Real life?

Interloped

Do you guys truly believe this..?

In the Journal of Discourses words from Brigham Young himself and officially published and included in the BYU library:

It is a doctrine of the Mormon faith that their are people living on both the moon and the son. They dress "much like Quakers and they are tall, many standing seven feet tall or more."

:confused:

Journal of Discourses - Vol 13. Page 217

Vol. 13 Journal of Discourses :: Journal of Discourses

Alice in Wonderland is also in the BYU library, does that make it 100% historical and true? JoD is not doctrine, never has been, never will be.

Brigham Young was a man of his times, have you read what other people in the 1800's thought about the planets?

Edited by mnn727

Your question is ambiguous. People can and to believe lots of different things. Therefore its possible you might find someone that does believe that.

I think you are asking does the church teach this? And the answer to that is a resounding no it does not. If you want to know what the church teaches look at LDS.org and find the links to the manuals the church produces.

As for the Journal of Discourses it does seem that the church treats it in much the same way as the Apocrypha https://www.lds.org/scriptures/dc-testament/dc/91?lang=eng

In the Journal of Discourses words from Brigham Young himself and officially published and included in the BYU library: It is a doctrine of the Mormon faith that their are people living on both the moon and the son. They dress "much like Quakers and they are tall, many standing seven feet tall or more."

Hi Interloped,

I'm confused too. I went to the link you provided, here's page 217:

205353a.jpg

Interloped, can you maybe point out what you're talking about? I don't see BY talking about the moon or sun here on Vol 13, page 217.

I'd suggest you verify your source and clarify your question in your own mind, before you come a-stirring our crazy mormon pots.

Interloper, if you read JD 13:270 (not 217), Young does not say that there are tall men in the moon dressed like Quakers. He points out the limits of science, asks rhetorically whether scientists can tell us if there is anyone living on the moon or the sun, and then offers an off-the-cuff opinion that he "rather think" the sun may be inhabited; the rationale being that it must have been created for some purpose.

The "Quakers on the moon" line comes from the recollections of an associate of Joseph Smith named Oliver Huntington, and was apparently given in private discussions rather than a public sermon. The New York Sun had been party to a "Great Moon Hoax" two years prior to the conversation; and my suspicion is that Smith was making a tongue-in-cheek reference to that hoax--but that Huntington, for whatever reason, didn't get the joke and related Smith's words at face value.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I never took that with any real seriousness (I have heard it before, though have yet to be given something in writing). But even if I was, when was he President of the church, the 1850s (to the 1870s?)? your common man had no clue about anything in space back in those days (I assume) and I also assume I know more about space then those who studied it at the time...

I don't think its right to judge a man for being a prophet because he didn't know about space.

Sure suppose God could have told him about space, but learning something like that takes awhile and I assume God had better things to do, and say to him then teach him about how the sun works or what the deal is with the moon.

Interloper, if you read JD 13:270 (not 217), Young does not say that there are tall men in the moon dressed like Quakers. He points out the limits of science, asks rhetorically whether scientists can tell us if there is anyone living on the moon or the sun, and then offers an off-the-cuff opinion that he "rather think" the sun may be inhabited; the rationale being that it must have been created for some purpose.
So, I'm still confused.

From that same link, now looking at page 270. I still don't see anything about people living on the moon.

5v9amx.png

Yay! Thanks Lakumi.

So, this is what the hubub is about?

I will tell you who the real fanatics are: they are they who adopt false principles and ideas as facts, and try to establish a superstructure upon a false foundation. They are the fanatics; and however ardent and zealous they may be, they may reason or argue on false premises till doomsday, and the result will be false. If our religion is of this character we want to know it; we would like to find a philosopher who can prove it to us. We are called ignorant; so we are: but what of it? Are not all ignorant? I rather think so. Who can tell us of the inhabitants of this little planet that shines of an evening, called the moon? When we view its face we may see what is termed “the man in the moon,” and what some philosophers declare are the shadows of mountains. But these sayings are very vague, and amount to nothing; and when you inquire about the inhabitants of that sphere you find that the most learned are as ignorant in regard to them as the most ignorant of their fellows. So it is with regard to the inhabitants of the sun. Do you think it is inhabited? I rather think it is. Do you think there is any life there? No question of it; it was not made in vain.

