What do people think of The Book of Mormon?

Meerkatarmy

I've always felt it's good to know what is 'out there' about the church. Yes, it's mocking and may try to belittle - but I'd rather know about it, so that I can then talk to people about what the true church is actually about.

Though, completely understand why some would have no interest in seeing it.

I haven't seen it, and haven't had any desire to. I've gathered it is on a similar playing field with Jesus Christ Superstar... which I've also never seen nor felt particularly compelled to watch.

Why would you compare it with JCSS? JCSS is a pretty good musical interpretation of the last few days of Jesus Life. Seen it a few times on stage and its always been excellent. The 70's movie is a bit dated but still good and there is also a DVD of a more up to date production which is good as well.

I've found Parker and Stone to be brilliantly funny. Satire, to me, is one of the higher forms of humor, and they are masters. It's a pity they use such wonderful talents to uncharitably mock and scorn.

It's less of a pity to hear stories from people who saw the musical, became interested in the church, and joined.

It's pretty widely held wisdom, inside Christianity and in some places, out: Without charity, you are nothing. Parker and Stone's works usually show a dearth of charity.

I haven't watched the show and don't intend to, although I did watch their SouthPark episode on Mormons.

Why would you compare it with JCSS? JCSS is a pretty good musical interpretation of the last few days of Jesus Life. Seen it a few times on stage and its always been excellent. The 70's movie is a bit dated but still good and there is also a DVD of a more up to date production which is good as well.

I haven't seen either... it is simply the feeling that both give me from what I do know. They rub me the wrong way. JCSS may have merit and draw people to Christ, to me it seems somewhat sacrilegious.

The musical that is. Probably been discussed before but when I searched there were thousands of results. Personally I find it helrious if a tad heavy on the sterotypes.

its from the guys who did southpark, I imagine its funny (and yes its probably heavy on the stereotypes) with some crude stuff mixed in. (I've heard there is one song that one of the lines involves "f--- you God")..... So i'm not going to watch it any time soon.

Now that being said it seems like its demeanor is favorable towards Mormonism even if its poking fun at it. Which I think quite a ways above other plays that really try to belittle religion and Christianity.

Sacrilegious in what way?

I suppose it depends on the definition for sacrilege being used. In the strictest sense of stealing a holy artifact and/or desecrating said item, nothing is sacrilegious about JCSS. Using the more broad definition of sacrilege simply referring to profaning or irreverently dealing with what others find sacred; I feel like the production possibly qualifies. I haven't seen it, this is just my perception of what exposure I have had with it.

To me the entire production appears to belittle the Saviour of mankind as a fame seeking celebrity. At the very least I feel it deals irreverently with the Saviour's life and death. This is my perception of my limited exposure.

To me the entire production appears to belittle the Saviour of mankind as a fame seeking celebrity. At the very least I feel it deals irreverently with the Saviour's life and death. This is my perception of my limited exposure.

I love Jesus Christ Superstar, especially the 1973 version, but the 2000 one is okay as well. I don't get from it that they are depicting Christ as a fame-seeking celebrity. That's the fear harbored by Judas (technically the primary character in the play) and that's the way the disciples viewed him, thought Christ himself never seemed to embrace that, and was in fact flustered and pained throughout because his followers kept missing the point of his message. If I had any gripe at all about their depiction of Christ's last days, it's that they heavily emphasized his human side and left it ambiguous as to whether or not he was actually divine.

As for the Book of Mormon musical, I've heard things about it, it's probably funny, but I don't have any strong desire to see it. Though if they ever turn it into a movie (which I hear they are considering) I think it would be pretty funny to stand outside the movie theater with one of those shirts that says, "The Book was Better."

The Book of Mormon musical mocks cultural issues and a few doctrinal issues with cultural connotations, but it doesn't mock the sacred, which I think shows they didn't want to cross certain lines. They also do have an overall message that the church does make people's lives better (even with all those silly beliefs). So I see it as a positive. However, they are major potty mouths, which is disappointing.

I have always viewed JCSS as divinely motivated. Andrew LLoyd Weber seems to actually want to tell the Easter story in a modern way as a way to show those who might not be open to the more traditional approach! I would recommend listening to the original soundtrack! Have a open mind and heart as you listen and I think most would get the spiritual aspect that is there!

If I had any gripe at all about their depiction of Christ's last days, it's that they heavily emphasized his human side and left it ambiguous as to whether or not he was actually divine.

This is my problem with Jesus Christ Superstar. When I saw it, I came away from it thinking that the message the whole play was trying to impart was to tell people that Jesus Christ was no more special than, say, Ghandi.

I like most of Book of Mormon Musical and it has a feel-good message although like Jesus Christ Superstar - a secular message, not necessarily divine message. But there is a song there that I just couldn't stomach.

Edited by anatess

This is my problem with Jesus Christ Superstar. When I saw it, I came away from it thinking that the message the whole play was trying to impart was to tell people that Jesus Christ was no more special than, say, Ghandi.

I think that has merit. According to wikipedia the lyricist, Tim Rice, has been quoted as saying "It happens that we don't see Christ as God but simply the right man at the right time at the right place"

Their reference is Time, November 9, 1970. I don't have access to any catalog to actually confirm that quote.

I think that has merit. According to wikipedia the lyricist, Tim Rice, has been quoted as saying "It happens that we don't see Christ as God but simply the right man at the right time at the right place"

Their reference is Time, November 9, 1970. I don't have access to any catalog to actually confirm that quote.

That actually aligns with his beliefs. He is agnostic leaning on atheist even though he is a member of the Church of England (which, I found doesn't really mean you believe in its tenets).

Lloyd-Webber is not very forthcoming with his religious beliefs. He was raised in a Christian home and has affiliations with Christian Church Charities but he is always evasive about his own personal religiosity when asked about his religious-themed works. He does clearly state that Joseph and the Technicolor Dreamcoat and Jesus Christ Superstar and even the Requiem are secular themed, not divine themed as evidenced by Jesus Christ Superstar put firmly in the perspective of Judas with the play ending at Jesus' death and nothing beyond. And Valjean's religiosity is a product of the Victor Hugo character and not something he himself assigned to the character.

Edited by anatess

I enjoy JCSS very much. I was around when it first came out; it caught a lot of flack then, but it also made a lot of people go back to the Bible and read the 'real' story.

I don't plan on seeing 'The Book of Mormon,' though my mother has seen parts of it when it's been talked about on TV. She's not a member, but is fairly respectful and she didn't see anything wrong with it. I just can't see wasting my money on it.

I'm not sure what episode it's in, or if it was in one of the South Park movies, but I remember a scene where everyone is told that they got it wrong and that the Mormons were the only ones who got it right. Maybe they were making fun, maybe it was a back handed show of respect, but I don't have a problem with Trey and Matt at all.