is, but I do remember in the 90s, with the amalgamation, we actually got rid of a ton of the government (example- every small town once had a government, now they are part of the largest city they are closest to-which has 1 government)