Plane Missing

Palerider

To be honest, I'm not blown away by this. If you've ever watched those "unsolved mysteries" there's quite a few about large aircrafts and boats disappearing without a trace. A few are quite famously known too.

It's sad for the families though. Not knowing has to be worse than death, I would think...

Guest LiterateParakeet

It amazes me! How could an entire plan be lost? Can you imagine if your family member was on that plane and "we don't know" was the best answer officials could give you? Unacceptable. With all the satellites, and other technology these days, how in the world does a plane just disappear?

I would suspect conspiracy, but who would try to sell that lie, "The plane just disappeared." Yeah right, now tell us what really happened?

I just don't know what to make of it, but surely someone knows something . . .

Yes, I'm amazed and concerned. The word "conspiracy" is so sensationalized as to be useless these days, but there are other possibilities besides accident or sabotage.

It's in an area of the world where AlQaeda has been on the rise and on the move. It's a possibility that bad guys may have tried to grab the plane with the intent of repurposing it into something naughty. If that's the case, I doubt there'll be any relevant geopolitical threat. But the northwest areas of China, the muslim states that used to be part of the USSR, something like that is where it might turn up.

In my mind, from most likely to least likely, here's what happened to the plane:

* intentional act of sabotage, everyone died.

* bad guys stole it, it crashed somewhere and everyone died.

* some fatal accident and everyone died.

* less likely but possible, it was seized by bad guys, but it crashed and everyone died.

* seized and landed somewhere, probably never to fly again.

* seized and landed somewhere, perhaps to be repurposed into a weapon.

* of course, can't rule out:

25376-aliens-meme-aVwp.jpeg

I just think of all the men who went MIA during wars and it took years, even decades to find out what happened to them. This plane has been missing for 11 days. The families may have to wait a whole lot longer to get closure. I'm not without compassion and sadness for them, but threatening a hunger strike if they don't get answers seems pointless. I guess this is causing real insanity for some of them. It really is an awful situation. My guess is that the plane is at the bottom of an ocean somewhere and that the passengers died in their sleep ( from lack of O2) long before it went down. :(

Edited by carlimac

Guest LiterateParakeet
I just think of all the men who went MIA during wars and it took years, even decades to find out what happened to them. This plane has been missing for 11 days. The families may have to wait a whole lot longer to get closure. I'm not without compassion and sadness for them, but threatening a hunger strike if they don't get answers seems pointless. I guess this is causing real insanity for some of them. It really is an awful situation. My guess is that the plane is at the bottom of an ocean somewhere and that the passengers died in their sleep ( from lack of O2) long before it went down. :(

Carl, no offense, but I could only accept the MIA line, if YOU lost someone MIA. But I don't think it helps to say "someone else has had it worse". I know that is a strategy commonly used, not only by you, but I don't find it helpful.

Carl, no offense, but I could only accept the MIA line, if YOU lost someone MIA. But I don't think it helps to say "someone else has had it worse". I know that is a strategy commonly used, not only by you, but I don't find it helpful.

While I agree, I think that what Carlimac was saying was that, insofar as we can tell, the families aren't being lied to about lack of information. A hunger strike won't suddenly make someone give them answers. I think she's saying that a hunger strike is an impractical solution, because it's (apparently, and obviously) not that easy to just come up with a plane because someone demands it.

I'm not trying to be helpful. I'm just saying what comes to mind. What good is a hunger strike going to do? I DID say I had all kinds of compassion and sorrow for those family members. I just think it's better to keep up any possible physical strength to handle the trial they're going through than to make it worse by weakening themselves. It may be a long time before this mystery is resolved. It's indeed unfortunate if someone is leading them to believe it's all a govt. conspiracy and they're being kept from the truth just to taunt them. I think that if they're being kept from information, it's because so much of it is disorganized, isn't necessarily fact and is just theory and supposition. Some of it would raise false hopes which would be more devastating in the end.

I too am amazed that we have not yet found something, but that is only because in my realm of experience we are usually inundated with information about an airline disaster almost as soon as it occurs.

Being from Michigan I am reminded that in the 1950 a DC-4 was lost over Lake Michigan. Lake Michigan is of course much smaller than the search areas we are dealing with in this situation and much shallower in terms of depth. Yet more than 60 years after its disappearance, and with the most modern of sensors that look for it, we have still found no trace of that plane.

So my heart goes out to all that have been impacted by this event, yet after some more thought I'm am more surprised that these kinds of events don't happen more frequently.

RM

Is anyone else amazed that almost two weeks later or a fortnight ago we still have no clue where a big airplane went and or what happened to it and all passengers.

Not really. the earth is a big place, compared to the earth that plane is really really really small. Look how long it took to find the titanic, and we even knew the general area where it went down. This isn't the first time nor will it be the last time where something like a liner vanishes without a trace.

Edited by Blackmarch

I do know CNN is obssessed with this story and isn't talking much about anything else. Nice excuse to ignore the Obamacare debacle. I wonder how much longer they can keep up this level of focus on something that is indeed tragic but impacts the US a minuscule amount compared to other big problems in this country.

Not really. the earth is a big place, compared to the earth that plane is really really really small. Look how long it took to find the titanic, and we even knew the general area where it went down. This isn't the first time nor will it be the last time where something like a liner vanishes without a trace.

While I agree with what your saying it still amazes me today with our technology that it's still missing. I understand the Titanic ....if that makes any sense.

While I agree with what your saying it still amazes me today with our technology that it's still missing. I understand the Titanic ....if that makes any sense.

sure it was down for 70 some odd years enough time for stuff to "settle".

the first thing this plane incident reminded me of a recent plane crash in the US, while not a full size passenger liner, but was a passenger jet (one that sits about 30-40 people). Just up and disappeared took them a long time to find anything. eventually found a couple pieces in a swamp, which finally helped them find it buried in the swamp after apparently nose diving straight down into it.

it was believed to be caused by a fire in the emergency oxygen system which pretty much knocked everyone out.

but the debris field was really small and secondly a lot of it pretty much got swallowed up by the environment.

I believe this was late 80s... biggest thing that was developed since then that helps with tracking stuff is better computer processing and GPS.