Applying for jobs in the USA

Mahone

It's getting closer to the date when my wife and myself will be moving to the states. As a result, I've started looking at IT related jobs in Florida just to get a general feel of pay scales and availability in the individual areas.

I do have one question from the results I've seen though. Many jobs that I feel would be ideal for me as I meet all the other requirements, append the clause of "U.S. citizens only" to the job description and requirements meaning I'm not eligible to apply as I'll only be a legal resident, at least for the first three years that I'll be living in the states.

When this is stated on the job description, is it to be taken at face value, or are they using the wrong terminology and really mean you have to be able to legally work in the US whether a US citizen or legal resident?

I admit I do feel a little bit disadvantaged as a result of this clause, so many jobs I've seen include it and makes me wonder how easy it'll be for me to find employment once we move.

Thanks

I wouldn't let that stop you for one second.  First, you'll be legal to work in the USA and you speak English... so no problem there.

Second, many job descriptions are "wish lists".  I've had many jobs where a "bachelor's degree" was required... but I didn't have that level of education.

So apply for the jobs you want and see what happens!

Edit:  Pam brings up a good point... but you won't know if that's the case until you apply.

I can see where DHK is going with that.  I can see how some employers may put that in there to avoid the risk or possibility of hiring those who are illegally here.

I guess it depends on who the employer is, who do they do work for (contracted) etc.

I just know in my experience of working for the Department of Defense for 18 years, that because of security clearances citizenship was required.

Thanks both

Pam - presumably naturalization isn't distinguished from natural-born-citizen at this point, at least in most cases?

I am obviously eligible to apply for the former further down the line to remove this disadvantage from my career path, but can never obtain the latter. 

Thanks

I am obviously eligible to apply for the former further down the line to remove this disadvantage from my career path, but can never obtain the latter.

Why, were you born by C-section? (Ba-da-bum CRASH!!!)

Seriously--a minority of companies may have security issues; but I think generally it\'s just code for \"illegal aliens need not apply\".