Gospel And Rock And Roll

Winnie G

Have any you been to a Sunday serivce with rock and roll ?

We went with my neice and her family last Sunday morning, We later attended LDS services.

There service was out doors at the local collage theater. we found it entertaning and I can see was draws peaple to it. Alot of Young peaple. The paster was very good he was able to make his service here and now.

Vary relaxed jeans and t-shirts. Our dress was a little dressy for this meeting.

But I was also was ready for sacrament meeting by the time the afternoon came.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I LOVE Rock and Roll, but I just don't see it ever being appropriate in church. I would however LOVE to see a little more GOSPEL (think Harlem Southern Baptist) music! Don't get me wrong, I am deeply moved and attached to our hymns, I guess I am just also attracted to that "full spirit" sound.

Guest Yediyd

I LOVE Rock and Roll, but I just don't see it ever being appropriate in church. I would however LOVE to see a little more GOSPEL (think Harlem Southern Baptist) music! Don't get me wrong, I am deeply moved and attached to our hymns, I guess I am just also attracted to that "full spirit" sound.

Here,Here, I've been LDS for 3 years and have yet to get used to the music! I was raised southern Baptist...enough said!

I have a hard time picturing general conference this way. After a song of rock n' roll we shall now hear from President Gordon B. Hinckley. Just somehow doesn't seem right at all. There is a time and a place for everything. Just not in church services.

Guest Yediyd

I have a hard time picturing general conference this way. After a song of rock n' roll we shall now hear from President Gordon B. Hinckley. Just somehow doesn't seem right at all. There is a time and a place for everything. Just not in church services.

I agree that in church you should listen to music that moves your soul, not your body, but I need to STAY AWAKE too! there is a fine line, I guess.

I agree with vanilla that I wish at times we had some of the ol' gospel kind of thing. Just not the rock and roll. But I do understand about needing to stay awake sometimes. Believe me I do understand. Especially on "Dry Council Sunday." :D

Guest Yediyd

I agree with vanilla that I wish at times we had some of the ol' gospel kind of thing. Just not the rock and roll. But I do understand about needing to stay awake sometimes. Believe me I do understand. Especially on "Dry Council Sunday." :D

What is dry council sunday?

<div class='quotemain'>

Nickname for the Sunday when High Council members come to the ward to speak.

Off the subject a little, but kind of related....

When my youngest nephew was baptized, he asked me to give the talk about the Holy Ghost. I live about 3 1/2 hours away from them and on my way to his baptism, I was listening to a mixed CD of some of my favorite music. I had two of my nieces with me and I was telling them that I had a talk planned, but I felt like I needed to change it a little bit. Right about that time one of my favorite rock n roll bands (Bon Jovi) started playing "Bed of Roses". There is a line in the song that says "I want to be just as close as, the Holy Ghost is...." and it played right as I was talking about the Holy Ghost. We all realized how funny the timing was and laughed and then I continued on with what I was going to say. That song ended and there was a slight pause and then the next song started playing....it was another Bon Jovi song called "Lay your hands on me" at which point the three of us all died laughing. My niece said, "Maybe this is a sign that you should just play a little Bon Jovi music instead of giving your talk!"

Off the subject a little, but kind of related....

When my youngest nephew was baptized, he asked me to give the talk about the Holy Ghost. I live about 3 1/2 hours away from them and on my way to his baptism, I was listening to a mixed CD of some of my favorite music. I had two of my nieces with me and I was telling them that I had a talk planned, but I felt like I needed to change it a little bit. Right about that time one of my favorite rock n roll bands (Bon Jovi) started playing "Bed of Roses". There is a line in the song that says "I want to be just as close as, the Holy Ghost is...." and it played right as I was talking about the Holy Ghost. We all realized how funny the timing was and laughed and then I continued on with what I was going to say. That song ended and there was a slight pause and then the next song started playing....it was another Bon Jovi song called "Lay your hands on me" at which point the three of us all died laughing. My niece said, "Maybe this is a sign that you should just play a little Bon Jovi music instead of giving your talk!"

Hey I'll listen to Bon Jovi anytime.

