To shave in Utah or not?

Irishcolleen

My hubby has the sexiest beard imaginable. It is neat, well groomed and not at all long- more a Ryan Gosling than a Duck Dynasty. He is currently searching for a job in Utah. Will he have to shave to be considered for a job? It already breaks my heart that he had to cut off his long, beautiful curly hair.

I love my husband's scruff but since he's changed professions and is in a suit now... he shaves regularly and it kills me! He says that for him personally, he feels it's a better presentation of himself at business meetings with clients, etc. etc. But I suppose it depends on the kind of job, too.

Unless this job is in the Church or related to the Church in some way, probably not.

I have known men who were Bishops & in the Stake Presidencies who had lovely beards. Great, wonderful Santa Clause size (not color) beards.

Have also known men who worked for the church who had beards. Nicely trimmed and kept clean beards.

So, unless the employer states in their dress code - no facial hair. Keep the beard!

Which I never understood since the LDS church gave the world some of the finest beards in our modern age.
I have known men who were Bishops & in the Stake Presidencies who had lovely beards. Great, wonderful Santa Clause size (not color) beards.

Have also known men who worked for the church who had beards. Nicely trimmed and kept clean beards.

I didn't mention this at first because the OP mentioned Utah, but the no beards thing is mostly a Utah and Idaho church culture thing. As far as I've been able to tell, beards became associated with some counterculture movements in the 1950's, and thus beards were strongly discouraged by the Church back then. Those counterculture movements no longer exist, but in some areas of the Church this tradition stuck around and became so enmeshed in the culture that some have difficulty distinguishing it from doctrine. Outside of Utah and Idaho, you'll hardly find any objection to beards. Several people in my home ward in Oregon, for instance, had beards and nobody minded.

I had a goatee for my last 3 years in Utah, and it's been there for all of the dozen or more times we've gone to visit since. It does not look good or sexy in any way whatsoever. But it wasn't a problem while I was there.

I take that back - it was a problem exactly once - I was helping a buddy help his old mission president move. He was moving into one of the ritzy downtown SLC apartments where the 'LDS elite' (if there is such a thing) live. Not the Hotel Utah, but similar. The mission president took a look at me and said "who's your friend with the goatee?"

Anyway, that was it. None of the other bazillion mormons I was around and among every other day of my life as a Utahn ever seemed to have a problem with it, or me.

My hubby has the sexiest beard imaginable. It is neat, well groomed and not at all long- more a Ryan Gosling than a Duck Dynasty. He is currently searching for a job in Utah. Will he have to shave to be considered for a job? It already breaks my heart that he had to cut off his long, beautiful curly hair.

depends on the job. if its a PR job where they have to be pretty immaculate in appearance, then maybe. But it shouldn't matter for most.