What Is the Law of Sarah?

kaydell

I've been answering questions about Mormon Doctrine on Yahoo Answers and the "Law of Sarah" has been mentioned a couple of times that I've seen.

What is the Law of Abraham and what is the Law of Sarah

"Law of Sarah" on lds.org

https://www.lds.org/search?lang=eng&query=%22Law+of+Sarah%22

Does the Law of Abraham mean that it was OK to have more than one wife and did the law of Sarah mean that the first wife would have to give permission for a man to take a second wife?

Is this what the Law of Sarah means?

Edited by kaydell
Generalized the link

I'm reluctant to equate "law of Abraham" with polygamy; though I believe that's basically what the Fundies do.

Your summation if "Law of Sarah" is basically what I was taught; but it's kind of nebulous. The phrase "law of Sarah" doesn't turn up, as near as I can tell, in either the Journal of Discourses or any Conference talk.

Here are a few things I found on it:

"Concubines were common during this time, and I find it remarkable that neither Sarai nor Abram had resorted to such means of having children before they did. It was ten years after they left Haran before Abram took Hagar to wife-ten years since he had first received the promise. There is no indication that he ever reproached Sarai for her barrenness, though as the years passed, the flocks and herds increased, but Abram didn't.

"Because in the scriptures years of history are condensed into a few words, it sometimes seems that biblical characters lived charmed lives. This brevity can lead to the misconception that favored servants of God were spared day-to-day frustrations, that they were immune to crushed hopes and human emotions. Nothing could be further from the truth. Yet only once did Abram betray his grief. In secret, he chided the Lord, saying that he from whom a great nation was to spring had only a servant for an heir. The Lord responded with a reiteration of his promise.

"Acting under the 'law of Sarah' (see D&C 132:65), Sarai suggested that Abram accept Hagar as his concubine. They hoped that in his doing so, the promise might be fulfilled. Hagar was an Egyptian, given to Sarai by Pharaoh and taken by Abram and Sarai out of Egypt to a foreign land and a strange way of life. Likely she was young, a favorite of her mistress, and likely she had no say in the matter. She was considered property and was so subservient that the thought of her consorting with Abram gave Sarai the least possible pang. Her child, if she had one, was to be raised by Sarai as her own. The arrangement was an expedient, physical adjustment, with Hagar providing a fertile womb, nothing more." (Jerrie W. Hurd, Our Sisters in the Bible [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1983], 9 - 10)

"'Sarah gave Hagar to Abraham in accordance with law. It is known that, according to the Code of Hammurabi, which, in many respects, resembles the later Mosaic law, if a man's wife was childless, he was allowed to take a concubine and bring her into his house, though he was not to place her upon an equal footing with his first wife. This was the law in the country from which Abraham came. A concubine was a wife of inferior social rank.' (SS, 831.)

"The 'law of Sarah' seems to be the approval given by the first wife for the husband to take additional wives, in order to 'raise up seed' unto the Lord (D&C 132:61, 64-65). Even though God commanded Abraham to take Hagar to wife, Sarah, as the first wife, gave her approval (D&C 132:34). It appears that if the first wife will not give her approval, however, after having been properly taught the priesthood propriety of such action, she is under condemnation and the husband is exempt from this 'law of permission.'

"A caution should be issued in relation to this law. Currently this law and all principles pertaining to the practice of plural marriage have been officially suspended by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Since 1890, this has been the position proclaimed by the prophets of God." (Hoyt W. Brewster, Jr., Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1988], 317)

Here are a few things I found on it:

"Concubines were common during this time, and I find it remarkable that neither Sarai nor Abram had resorted to such means of having children before they did. It was ten years after they left Haran before Abram took Hagar to wife-ten years since he had first received the promise. There is no indication that he ever reproached Sarai for her barrenness, though as the years passed, the flocks and herds increased, but Abram didn't.

"Because in the scriptures years of history are condensed into a few words, it sometimes seems that biblical characters lived charmed lives. This brevity can lead to the misconception that favored servants of God were spared day-to-day frustrations, that they were immune to crushed hopes and human emotions. Nothing could be further from the truth. Yet only once did Abram betray his grief. In secret, he chided the Lord, saying that he from whom a great nation was to spring had only a servant for an heir. The Lord responded with a reiteration of his promise.