Guest Yediyd

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Nickname for the Sunday when High Council members come to the ward to speak.

wow, been a member for 3 years...never heard that before. The only thing I find boring is the "business" stuff. I like to hear the talks. The sunday that I find boring is fast-testifony meeting. Although....sometimes...I really DO feel the Spirit. There are some people, though, who get up there every fast sunday, and the water works ALWAYS come....give me a BREAK.

Guest Username-Removed

I love rock too. I especially love Christian Rock, but you know there simply isnt enough of good mormon Christian Rock, although I keep searching.

Have you guys ever listened to ...

SonicFLOOD? (ok now my secret it out)

Mercy ME?

Jeremy Camp?

Michael W. Smith?

Those are a few of the good ones and all available right on NAPSTER! I usually make them a part of my morning study!

Guest Yediyd

I love rock too. I especially love Christian Rock, but you know there simply isnt enough of good mormon Christian Rock, although I keep searching.

Mercy ME?

Jeremy Camp?

Michael W. Smith?

Those are a few of the good ones and all available right on NAPSTER! I usually make them a part of my morning study!

never heard of any of them nor have I heard of napster...any links? I'm still new to computers.

Guest Username-Removed

<div class='quotemain'>

Mercy ME?

Jeremy Camp?

Michael W. Smith?

never heard of any of them nor have I heard of napster...any links? I'm still new to computers.

Napster is a service on the web located at http://www.napster.com. You can either download songs with the free membership and only pay for the songs you download or you can join them for something like 9.95 / month and pay for each song (99 cents each) but the nice thing with the membership is that you can listen to the songs first. Once songs are downloaded, you can burn them oto a CD. Burn all you like, once you have the title, you can burn it with the membership as often as you like. There are other benefits. I dont have a lot of luxuries in my life, but napster is one, bottled water is the other! :hmmm:

Mercy ME?

Jeremy Camp?

Michael W. Smith?

Heard of SonicFLOOD

Like Mercyme, LOVE their "Homesick"

And Jeremy Camp.... :wow::wow::wow::wow::wow:

Saw him at winterjam...

Heard of MWS...

You heard of Flyleaf or Krystal Meyers?

I was raised Penecostal which did have drums,guitar,bass,etc. for the music. Everyone would stand up and clap and sing. Sometimes someone would dance around.

I loves the Hymns at our Sacrament meetings I am aloud to hear the "still small voice" when I was clapping and singing I was worried about a good time and not worship. I guess I am a wierd one for liking our hymns but I do. The funny thing is I listened to bands like Training for Utopia, Living Scarfice, Norma Jean, etc. (they are really heavy). But I have found my music taste have changed to music that invites the Holy Spirit to whisper not in what was my opinion the spirit of excitement

Guest Username-Removed

Trying Flyleaf now ... I'll let you know ...

I just purchased that Homesick one - dang good song! thank you. For me, hard rock, like FlyLeaf, is for friday or saturday night. When im here studying, those ones I mentioned are my favorite.

Thanks for the heads up on Homesick!

<div class='quotemain'>

Trying Flyleaf now ... I'll let you know ...

I just purchased that Homesick one - dang good song! thank you. For me, hard rock, like FlyLeaf, is for friday or saturday night. When im here studying, those ones I mentioned are my favorite.

Thanks for the heads up on Homesick!

Your welcome! :sparklygrin:

Rebel,

Ok my favorite on the Flyleaf album is "So I Thought" -

I L I K E I T A L O T

OMG Yeah! I like that one and "Fully Alive."

Try Krystal Meyers, she's rock but softer and more powerful messages...

Kutless is my favorite Christian rock band. They are hard enough where it makes me forget they are Christian, yet their lyrics are so powerful it is hard to forget they are one.

I love "Strong Tower"!

Guest Username-Removed

Another good song is .....

Micheal W Smith, "Stand" album, song: Open Arms.

Really decent lyrics, about Jesus Christ and his message of love, and our loss of perception about it.

Another good song is .....

Micheal W Smith, "Stand" album, song: Open Arms.

Really decent lyrics, about Jesus Christ and his message of love, and our loss of perception about it.

I'll have to check him out.

But it'll take awhile as my computer's sound is dead.... :glare: