Joseph Smith\'s Polygamy by Brian C. Hales

andypg

I've read a few interviews Brian C. Hales has done on the topic of Joseph Smith and polygamy. Honestly, it's a topic that I have been indifferent about (even when I was investigating the Church, I just didn't care). But now after hearing these interviews, I kind of want to research this a bit. That and my desire to get into more of Church history, I was thinking this would be a good place to start.

Has anyone read the books Joseph Smith's Polygamy? I'm considering getting the ebooks. Are they any good?

Also, in an unrelated topic, how is the book History of Joseph Smith by His Mother?

I've read a few interviews Brian C. Hales has done on the topic of Joseph Smith and polygamy. Honestly, it's a topic that I have been indifferent about (even when I was investigating the Church, I just didn't care). But now after hearing these interviews, I kind of want to research this a bit. That and my desire to get into more of Church history, I was thinking this would be a good place to start.

Has anyone read the books Joseph Smith's Polygamy? I'm considering getting the ebooks. Are they any good?

Also, in an unrelated topic, how is the book History of Joseph Smith by His Mother?

Not read the first book you mentioned. Have read the second one. Very good book.

I have read all three volumes. I highly recommend for anyone interested in the subject. The only criticism that can be leveled at them is that he is pro-LDS, and therefore some see his conclusions as biased. I feel that is a good thing. A very good thing.

I have read all three volumes. I highly recommend for anyone interested in the subject. The only criticism that can be leveled at them is that he is pro-LDS, and therefore some see his conclusions as biased. I feel that is a good thing. A very good thing.

Is it a complicated read or would I be able to get through it fairly easily? So far I\'m thinking of only reading volume 1 (or the ebony volume 1a) for now.

If I was only reading one volume I'd go with volume 3 (Theology). Volume One and Two are linked, so it would be like watching half a play and skipping out at intermission. Not, exactly the same as that, of course, because it's not a story, per se. But still...the point, Vol 2 is a continuation of Vol 1.

My sense is that it is a moderately complicated read, but not excessively so. It's hard to judge that because it depends on your reading level and focus, etc. I found it interesting enough to keep my interest. It's really quite a fascinating subject. But I also read it (the 3 volume set) bit by bit over several months (5 or 6) and so I don't have a perspective of reading it cover to cover more quickly.