The Good Ole Days

Bini

I havent read the article yet. Just want to let you know your title made me laugh what do u know of the good ole days, your young....any way ty for the chuckle....

LOL

I am young, I guess, but in my defense - that's how the email was titled :P Pam might be more familiar with some of these though. I could be wrong but apparently she's been around a looooong time.

I havent read the article yet. Just want to let you know your title made me laugh what do u know of the good ole days, your young....any way ty for the chuckle....

There are these things called records, they let people gain information about times and locations in which they were not actually present.

I was born in 1952 - in a Quonset Hut *hospital*. Until I was a junior in High School, we only took a bath once a week. Saturday evening right after dinner was the start of the baths. We washed our hair once a week - in the kitchen sink before we went to take our baths. When I was a junior, I started washing my hair every third day, and I took a bath every other day. I didn't fill the tub up all the way either. The water was to only be deep enough to come to my wrist when I put my hand in, fingers touching the bottom of the tub.

We washed our hair with Breck Shampoo, and did a second rinse with Rinse Away or I preferred vinegar in water. My hair was thick and to my waist. Getting all of the shampoo out was important. We didn't have a hair dryer, so I sat on the floor in front of the natural gas furnace so that I could brush my hair while it was running. Then I put my hair up in curlers I made from small frozen juice cans. Dad helped me poke holes in them, so there would be air circulation. Every morning after I ate breakfast and before I walked to school, I sat cross legged on the dining room table so I was up high enough for Dad to braid my hair. Yep, I slept in those huge *curlers* all night, then he braided my hair. Did a braid off to one side, then wound it in a figure 8 at the back of my head. Held it in place with a huge leather 'saddle' over a chignon. When I had headaches I didn't bother with the curlers, Mom would then braid my hair and weave and wrap it around my head like a proper Norwegian peasant girl. Then cover the lower portion with a chignon. 

We also wore our skirts to just below the knee cap. The fashion trend during the last two years of high school was for shorter hems. By the time I graduated, the hems were halfway between the tops of our knees and 'Possible'. Not at all comfortable for me. Too much skin exposed to the wind and rain. 

In my 20's I took to wearing pantyhose. Thought I would like them because there was no garter strap getting caught on chairs and snapping me when I stood up. Wore them for years before I finally grew to detest them. Went back to *Real Nylons* held up with garters. Learned that if I wore Pettipants (http://morningsprinklesandeveninggunfire.wordpress.com/2013/09/22/ms-slips/ ) instead of slips that ending the 'snapping'.