W. Craig Zwick - Saturday pm Session

There exists today a great need for men and women to cultivate a respect for each other.

Practice asking this question:  “What are you thinking?”

Shouldn’t we think and react with empathy?

We need to stop and understand the others perspective.

Looking through another”s eyes will cease corrupt understanding.

Ministering grace can change us.

We need to have empathy for the feelings and thoughts of others.

I loved how realistic this talk was.  It wasn't all sunshine, rainbows, and ponies.  A husband and wife had a fight, yelled at each other, blamed and accused each other, and one gave the other the "silent treatment."  And yet, here he is, a General Authority, giving a talk in Conference.  Obviously the story gave a good jumping-off point of what not to do, but I thought the honesty and realism of the story was refreshing.  I also loved how he crafted the story.  He crescendoed and sped up, pausing and waiting at just the right moments.  He built anticipation and engaged the audience very well.  He seemed like he had professional public speaking experience (almost like broadcast experience or something).

He is a very good speaker. I enjoyed this one a lot.

Interestingly he helped me see both sides of the issue. If my wife jumped out of a moving truck with our baby I'd be MAD! But, how courageous and thoughtless. Very thought provoking. I liked that he said it was their concern for each other's welfare that got them through the frustration.

This was a great talk. I'm going to have to figure a way to get my son to read/listen to it.  He's a generally a nice guy, but boy, he can have a harsh mouth over the littlest things. I don't know where he gets it. I've always been respectful of him on a psychological level - I didn't say things to him that I thought would be psychologically damaging. Ex - you don't say 'you're a bad boy.' you say 'what you've done wasn't a good choice.'  His father treated him like a prince. When it came to our son, even when we had to discipilne, we were so careful with him and how we spoke to him.

Flash forward to adulthood and he's like BBC Sherlock. 'How stupid are you?' 'Didn't I say X? Don't you understand X?'  etc. Even to girlfriends. He calls it being forthright, but it can certainly border on the rude. Sometimes I have to stop the conversation and remind him that I'm his mom and not to take 'that' tone. It's not even in an arguement. I'm talking the choice of words for regular conversation.  I despair of his keeping a girlfriend because he doesn't listen to 'girl talk.' I get a lot of "I don't know why she was crying, all I said was xxxx."

I hope he will take this talk to mind. He is a nice guy, despite what I just said. Maybe it's some kind of undiscovered only child syndrome or something.