Second Coming Guesses

Syme

There are a few people that have Patriarchal Blessings that state something like "You will witness the Second Coming (while still alive)"

Can these be used to "guess" the time of the Second Coming? If they are true, does that really mean it would happen in, at most, the next 80 years or so?

Or perhaps it means it already happened and nobody realized it.

Or perhaps we are incorrect in our understanding of the second coming being an event. If we consider it a process, then everyone since the restoration has witnessed the second coming while they were alive.

So I think you'd have to nail down what "Second Coming" really means, and then my answer would still be no, you can't use patriarchal blessings to narrow down the time of the Second Coming.

There are a few people that have Patriarchal Blessings that state something like "You will witness the Second Coming (while still alive)"

Can these be used to "guess" the time of the Second Coming? If they are true, does that really mean it would happen in, at most, the next 80 years or so?

My grandmothers's patriarchal blessing said that and she died in 1987 at the age of 82. So like MOE said, you can't narrow it down by one's patriarchal blessing.

There have already been some remarks that I consider good on this subject but I would add another thought. Perhaps it is possible that such pronouncements in a blessing are intended to point to things we may not be associating with the second coming. For example, it may concern something like; that they will be resurrected to accompany Christ during his return. (See Jude 1:14-15 -- which BTW is a direct quote from an ancient source that is no longer accepted as scripture by Traditional Christians).

The Traveler

D&c 49:6-7

6 And they have done unto the Son of Man even as they listed; and he has taken his power on the bright hand of his glory, and now reigneth in the heavens, and will reign till he descends on the earth to put all enemies under his feet, which time is nigh at hand—

7 I, the Lord God, have spoken it; but the hour and the day no man knoweth, neither the angels in heaven, nor shall they know until he comes.

No.

My mother's (who is 91 years old) Patriarchal Blessing states that she is living in the latter days and will witness the return of the Lost Tribes of Israel, see the redemption of Zion, see the temple and city built, be quickened and caught up to meet the Redeemer of the World with the great host that will come with Him and also meet the resurrected Saints that will come forth at that time. And then it further states that after his Second Coming she will continue to work in the temples and preach the Gospel to those who are living during that time. And then she will be changed from mortality to immortality in the twinkling of an eye.

I don't believe she will be "alive" to witness all this. Does that mean her P. B. is wrong? Again, I don't believe so. I attended a temple sealing where the former Temple President conducted the sealing. He stated that after we die and are in the Spirit World, we are still in a mortal, probationary state. I've tried to ponder what that means. And my thoughts are that even though our bodies are buried, our Spirit lives on. And, our Spirit is actually who we truly in essence are. Our Spirit can still make choices as to whether we will follow Christ or reject Him ( a spiritual death?). So, with that thinking in mind, yes, my mother will witness the Second Coming, but she will most likely be on the other side of the veil.

... the former Temple President conducted the sealing. He stated that after we die and are in the Spirit World, we are still in a mortal, probationary state.

In your pondering did it occur to you that maybe he was wrong. Because that makes no sense. Mortal means mortal. And, scripturally, this life is the probationary time to prepare to meet God. I can see an application of probationary state to spirit prison, of course. But mortal? I don't think so.

I tend to think of the Second Coming being a process ... what in this life or this world has not been a process, a series of small or major events spaced apart or in rapid succession, all leading up to "the main event". Even the restoration was a process.

Patriarchal Blessings?

I do not get all wrapped up in trying to interpret what a patriarchal blessing may or may not mean. The promises of the blessing are based up ones faithfulness, & in general based upon ones choices and agency ... not just my own choices & agency but also to some degree the choices & agency of others.

My PB is very clear in stating that all things have their proper time and that in proper time I will "... come to understand the differences between the interpretation of temporal eyes and those of a spiritual being."

Huh ... so what I see as a temporal being is different from what a spiritual being would see or experience ...

My Great Grandmother, her PB promises here a long and happy life with many children that will bring her great joy.

At the young age of 23 she made a trip into town where she encountered a less then favorable situation. She ran to the side of a young lady in need of medical attention and tended to her injuries. My great grandmother had herself suffered a gunshot wound; however, she did not give mind to her own medical needs, only those of the young lady. My G-Grandmother died a few days later from her wounds.

23 years a long & happy life?

2 children left for her husband to raise equates to "many"?

Temporal eyes see 2 children & wonder about the promise of "many children" & "great joy" ... well, I don't wonder.

Her 2 children have multiplied to over 80 with the 3-Great generation starting.

How about the progeny of that young lady whom she ran to care for? Over 200 descendants ... that to me represents "great joy".

I do not believe we can do a literal translation of what someone's PB says because we do not have the eyes of a spiritual being, we see and understand things as a man sees and understands them.

In your pondering did it occur to you that maybe he was wrong. Because that makes no sense. Mortal means mortal. And, scripturally, this life is the probationary time to prepare to meet God. I can see an application of probationary state to spirit prison, of course. But mortal? I don't think so.

Perhaps mortal isn't the best choice of words that he could have used. But, I can see what he was trying to say. We still have choices we can make in the spirit world (by that I mean Spirit Prison and Paradise). We can still choose to follow Christ, or not. We can choose to do the work that is needed beyond the veil, or not. I don't believe we will be in a perfected state when we die. In order to get to that perfected state we will need to make choices to get there. I believe our spirits will have the same disposition that we have now. If we are vain, prideful, judgmental, or have any other negative traits when we die, we will be that way in the spirit world. Just because we die, we won't automatically have those sinful thoughts disappear. And those sins need to be repented of. And depending on where we are spiritually when we die, we can be that much further ahead, or behind.

Not a single one of us will be perfect when we die (excluding little children, and those who die innocent). And if that's the case, not one of us will be able to attain the highest degree of glory for the Lord cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance. And yes, there are different degrees of sinning, but in order to attain exaltation, we must be absolutely clean. And not one of us will be absolutely clean at the time of our deaths. There will be sins that we have forgotten. There may be little sins. There may be big sins. And because we must be clean, every whit, IMO, there must be repentance on the other side of the veil. If we became angry with an individual earlier in the day before we were killed in a car accident, or drop dead from a heart attack, will we not have a way to repent of that sin? IMO, there must be a way to repent in the next life.

And what exactly is repentance? It is feeling sorrow for our sins. It is forsaking the sin. It is asking for forgiveness, etc. We know the steps. Can that not be done on the other side of the veil? I believe it can. Does it mean consequences are not had? No. There are still consequences. And all of us will some day be judged for our works. To me, that means more than that we have repented. That means we will all be judged for our love (charity) toward mankind, family, friends, and acquaintances, etc.

Edited by classylady

I really have never understood the interest in predicting 'the end'

Would you live your life differently if you knew the exact day?

As I age I understand my mortality more, and know I need to live a Christ-like life at all times (and usually fail) what if I knew I had 30 more years, would I put off til the last minute what I should be doing today. If I knew tomorrow was my last, would I do things differently? Would the end of the world be any different (for me) than my personal death?

I really have never understood the interest in predicting 'the end'

Would you live your life differently if you knew the exact day?

As I age I understand my mortality more, and know I need to live a Christ-like life at all times (and usually fail) what if I knew I had 30 more years, would I put off til the last minute what I should be doing today. If I knew tomorrow was my last, would I do things differently? Would the end of the world be any different (for me) than my personal death?

I agree......I don't think I would want to know a date. Just need to be ready.