So, some person living in the 1800's, before space travel, is opining about people living on the moon and sun? And somehow, because someone was casting his opinion about it, I need to believe his opinion 150-200 years later, just because the person voicing his opinion happened to be leading the church back then?

Ok. Got a good answer for interloped now.

No, I don't believe everything I hear. Even when it comes from the mouth of a church leader. Because church leaders are much like me - fallible, error-prone, bound to a certain extent by the ignorances and cultural swings of his time. Brigham was pretty clear about what he was doing - voicing his opinion. He wasn't saying "God tells me the sun has people living on it". Right?

Sorry - were you under the impression that if a mormon said it at one time, all mormons have to believe it? If that was your impression, I hope this clears it up for you.

Yeah he even said in my opinion.

I mean everyone has them, in my opinion, Peanut Butter and Jam is the most repulsive sandwich ever made.

Doesn't make it true, doesn't even mean anyone should believe me, just my opinion. But if Brigham Young or Joseph Smith said that, people would be all over youtube saying how Mormons can't eat that sort of sandwich because one of their Prophets said they hated it.

People like that, always try and dig up past stuff.

No religion has a perfect history, though I still believe the LDS has a far nicer one then most other churches out there.

Heathen!

:D

its one of few foods I dislike, I like both those things on their own though...

But slightly back on topic, I always enjoyed reading about the history, it is certainly more documented then say the Catholic church.

A lot of people try and toss it at you to say "oh this makes the church bad" but I don't see it that way, history is history for better or worse.

And as I said before, there are other churches with far darker histories.

Good Afternoon Interloped. It is a pleasure to meet you and welcome to the forums! :)

EDIT: Most all of the points that I mention in this post have already been made. My post is pretty much beating a dead horse. I hadn't read the updated thread content prior to posting.

I don't know of a single member of the LDS faith who believes that there are people living on the moon who dress much like the Quakers and are seven feet tall.

I intend to respond more thoroughly later but this isn't doctrine and never has been.

In the Journal of Discourses words from Brigham Young himself and officially published and included in the BYU library:

It is a doctrine of the Mormon faith that their are people living on both the moon and the son. They dress "much like Quakers and they are tall, many standing seven feet tall or more."

Another quick point. Your facts aren't accurate. First, Brigham Young did not say what you are quoting him as saying. Also, your reference is not correct. What Brigham Young said on the matter of life on the Moon or the Sun is found in JoD Vol 13. Page 271 not 217. Note the absence of the mention of Quakers and body length.

-Finrock

Edited by Finrock
Dead horse admission.

is Brigham young saying this of revelation or is he just using some noted astronomer or scientist of the time to illustrate a point?

Most the time when someone comes up with a gripe with the journal of discourses its usually due to a faulty grasp of English. At least in my experience

OR is this just some drive by threadtroll?

I think it's a rather beautiful quote, myself.

Replace 'the moon' with 'the galaxy or all the galaxies in the universe" and the same durn thing holds true. Even the most learned of us know so precious little of the millions and millions of stars and worlds out there. Might some be inhabited? I rather think so.

None of us know, however, and it is an ignorance we all share.

We are all ingnorant in different ways, although in some ways we may all share the same ignorances.

It is humility to recognize how little we know, and how much there is to be learned.

Q

I think it's a rather beautiful quote, myself.

Replace 'the moon' with 'the galaxy or all the galaxies in the universe" and the same durn thing holds true. Even the most learned of us know so precious little of the millions and millions of stars and worlds out there. Might some be inhabited? I rather think so.

None of us know, however, and it is an ignorance we all share.

We are all ingnorant in different ways, although in some ways we may all share the same ignorances.

It is humility to recognize how little we know, and how much there is to be learned.

Q

There could be life within our own solar system. Perhaps it might not be the spaceship making variety, but bacteria on Europa are still aliens.

Yes, obviously this is an eternal truth.

Edit: Just in case I should clarify. ^ Sarcasm.

Edited by church

"You shouldn't believe everything you believe on the internet"

-Brigham Young

And here I've been seeing all over facebook that Abraham Lincoln said that. Sheesh..so who really did say that? :lol: