Family Tradition

Gabelma

I was wondering if anyone had incorporated any family traditions that are a little different but teach or introduce the gospel to their children.

We have just started a special meal on the Saturday night we light candles, read a scripture, discuss where our food came from how it was grown etc and say a special blessing and for us this now starts the Sabbath. And we have started making a family quilt for Family Home Evening my daughter really drinks this kind of thing in, like we have chilli bean soup on Monday because it reminds my daughter of the Holy Ghost (makes her feel warm inside lol she is only 3)

Would love some ideas

Charley

Guest Yediyd

I was wondering if anyone had incorporated any family traditions that are a little different but teach or introduce the gospel to their children.

We have just started a special meal on the Saturday night we light candles, read a scripture, discuss where our food came from how it was grown etc and say a special blessing and for us this now starts the Sabbath. And we have started making a family quilt for Family Home Evening my daughter really drinks this kind of thing in, like we have chilli bean soup on Monday because it reminds my daughter of the Holy Ghost (makes her feel warm inside lol she is only 3)

Would love some ideas

Charley

We sing "happy birthday to Jesus" and have a b-day cake for him on Christmas...we also read Luke 2 before we open presents...now, since converting to LDS...we have started having the b-day cake for Jesus on his REAL b-day...April 6th.

<div class='quotemain'>

Would love some ideas

Charley

We sing "happy birthday to Jesus" and have a b-day cake for him on Christmas...we also read Luke 2 before we open presents...now, since converting to LDS...we have started having the b-day cake for Jesus on his REAL b-day...April 6th.

Assuming, of course, that that is His real date of birth.

That sounds good we do a Jesus birthday cake at Christmas - we do the pagan based stuff on Christmas Eve, opening our gifts and our big meal etc - we treat Christmas Day more like the sabbath, we change Father Christmas on the top of the tree for a Star would ideally like to have a temple, we have a nice buffet style meal and its the one time I do allow paper plates. Then we live near the river and sea so we make paper boats if the weather is nice with a promise or present to the Lord. Sometimes we go near the mountains take a picnic and let balloons go. Iam thinking of revising it though as its my least enviromentally friendly day so not very Christlike I guess lol

I like the idea of the 6th - maybe turning conference into a special holiday weekend - we used to do that in YSA

Charley

<div class='quotemain'>

<div class='quotemain'>

Would love some ideas

Charley

I've always learned that it was April 6th. Even Spencer W. Kimball in opening a session of general conference mentions this.

My brothers and sisters and friends, another April has come, and with it the birthdate of the Church, organized on the birthday of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, which we have celebrated on the sixth of April. This weekend, we conduct the 144th Annual Conference of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.