"Acting under the 'law of Sarah' (see D&C 132:65), Sarai suggested that Abram accept Hagar as his concubine. They hoped that in his doing so, the promise might be fulfilled. Hagar was an Egyptian, given to Sarai by Pharaoh and taken by Abram and Sarai out of Egypt to a foreign land and a strange way of life. Likely she was young, a favorite of her mistress, and likely she had no say in the matter. She was considered property and was so subservient that the thought of her consorting with Abram gave Sarai the least possible pang. Her child, if she had one, was to be raised by Sarai as her own. The arrangement was an expedient, physical adjustment, with Hagar providing a fertile womb, nothing more." (Jerrie W. Hurd, Our Sisters in the Bible [salt Lake City: Deseret Book Co., 1983], 9 - 10)

"'Sarah gave Hagar to Abraham in accordance with law. It is known that, according to the Code of Hammurabi, which, in many respects, resembles the later Mosaic law, if a man's wife was childless, he was allowed to take a concubine and bring her into his house, though he was not to place her upon an equal footing with his first wife. This was the law in the country from which Abraham came. A concubine was a wife of inferior social rank.' (SS, 831.)

"The 'law of Sarah' seems to be the approval given by the first wife for the husband to take additional wives, in order to 'raise up seed' unto the Lord (D&C 132:61, 64-65). Even though God commanded Abraham to take Hagar to wife, Sarah, as the first wife, gave her approval (D&C 132:34). It appears that if the first wife will not give her approval, however, after having been properly taught the priesthood propriety of such action, she is under condemnation and the husband is exempt from this 'law of permission.'

"A caution should be issued in relation to this law. Currently this law and all principles pertaining to the practice of plural marriage have been officially suspended by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. Since 1890, this has been the position proclaimed by the prophets of God." (Hoyt W. Brewster, Jr., Doctrine and Covenants Encyclopedia [salt Lake City: Bookcraft, 1988], 317)

Am I reading this right? If the first wife gives permission, her husband can take a second wife, but if the first wife does *not* give her permission, then she is under condemnation and the husband can take a second wife without her permission? :huh:

Am I reading this right? If the first wife gives permission, her husband can take a second wife, but if the first wife does *not* give her permission, then she is under condemnation and the husband can take a second wife without her permission? :huh:

That was under the old law back in their time.

No, she is only under condemnation if taking on the second wife is God's will. Very important distinction.

I took the part of "after being taught the priesthood propriety of such an action" to mean "she understands that this is what her husband has to do before taking a second wife" (i.e. she knows he has to ask her before he takes a second wife), but she doesn't say "yes", that puts her under condemnation.

Jenamarie, the way it was explained to me included an emphasis on verse 64: "If any man have a wife, who holds the keys of this power . . ." The subsequent warning to the wife, and husband's exemption to the Law of Sarah, applies only to couples where the husband holds the keys of the sealing power--i.e., the Presiding High Priest (or President) of the Church. Which would make sense, when you think about it--how could Joseph Smith (or Brigham Young, or John Taylor) effectively teach a principle that they themselves were not living?

I took the part of "after being taught the priesthood propriety of such an action" to mean "she understands that this is what her husband has to do before taking a second wife" (i.e. she knows he has to ask her before he takes a second wife), but she doesn't say "yes", that puts her under condemnation.

Right - it can only be done under the Priesthood. Everything done under that Priesthood authority is the will of God. If it wasn't the will of God, it wouldn't be under the Priesthood. So, if her husband wanted a second wife just because he wanted one - and not because his Priesthood authority requires of it, then Sarah saying No wouldn't cause her condemnation. Saying No to a requirement to fulfill a Priesthood duty would cause Abram to lose his promised blessings putting the condemnation not on Abram but on Sarah.

Edited by anatess

I have heard that some of the polygamy endorsed by priesthood authority was part of the Church Welfare system back in Brigham Young's day. Widows and children whose father passed away would be supported by a new husband.

A successful and financially able man would be called to marry the widow and to provide for her and her children. Maybe this sort of thing would be a case where the first wife would be condemned for saying "no" to her husband accepting his calling to marry another wife because the calling was done by priesthood authority for worthy reasons.

I have heard that some of the polygamy endorsed by priesthood authority was part of the Church Welfare system back in Brigham Young's day. Widows and children whose father passed away would be supported by a new husband.

A successful and financially able man would be called to marry the widow and to provide for her and her children. Maybe this sort of thing would be a case where the first wife would be condemned for saying "no" to her husband accepting his calling to marry another wife because the calling was done by priesthood authority for worthy reasons.

Could be true in some cases; but I wouldn't hang my hat on it. The primary reason for polygamy, as set forth in scripture, is children. Church history does have examples where men--even men who probably should have known better--made token (or no) efforts to support their polygamous wives.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I understand that part of the reason that plural marriage was practiced back in the early days of the LDS Church was that the Church sent out missionaries all over the world and that they converted more women than men and that all of these women needed LDS husbands.

Can somebody confirm this?