Quakers on the Moon

Lakumi

Being a bit inspired after discussing that opinion Brigham Young had about people living on the moon and falling asleep while watching the movie Castle in the Sky, I awoke and jotted down some things and thought the idea would make a real neat one for a book, a fun book.

So many of my stories can be grim, and I wanted to write something that, if I ever sold it, it would be something you'd possibly want in your homes, and not as mulch in the garden:lol:

So I ask you all, what do you think they'd be like? What sorts of culture and customs and religions? Names?

I already started on some drawings and will post them soon.

And no this isn't going to be a sci fi thing, there's a part where a young girl gets down to earth with a rope so... yeah I think it would be for a less serious perhaps younger audience.

Edited by Lakumi

It is an interesting idea. My first thought (maybe it was the reference to a girl climbing a rope between the two worlds) was of Lewis Carrol's "Wonderland" universe or L. Frank Baum's "Oz". A world where things and "people" are fantastical and whimsical and completely different from what is on Earth.

I know, not really much specific to help with. It still sounds like it could be an interesting project.

Yeah it could be like that, at least that's how the buildings are looking, giant spiral roofs, the church is a triangle, (and a triangular prism on top) every side the same and the walls sapphire (the roof gold) and a door on all 3 sides, flanked by a massive stained glass window on each side.

What sorts of culture and customs and religions?
More question than answer: How do these people view the Earth? Is there enough communication around the moon for all to know about the earth, or is there a "conflict" between the earth side people and those on the other side who would never see the earth?

More question than answer: How do these people view the Earth? Is there enough communication around the moon for all to know about the earth, or is there a "conflict" between the earth side people and those on the other side who would never see the earth?

No the earth is a quirky place to them, they've not made official contact due to not having built a rope long enough. Most of them seem to have little interest in going down there

The earth at that time is in the mid 1800s so obviously we've never gone up there.

Two characters does go down there via rope.

There are myths the two were once one big society until something called the friendship chain broke and the two floated away from eachother.

Being a bit inspired after discussing that opinion Brigham Young had about people living on the moon and falling asleep while watching the movie Castle in the Sky, I awoke and jotted down some things and thought the idea would make a real neat one for a book, a fun book.

So many of my stories can be grim, and I wanted to write something that, if I ever sold it, it would be something you'd possibly want in your homes, and not as mulch in the garden:lol:

So I ask you all, what do you think they'd be like? What sorts of culture and customs and religions? Names?

I already started on some drawings and will post them soon.

And no this isn't going to be a sci fi thing, there's a part where a young girl gets down to earth with a rope so... yeah I think it would be for a less serious perhaps younger audience.

I like this idea.

• 4 months later...

I wasn't gonna start a new thread because of this, but I finally got a good start that I liked and wanted to share it with you all.

So it begun with the breaking of the friendship chain, some thought it was the (non Christian) Vespertil's who did it (these hairy-winged humanoids that only live to about 150-200 years vs the Lunar Human's 1000 average span)

and there arises much problems over it. Eventually even the church (The Lunar Church of Christ they call it) splits and the ones who feel the Vespertil's are innocent leave and are excommunicated. They are soon run out of many towns and go live with the Vespertil's who welcome them with open arms.
Soon after the two join societies their religions meld and the Vespertil's take on the Lunar Bible (which is a lot like the regular bible save for a few books taking place on the moon) as cannon scripture and create a unique brand of Lunar Christianity.

But soon the Lunar Humans (called Lunarites) want to see Earth again, having been gone for so long, create a rope and attempt to rekindle the friendship we (they call Earthenites) and they had.

Go eat some ice cream and chill.....also just a friendly reminder .....think about how many you have taken off topic....he who lives in a glass house shouldn't throw rocks. :)

You're responding to something I said like 6 months ago, I am hardly in the same frame of mind then, or even as I was at the beginning of summer.

I promised pam when I came back that my old ways were behind me, I've heard that Peter Tosh song, though in my past I was renown for being a hippocryte :lol:

I knew by and large a good chunk didn't like me, (or still don't I imagine) and normally my additude was not to care, you develop those feelings when you go threw life where most don't like you, but I thought I should try to exist and not be crazy all the time with everyone here.

I am not proud of a lot of what I've said here, and do apoligize for a lot of the crazy things I have done and just general annoyance I have been.

I don't wish to publically discuss what "I used to do" because it's embarassing, I'm perfectly happy to talk about it in PM, but I want to try and start anew here.

I knew by and large a good chunk didn't like me, (or still don't I imagine) and normally my additude was not to care, you develop those feelings when you go threw life where most don't like you, but I thought I should try to exist and not be crazy all the time with everyone here.

I am not proud of a lot of what I've said here, and do apoligize for a lot of the crazy things I have done and just general annoyance I have been.

I don't know what you refer to but I can speak for myself and say I like you and I missed your posts :) and you are not annoying! I believe I understand you a bit more than the rest perhaps because of one of my sons. :) Glad to see you back.